Seen it today - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 03-29-2014, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Seen it today

Well , went for a ride to the dealer i bought my wee from to book it in for its 6000klm service ,

Anyway they had a nice new white vee 2 . . I put my bike next to it and thoiught have a good look , was it ugly , no it was'nt in fact to me it looked quite good , did it look has good has my wee , i figured it looks just has good but no better .

Well i always liked the wee , but it was very uncomfortable for me , So i set about making it fit , first of all i bought the lower seat $280, then even took the rubbers of , i then it was still a bit high so i got the lowering links , it brought the knees up higher so i got the lowering pegs , can't remember excatly what i paid but about $150 delivered , plus $50 to have them fitted , bars were a bit far away making me lean too much , so i bought the rox 2 inch risers $120 delivered .

The bike now fits me like a glove and is comfortable except after approx 1.5 -2 hrs , i get a sore bum from the seat being to hard , so i bought a airhawk , $140 , now once the butt starts to ache 2 minuites and i've fitted the airhawk and that stops it .

So basicly the wee is great but it cost me approx $600 to make it fit and make it a very comfortable bike , no big deal i find i've spent on every bike making them fit .

So the vee2 , Well after hanging out to see one , i had a good look and like i said i would put it same has the wee a 8 out of 10 for looks ,

I then sat on it , and theres my suprise first thing i noticed was pulling it off the stand i was'nt tip toes like i was on the wee , i could actually reach the floor and was on the balls of my feet , , excatly the same has the wee , , second thing i noticed is the bars, were roughly the same position, has my wee bars, with the 2 inch risers , bringing my feet up, and the riding position was the same has my wee , then i noticed the seat was thicker and plusher than the hard lower seat the wee has got ,

So all in all the new vee seems to be excatly the same has my wee which i spent $600 to set up to suit me , comfortable and just right , straight out the box.

So do i want one , well thats the big question , i'm going to have a test ride next week , but somehow i doubt it , simply because , after leaving , i took a 15 klm detor through the twisty hilly roads and being in a devil of a mood , lets just say i put the wee though its paces ,

Whilst doing that , i could'nt help but think how comfortable it now was , how it handled like a sports bike , and how even if the 1000 is a lot quicker , , i would'nt have the skills to go any quicker , I doubt very much if it could do any more than reach 100 - 120 mph a few seconds quicker than the wee on a straight road , but heh so what my rocket could do it a few seconds quicker than the 1000 .

Verdict would i buy one , well the wee was $10,500 plus stand , barkbusters , top boc , bash plate , total on road ride away $12,000 , the new vee , $15500 plus the extras , probably around $17,000.

If i did'nt have the rocket and wanted one bike , and was to go out next week looking for one , i think i would spring the extra money and go for the , vee , purely because of all the long distance stuff i do , the extra cc's , would be better ,

bUT FOR ME TO DROP ABOUT 6 GRAND ON MY WEE HAS A TRADE IN AND PROBABLY HAVE TO PART WITH $10 grand to walk away with the vee ,,

Nope its not worth it , maybee when i've had the wee a while and done 50,000 klm or so , had my moneys worth out of it , then i could see myself getting one ,

If i was without the wee and looking at one i would of picked the vee over the wee simply because it fits me straight of the shelf , , but realisticly now i've got the wee to fit i just cannot warrant trading a wee with 6000klm on the clock , plus all the extras and parting with about $10,000 .

Although i seriously doubt it ,things may change ,after i ride one next week,, My problem is the missis will not allow me to have one bike she loves going on the cruiser and will not get on the back of the v strom .

My opinion , if its time to upgrade or just plain buy a bike , i would go the new vee , If money was tight , and you did'nt do a lot of miles , the savings on the wee , would be enough to sway lots of people , .

I recoin if they lowered the price a couple of grand , they would'nt be able to keep up with the demand .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 03-29-2014, 09:11 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
thanks for the write up! interesting to see that it seems to be a smaller bike!

2018 Vstrom 1000
2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Nomad
post #3 of 18 Old 03-29-2014, 10:41 AM
Oly
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenny80 View Post
I had the same reaction sitting on the new VStrom 1000. It really does feel as if the CoG is lower on the 2014 1000 than on the 2012 650.
I also had the same "want to purchase" reaction. Absolutely not a thing wrong with my 650; it's perfect. But the new 1000 is more perfect!

IBA # 54253

post #4 of 18 Old 03-29-2014, 10:47 AM
BKP
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenny80 View Post
I had the same impression last November, when I sat on a Vee2 at the Progressive Motorcycle show. It's not so much that it's a smaller bike... rather, it's *narrower*. Which makes *much* more of a difference than lowering the suspension an inch or so. I walked from the Vee2 to the 2014 Glee, and the difference was immediately apparent -- I was back on the tips of my toes.

I was all in for the Vee2 at that point (I've been wanting a Strom for a few years). However, after the stars cleared and I was back in practicality mode, it didn't make sense for me. I don't ride 2-up normally, I have *no* problem merging, passing, on-ramping, etc with the Glee, and it performs like a sport-bike in the twisties, where I don't miss the extra torque. Perhaps if Suzi released a 750-800cc Strom, with mpg > 60, narrower frame, and without sacrificing all reasons I bought the Glee, it would be definitely make me think...

[B][I]Barry[/I]
2017 Pearl White 650[/B]
AdventureTech lowering links and GPS mount
AdventureTech +2" SS braided brake line
Madstad windscreen
GPI spools, SW Motech risers
Givi XS307 Tanklock bag and Givi 46L top case
Suzuki hard case saddlebags
post #5 of 18 Old 03-29-2014, 01:15 PM
Stromthusiast!

I am kind of surprised all of you guys find the seat height to feel lower than your Wee/Glee. I sat on the new 1000 a couple weeks back and it felt very tall compared to my 06 Wee. Not sure, but isn't the seat height 33.4"? Perhaps I don't remember what it was like when I straddled a Glee, but the 1000 feels considerably taller than my 06.

06 V-Strom DL650

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #6 of 18 Old 03-29-2014, 02:54 PM
BKP
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V Strom, Jr. View Post
I am kind of surprised all of you guys find the seat height to feel lower than your Wee/Glee. I sat on the new 1000 a couple weeks back and it felt very tall compared to my 06 Wee. Not sure, but isn't the seat height 33.4"? Perhaps I don't remember what it was like when I straddled a Glee, but the 1000 feels considerably taller than my 06.
It IS taller. However, it's narrower. Your legs are going practically straight down to the ground, rather than obliquely... Simple geometry.

[B][I]Barry[/I]
2017 Pearl White 650[/B]
Madstad windscreen
post #7 of 18 Old 03-29-2014, 03:02 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKP View Post
It IS taller. However, it's narrower. Your legs are going practically straight down to the ground, rather than obliquely... Simple geometry.
I get that, but I was very much tippy-toed on it in the showroom, whereas I can almost flat-foot the 06.

06 V-Strom DL650

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #8 of 18 Old 03-29-2014, 03:06 PM
BKP
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V Strom, Jr. View Post
I get that, but I was very much tippy-toed on it in the showroom, whereas I can almost flat-foot the 06.
I don't get it... I was practically able to flat foot the Vee2. My Glee is lowered 3/4" and I'm still on the balls of my feet. Perhaps it has something to do with thigh girth or leg geometry as well...

[B][I]Barry[/I]
2017 Pearl White 650[/B]
Madstad windscreen
post #9 of 18 Old 03-29-2014, 03:06 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coneye View Post
...bUT FOR ME TO DROP ABOUT 6 GRAND ON MY WEE HAS A TRADE IN AND PROBABLY HAVE TO PART WITH $10 grand to walk away with the vee ,,

Nope its not worth it , maybee when i've had the wee a while and done 50,000 klm or so , had my moneys worth out of it , then i could see myself getting one...
It's hard to see an attractive cost-benefit analysis when trading in a Wee on any new bike. A used Wee is just about the best value of any machine known to man.
post #10 of 18 Old 03-29-2014, 03:18 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKP View Post
I don't get it... I was practically able to flat foot the Vee2. My Glee is lowered 3/4" and I'm still on the balls of my feet. Perhaps it has something to do with thigh girth or leg geometry as well...
Now, I am going to have to go back and see. Possibly the sag on my bike is set too low. Haven't sat on a new Glee in over a year, so don't remember that too well. I just had the impression I would need the low seat option if I were buying the new 1000. My inseam is 30".

06 V-Strom DL650

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode