DL1000A - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 04-16-2014, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

DL1000A

I had a layover in Edinburgh. So what better to spend the day, than @ a motorcycle shop. Saltire motorcycle was having a Suzuki demo day. So I got a local map, and found my way there. Very nice people. It was blustery and intermittent rain, so I didn't want to ride the bikes. I figured riding on the left, with rain wind etc was a little much after just flying all night. But Monday dawned sunny and bright. So back to Saltire I went. rented their new DL1000 ADVenture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Edinbourgh 004.jpg (60.7 KB, 63 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-16-2014, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

They I borrowed a map from them, and advice on where to head head for the day. South toward the "Borders" area.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Edinbourgh 005.jpg (35.9 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg Edinbourgh 006.jpg (35.1 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg Edinbourgh 007.jpg (40.6 KB, 28 views)
post #3 of 9 Old 04-16-2014, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

I came upon this sign. and just had to check it out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Edinbourgh 013.jpg (39.5 KB, 24 views)

post #4 of 9 Old 04-16-2014, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

I never found the place. However the road turned into gravel, with some pot holes, and some wet sections. When the road forked, there was a sign about a forest loop. So I just had to explore it. That road was great, nice gravel road up through the mountains. They had been doing some logging recently up there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Edinbourgh 008.jpg (35.8 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Edinbourgh 010.jpg (41.3 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Edinbourgh 011.jpg (43.6 KB, 21 views)
post #5 of 9 Old 04-16-2014, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Back to the twisty tarmac. I headed down to a town called Peebles. There is a fish hatchery there, and I saw lots of fisherman on the river. That was one beautiful valley, and neat quant little town. As I was heading back, I saw a sing for an old fort. Just had to check that out too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Edinbourgh 018.jpg (19.6 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Edinbourgh 020.jpg (41.6 KB, 16 views)
post #6 of 9 Old 04-16-2014, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

So my impression of the new bike. I currently ride a K8DL650 and a DRZ400.
I have spent some time on the old version of the dL1000. I believe this is a very changed bike. I expected something similar to the old, but it wasn't, at all. The new bike feels light, at first I thought too light for a touring bike, almost twitchy. But after riding for a while, I found it very well mannered.
I think the fuel mapping could be better, it can be little jerky at slow speeds in traffic, and you have to work at that. I also caught a few minor pops, like backfire. When I told Abe at the dealer about that, he said the one they demoed in Spain didn't do that. So they were discussing the issue with Suzuki. They had noticed the same thing. Egonomics was great compared to the old 650, seat surprisingly comfy. But somehow the turn signal switch was hard to use. I think just getting used to it would be whats needed. This bike is so much better than my 650 in dirt and gravel that it's hard to believe it's of the same family. I don't think as planted on twisty pavement, but still very good.
It even sounds good. All in all, I really like it, very impressive. I would like a lower first gear, and maybe a wider ratio gear box. Maybe I will get another chance at it next week.
post #7 of 9 Old 04-16-2014, 06:43 PM
Banned

Great pics and a great review

Sounds like you got to give the new 1000 a good test.

Thanks for sharing
post #8 of 9 Old 04-16-2014, 06:49 PM
Banned

Excellent ride report. Bike looks great with accessories fitted like the spotlights.

Good to hear your impressions about the new 1000ABS and especially how good it is on gravel and dirt.

You had the chance to see and ride scenery that not most people would see on a layover, and you you did it on a new V-Strom. I love how Adventure bikes like the new 1000ABS allow the opportunity to do this.

Every Ride an Adventure
post #9 of 9 Old 04-16-2014, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Hay Mod, this should not have been moved. It was as much about a ride in Scotland, as about the new big VEE. Meant for anyone interested, not just current DL1000 riders.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode