oil filter - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 Old 03-30-2014, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

oil filter

Does anyone happen to know what oil filter this bike takes? I am due for a change and would rather not buy a Suzuki filter $$$$$$$.

Yeeeehaaaaaw!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 03-31-2014, 12:42 AM
Stromthusiast!

Typically, OEM oil filters are reasonably priced, considering they are built to a very high standard.

The DL1000A maintenance schedule calls for oil filter replacement every 18,000 km, with the exception of the first change at the 1,000 km mark. Oil changes are recommended every 6,000 km.

For me, the cost of a Suzuki OEM filter is a small price to pay to maintain this fine piece of machinery.
post #3 of 35 Old 03-31-2014, 01:42 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

you never gave me the filter number. I personally don't believe brand name filters such as Suzuki and Yamaha are any better than say a good fram filter.
Fram for instance runs a company based on manufacturing filters, they should be more than able to manufacture a top notch filter.

On a side note, how much oil have you guys burnt on your first few hundred km?
I am surprised at how much mine has burnt, I was well below the low line after only 200 km?

Yeeeehaaaaaw!

post #4 of 35 Old 03-31-2014, 01:49 AM
Stromthusiast!

Fram is owned by the Rank Group of New Zealand. Their cheapest are pretty junky. Their better ones are good, but overpriced compared to others. WIX are good. So is Hiflo HF138. No, oil filters are not all the same. A defective oil filter will ruin an engine...not common but possible. I'd rather save a coupl'a dollars on something with a less costly downside.

"Older people who are reasonable, good-tempered, and gracious will bear aging well. Those who are mean-spirited and irritable will be unhappy at every period of their lives.

"Let each of use properly whatever strengths he has and strive to use them well. If he does this, he will never find himself lacking."

Marcus Tullius Cicero
44 B.C.
post #5 of 35 Old 03-31-2014, 02:19 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Who is to say that these brand name filters are even made by the company's they endorse? They could very well be outsourcing companies such as fram to make the filters for them.

Besides Canadian tire has waaayyyy better hours then my local dealer, some of us work a 9-5 these days (dealer closes at 5).

Yeeeehaaaaaw!
post #6 of 35 Old 03-31-2014, 08:08 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xamdarb View Post
On a side note, how much oil have you guys burnt on your first few hundred km?
I am surprised at how much mine has burnt, I was well below the low line after only 200 km?
At 400 miles (not km) I haven't burned any that I can see, I'm still at the full mark. As another member here pointed out, are you checking with the bike on the sidestand or while holding the bike straight up and down?

"Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even usually surpassing knowledge." - E.J. Potter
post #7 of 35 Old 03-31-2014, 09:11 AM
$tromtrooper

I am not aware that breaking in a new engine will burn oil. I did not find this with my '11 Wee during the breaking in process. I will be riding my Vee2 this week, and keep an eye on the oil level.

BTW, is anyone changing the oil after the first 50-100 miles or so? I have been reading articles on breaking in engines, and there is much controversy. Some say that in spite of the excellent manufacturing process, there is still small metal pieces that accumulate in the oil filter. In addition, I have read that
we should stay in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear, speeding up to 65 m.p.h. with abrupt slowing down for the first 1-200 miles to properly break in the engine. That makes the most sense to me after my reading of different opinions. Any thoughts?
post #8 of 35 Old 03-31-2014, 10:52 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
the only bike I ever had that burned oil (out of at least 30) was my HD xr1200. I bought it new and it used a couple of quarts in the first couple thousand miles and then just quit using it. Common for that engine apparently.
post #9 of 35 Old 03-31-2014, 10:59 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirosyd View Post
...In addition, I have read that
we should stay in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear, speeding up to 65 m.p.h. with abrupt slowing down for the first 1-200 miles to properly break in the engine. That makes the most sense to me after my reading of different opinions. Any thoughts?
That sounds like the infamous "MotoMan" break-in procedure. While some people swear to it, I'll only consider it once "MotoMan" starts providing warranty on the engine. Until then, the break-in procedure per the engineers who actually designed and developed the bike is credible enough for me. The manual does say to not hold a constant speed, but to vary engine speed and that's what I also observe on my new vehicles as well. Drives people around you on the freeway a little crazy as you are always continuously gradually accelerating and decelerating but, oh well...

"Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even usually surpassing knowledge." - E.J. Potter
post #10 of 35 Old 03-31-2014, 11:27 AM
$tromtrooper

Stoopy,
You are correct, and nailed my reading of MotoMan and some "other guy".
I do like to keep to O.E.M. filters and replacement parts, so I should stick with Suzuki's engine break in directions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode