2014 VStrom engine comparison - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 04-13-2014, 05:00 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

2014 VStrom engine comparison

taking the 2014 VStrom, putting all the new electronics and suspension aside. Looking just at the engine and compare it with the old DL 1000 engine. What is the real life differences in the actual acceleration and torque delivery. Is the new engine really stronger and faster on the highway in roll-on situation. I read a second ride report where the guys stated that the bike is flat in the high ref range and the top end is only about 200 kph. That doesn't bother me. How strong is the bike in a roll-on situation say from 130 kph to that claimed 200 kph or is the old engine stronger and quicker in that situation. I would appreciate info on this to make a decision on buying the 2014 or rather go for a 2012/2013 model. There is a guy at my sons work with a 07 DL 1000 which he bought new and has 214 000 km on the bike and its still going strong and he went from South Africa to Kilimandjaro several times now, thats like long way up and down. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-13-2014, 08:01 AM
Stromthusiast!

When if we have an old school test then you would get good dyno numbers 1/2 the story

I don't think there was an extensive test of the 04 upgrade to gauge, but there was good tests for the 02 introduction

However gearing will definitely influence real world roll on

The hype says that there is a redesigned head, cam exhaust all dedicated to fatten the torque curve in the mid range.

If your conservative and patient then wait until its been out for months, if not buy and never look back
post #3 of 7 Old 04-13-2014, 10:04 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I fully agree with richw that numbers are only half the story.

However that being said...

Here is the dyno chart that Suzuki provided in press release about the difference between the old and new DL1000. The Vee2 power curves are no less aggressive at any point than the power curves for the legacy Vee - including top-end. Moreover, the big torque bump down low is right where the engine RPM range sits while cruising, so in a roll-on situation you have all that juicy torque on tap immediately. Couple that with the new Vee2 being a lighter bike than the old one by a few pounds, and that the gearing is essentially unchanged except for second gear, it's a recipe for better performance throughout the whole performance envelope - all other things (especially gearing!) being equal. I have no seat time on a legacy Vee but can tell you the new one does not lack for passing or roll-on power in the least!

Blue is legacy Vee, Red is Veek...err....Vee2: (it would have been nice to include RPM gridlines)

Here are some other numbers for consideration:

Legacy DL1000:
0-60 in 3.4 seconds
1/4 mile 11.94 sec. @ 109.9 mph
60 to 80 in 6th gear 4.48 sec.
Sourced from: https://www.stromtrooper.com/v-strom-...dl-1000-a.html

2014 DL1000A:
0-60 in 3.1 seconds
1/4 mile 11.60 sec. @ 112.82 mph
60-80 MPH in 6th gear 3.6 sec <-- That's your torque bump talkin'
Sourced from: 2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS- Road Test Review- Dyno- Specs- Photos

"Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even usually surpassing knowledge." - E.J. Potter

post #4 of 7 Old 04-13-2014, 10:21 AM
Stromthusiast!

Thanks for the excellent graph and numbers! I read about the flatter torque curve in Cycle World ( I think) but its nice to see how it would actually translate to real world riding. Im hoping Suzuki have a demo day test ride event so i can swing a leg over one.

k
post #5 of 7 Old 04-13-2014, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

thank's

it will help me make up my mind. Bike is not at shop's yet but will be in this month
post #6 of 7 Old 04-13-2014, 09:09 PM
Stromthusiast!

I've owned both a first generation DL 1000 and a new Beak Strom. The difference in engines is huge from 2500 to 4000 rpm. Above that the difference is miniscule. The new bike allows much less shifting because the engine will willingly accelerate from 2500 rpm instead of 4000.
The steering and suspension are also quite a bit nicer.
post #7 of 7 Old 04-13-2014, 11:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zasolo View Post
it will help me make up my mind. Bike is not at shop's yet but will be in this month
Trust me, the new 1000 will knock your socks off! :mrgreen:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode