Standard or ADV? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old 04-06-2014, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Standard or ADV?

My ADV is coming in later this month. The dealer here in Ohio has a red Standard in stock that is not sold. I'm looking for some opinions from past Strom owners as to which way is "best" to go: STD or ADV? I would guess this is kinda like asking what is the best oil, or chain lube, or tire and so on...... What I'm really asking is, do the aftermarket options offer a better ADV package or would you start with Suzuki's version and build from there? Or, maybe an answer is to buy the ADV model and part out the Suzuki stuff for lower than the ridiculous new Suzuki accessory pricing and upgrade later??

Thoughts?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

2014 VStrom ADV 1000 - The VBeak!
See my life on the new VStrom at VBeak.Blogspot.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 04-06-2014, 09:17 AM
$tromtrooper

PhilS14,
I pondered the same questions. In the end, I was sick of the talk and took the red Vee2. I am VERY happy. It was $1500 less $$$, and I can buy a lot of farkles for that amount. Also, I do not love the handguards, and read on this site that the skidplate is very cheaply made. Also, for me, I do not need the panniers and have a great Givi V46 from my '11 Wee that I will retrofit as soon as the connecting plate is released by Givi. Also, I was not sure of the aftermarket and how they might connect to the o.e.m. Suzuki engine guards.
There are some companies that made/make highway pegs, and wanted to wait to see how the engine guards/ skidplate/ highway peg thing panned out.

In the end there is no wrong decision. I was under the impression that those that ordered the adventure model were having their bikes delivered without the accessories, and that they were backordered and would be installed when Suzuki released them. Finally, I really like SW Motech and Givi's products, and am waiting to see what they might offer. This is in addition of course to all the fine aftermarket companies both small and large, that support the Vstroms. Good luck with your decision.
post #3 of 32 Old 04-06-2014, 11:18 AM
Stromthusiast!

I own an older wee, but have been of the opinion that I could farkle the bike to my satisfaction for way less than $1,500. But for some guys that might buy Jesse panniers for instance, the $1,500 would go quick. The panniers are going to be the largest expense, so it would depend on what after market setup you were thinking of getting. I am happy with Givi racks and knock-off pelicans, so I'd save a ton. Even if you went with Happy Trails, you'd be into it for $600-$900, still a lot left over for a windshield and engine guards, etc. You could possibly pick up a set of take-off bags from a Glee as some people sell those.

06 V-Strom DL650

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

post #4 of 32 Old 04-06-2014, 11:30 AM
$tromtrooper

I have shared with my wife that Stromtroopers are a frugal bunch with a sprinkling of ingenuity. John V Strom Jr. makes a good point. Not needing side bags was an important consideration for me not to purchase the Adventure model. 99% of the time I do day trips, and don't need the expense/weight/clutter of panniers. When I travel/camp, I utilize my Givi V46 topcase, and drybags strapped to the bike with Rok straps - works for me.
post #5 of 32 Old 04-06-2014, 11:46 AM
Stromthusiast!

Mine will be nekked. I've always seen the addon packages to be overpriced for what basically amounts to having the brand name on them. Aftermarket means big savings, better products.
post #6 of 32 Old 04-06-2014, 12:07 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToadRide View Post
Mine will be nekked. I've always seen the addon packages to be overpriced for what basically amounts to having the brand name on them. Aftermarket means big savings, better products.
Plus, more choices.

06 V-Strom DL650

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #7 of 32 Old 04-08-2014, 01:03 PM
Bbi
Stromthusiast!

The bags I saw at the motorcycle show were not acceptable. Way too small for touring. On my wee I have 36 litre GIVI bags, the cheap ones, E36s I think they call them. I am waiting for twisted throttle to come out with a mounting bracket that will take standard GIVI bags, then I can use the ones I currently have. Bags are important so some of us.
post #8 of 32 Old 04-08-2014, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Go for the standard, farkle away. And which dealer in central Ohio has one?

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #9 of 32 Old 04-10-2014, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

"VBEAK" might be mine tomorrow.....

ImageUploadedByMO Free1397173793.385190.jpg

post #10 of 32 Old 04-10-2014, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B View Post
Go for the standard, farkle away. And which dealer in central Ohio has one?

Competition Accessories. Problem though.....they are very proud of selling at list. Negotiating now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode