A Pair Of Stroms takes the new 1000 for a test ride - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 04-05-2014, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Thumbs up A Pair Of Stroms takes the new 1000 for a test ride

My brother and I got the chance to take the new V-Strom 1000 for a test ride today. Came away very, very impressed!

Took it from Sydney City Campbelltown. Good guys down there, and had no issues taking it for a good long ride. For something different, when each of us was test riding the new 1000, the other followed on our own 650's, so we really got a good opportunity to compare the two bikes.

Me with the new 1000

The new 1000 & FoxOrange's 650.

I will post a more detailed review soon (here & on my blog), and have some good footage from the Contour Helmet camera.

From the ride: That new 1000 is damn impressive, but the 650 will still hold it's own and was very surprising

More soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-05-2014, 01:40 AM
Stromthusiast!

Looking forward to your thoughts on the 1000. Judging by the (Pending) notation on your signature it looks like you may have made the same mistake as I did; taking a test drive. My pending deal is on a Khaki one. If all goes well will be picking it up tomorrow!
post #3 of 15 Old 04-05-2014, 02:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by breathnach View Post
Looking forward to your thoughts on the 1000. Judging by the (Pending) notation on your signature it looks like you may have made the same mistake as I did; taking a test drive. My pending deal is on a Khaki one. If all goes well will be picking it up tomorrow!
Nice going breathnach, you are very lucky to be picking up so soon.

Suzuki Australia had just announced yesterday that the Khaki will be coming to Australia. I have liked the Khaki since they first announced it, but since they never said Khaki was coming as a colour for us I had resigned myself to a Red one.

Not that the Red isn't a good colour, but with nearly every press shot and review being Red, I was almost getting tired of seeing it. I would really like to see some good quality shots of your Khaki when you get it, as this colour option is back on the board for me.

That being said, after todays test ride seeing zedex9r ride the 1000 next to me and then riding it myself and seeing reflections in the shop windows, the Red is started to grow on me again.

As for the test ride.....WOW. What an amazing machine. Suzuki have really hit a home run with this one

post #4 of 15 Old 04-05-2014, 12:32 PM
Stromthusiast!

FoxOrange,
Will post photos of new bike as soon as can. Like you I picked the Khaki from the get go and with all the red ones in the media coverage and seeing most people pick them as well it just confirmed it. And as you mentioned the test ride is an eyeopener. Initial thoughts were that new bike vs 2012 650 was about style, added HP, and TC. Ride though highlighted suspension, brakes, gear box, and torque. Too much smile factor to ignore. Although 650 is a great bike 1000 is better. In my deal I got them to swap out the Bridgestone Battlewings for Heidenau K60 Scouts. If they work half as well as they look I'll be a grinning fool!
post #5 of 15 Old 04-06-2014, 02:12 AM Thread Starter
Banned

I have started to write the review of the test ride, it is far from finished. It will be a long & wordy, but I am going to make sure it's a good proper review

You can start reading it here: V-STROM 1000 2014 TEST RIDE | A Pair of Stroms

Here is Part 1 of my video footage, more will be posted as I upload it.

Enjoy

Last edited by zedex9r; 04-06-2014 at 09:57 AM.
post #6 of 15 Old 04-07-2014, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Thumbs up 650 vs 1000!!!

Got this video finally posted - 650 vs 1000

Best viewed in HD:

post #7 of 15 Old 04-07-2014, 08:50 AM
Stromthusiast!

Cool! Drag racing...

I bet the 1000 will get up and go a bit faster with a pipe.

2012 Suzuki DL650AL2, over 45k miles already!
post #8 of 15 Old 04-07-2014, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post
Cool! Drag racing...

I bet the 1000 will get up and go a bit faster with a pipe.
Yeah agree on this.

I think that was also the reason why the 650 did so well, the addition of the Akrapovic pipe and K&N filter. These have really transformed the 650 and opened it up so that it could be revved out to redline and made power the whole time.

Plus the 650 is well run in, whereas the 1000 was still new.:mrgreen:

Riding the 1000 felt like riding the stock 650, it feels strangled at the top end. This was solved on the 650 and a pipe will do the same on the 1000.
post #9 of 15 Old 04-07-2014, 08:05 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedex9r View Post
Riding the 1000 felt like riding the stock 650, it feels strangled at the top end. This was solved on the 650 and a pipe will do the same on the 1000.
How much do you think the "strangling" up top is due to the bike not being run-in yet and my assumption you didn't hammer it since the bike is new?

Bottom line, do you want one after riding it?

06 V-Strom DL650

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #10 of 15 Old 04-07-2014, 08:18 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V Strom, Jr. View Post
How much do you think the "strangling" up top is due to the bike not being run-in yet and my assumption you didn't hammer it since the bike is new?

Bottom line, do you want one after riding it?
I tend to agree that the feeing of the engine being strangled is due to the "newness" of the engine. I just got back from a short ride, and did cheat and got my Vee2 up to 90 mph in 5th gear at 6000 rpm. More power than that I do not need ( it doesn't hurt that I got pulled over a few weeks ago in my car doing 84 in a 55,). I know my '11Wee's engine got better and better with time and really loosened up at 10000 miles. I could cruise all day at 85 mph ( indicated speed).
I bet the Vee2's engine will do the same.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode