Tire pressure with passenger - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 04-12-2014, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Tire pressure with passenger

Is it an error in the owner's manual or it is ok to have the same recommended tire pressure with or without passenger ?
In the owner manual (page 6-38) it is mentioned for solo riding and dual riding at the same PSI (36 front and 42 rear tire).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-12-2014, 09:32 PM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
You can use 42psi solo or 2 up. I do and never carry a passenger. That can change with a different tire brand. For maximum load carrying ability, use the max pressure cast in the tire sidewall.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informa...-you-have.html
post #3 of 6 Old 04-12-2014, 11:12 PM
Stromthusiast!

I like 38/42 solo, but I'm 250 pounds and run 3 loaded hard bags almost 100% of the time.....

You just have to experiment some and find what psi works well. Tire wear and cupping are the determining factors. The best thing for front tire wear is having the correct springs too. I've had to upgrade fork springs on my bikes just for cupping issues. I get very little cupping with my Sonic 1.0 springs and I don't have to crank down the front preload all the way anymore. :mrgreen:

post #4 of 6 Old 04-21-2014, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Thank you for your comforting comments.
post #5 of 6 Old 04-21-2014, 09:02 AM
Stromthusiast!

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard101 View Post
Is it an error in the owner's manual or it is ok to have the same recommended tire pressure with or without passenger ?
In the owner manual (page 6-38) it is mentioned for solo riding and dual riding at the same PSI (36 front and 42 rear tire).
No its not an error Front TP 36 PSI REAR TP 41 PSI FOR VSTROM DL 1000 OR DL 650 its the same for both bikes with the stock factory Bridgestone Trail Wing tires front is 110 80R 19 and the rear is 150 70R 17 .I find these tires to suit me well ,but will be going with the acclaimed true "50/50" dual sport Heidenau K60 Scout tires when these BRIDGESTONES WEAR OUT !

RICK
PSALM 31

REMEMBER YOUR SAFETY FIRST ALWAYS WEAR YOUR HELMET

My Current Motorcycles

2010 Honda VFR1200F Manual ABS Sport Touring

2008 Kawasaki VN2000J Vulcan 2000 Classic LT Big 2053 cc Cruiser
post #6 of 6 Old 04-21-2014, 01:19 PM
Stromthusiast!

Tire inflation pressure is one of those things where there is no consensus. What cold inflation pressures are listed on the sticker on your swing arm? Those are the minimums*. I like those for everyday solo riding. 41 psi is the required cold pressure to carry the max load the bike is rated to carry. 42 psi is the required cold pressure for the max load the tire is rated to carry. Also, keep in mind that the tire is the first impact absorber in the the chain--the springs are next. Higher inflation pressure transmits more jolt to the rest of the system.

Generally the tire needs more cold inflation press to carry more weight. There are excellent load/inflation pressure tables for trucks, but not much publicly available for cars, and very little for motorcycles. Here's Avon's guidelines for an example:
Avon Motorcycle Tyres North America » Tire Pressure Guidelines
(and I don't understand why they want more front pressure 2-up when all the weight is over the rear wheel.)

*It is common practice to lower tire pressure when riding off road at slow speed for better dirt traction.

Tire flex causes heat, and lower pressure allows more flex. Overheated tires can fail. Low pressure high speed operation is a bad practice. Also, tires need to be normally warm for best traction on pavement. The amount of heat is determined by the speed and the amount of tire flex, which is determined by the pressure. It is good to lower the pressure for more flex and more warmth in cold weather, but not below the minimum needed to carry the load. It is good to raise the pressure a couple of psi in hot weather to avoid excessive tire heat.

"Older people who are reasonable, good-tempered, and gracious will bear aging well. Those who are mean-spirited and irritable will be unhappy at every period of their lives.

"Let each of use properly whatever strengths he has and strive to use them well. If he does this, he will never find himself lacking."

Marcus Tullius Cicero
44 B.C.

Last edited by PTRider; 04-21-2014 at 01:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode