Just sat on one... - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 03-27-2014, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Just sat on one...

...over at Oklahoma Honda-Suzuki.
Really, really nice. The beak is nowhere near as objectionable in person as it is in the photos, overall the bike looks great. It sits well, riding postion seems fine, the seat felt better than virtually any other stock seat I've been on.

They only have one, got it today. Not sold yet, but I doubt it'll last through Saturday.

Rich Desmond
'07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '99 SV650 (race bike), '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350, '08 Ducati 848
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-27-2014, 07:33 PM
$tromtrooper

I'm afraid to stop in at my local dealer.

-Tom (DL650AL2) (KA1TOX) (E-I-E-I-O)

This message and images are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. http://creativecommons.org
post #3 of 14 Old 03-27-2014, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmcgee View Post
I'm afraid to stop in at my local dealer.
I'm safe at the moment, we have 2 house payments, so I can't even afford to pay attention. Once the old house sells though, I may take the plunge.

Rich Desmond
'07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '99 SV650 (race bike), '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350, '08 Ducati 848

post #4 of 14 Old 03-27-2014, 08:06 PM
Stromthusiast!

I sat on one last week and liked it as well. While perusing articles on the web about the v-strom i clicked on "similar bikes" and the Triumph Explorer popped up. Now I know absolutely nothing about Triumph but ended up spending all afternoon reading about it. Has more power then V-Strom, cruise control, shaft drive everything I'm looking for. Price isn't much more. They have a small triumph dealer in Austin, sat on one and it was very nice. Now i'm torn, I have a deposit on the V-Strom, I know how reliable Suzukis are, owned 'em since a kid. The Triumph forums are riddled with small "glitches" like when applying the front brake the cruise doesn't shut off. I'm hoping the v-strom comes in soon...
post #5 of 14 Old 03-27-2014, 10:24 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmackd1 View Post
I sat on one last week and liked it as well. While perusing articles on the web about the v-strom i clicked on "similar bikes" and the Triumph Explorer popped up. Now I know absolutely nothing about Triumph but ended up spending all afternoon reading about it. Has more power then V-Strom, cruise control, shaft drive everything I'm looking for. Price isn't much more. They have a small triumph dealer in Austin, sat on one and it was very nice. Now i'm torn, I have a deposit on the V-Strom, I know how reliable Suzukis are, owned 'em since a kid. The Triumph forums are riddled with small "glitches" like when applying the front brake the cruise doesn't shut off. I'm hoping the v-strom comes in soon...
If you want shaft drive, why not the Super Tenere? It will be more reliable than a Triumph. You can pick-up a new 2013 for about the same as a 2014 Vstrom 1000 but it does not have cruise control. The 2014 Tenere has that feature but it is $2,300 more than the 2014 Vstrom.
post #6 of 14 Old 03-28-2014, 11:55 AM
Stromthusiast!

Triumph Explorer...

I was all set to buy the Triumph Explorer in 2012 when I went to the bike show in NYC. I was 99.99% sure this was the bike for me. I got on one, lifted it up, and it was VERY top heavy...with NO gas in the tank.
I then wondered around the bike show and saw the new 2012 650 vstrom...the bike I said I would NEVER own. I sat on it..and loved it.
I bought it when it came out in the spring. It is a wonderful bike. If the new 1000 was available then I would have purchased it.
After owning five BMW's in two years my vstrom is just fine. I went on a 9000+ mile trip to California on it last year and can say that I never needed any additional power. It just putts along, at 70, perfectly.
Sat on another Explorer again this past bike show. Nice bike...but...very top heavy. If I were to buy another bike other than the new 1000 it would be the new Tenere with electronic suspension....and cruise control.
But...I will just keep putting along on my 650.

Mr. Pete----->
aging hippie
post #7 of 14 Old 03-28-2014, 12:26 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpete64 View Post
I was all set to buy the Triumph Explorer in 2012 when I went to the bike show in NYC. I was 99.99% sure this was the bike for me. I got on one, lifted it up, and it was VERY top heavy...with NO gas in the tank.
I then wondered around the bike show and saw the new 2012 650 vstrom...the bike I said I would NEVER own. I sat on it..and loved it.
I bought it when it came out in the spring. It is a wonderful bike. If the new 1000 was available then I would have purchased it.
After owning five BMW's in two years my vstrom is just fine. I went on a 9000+ mile trip to California on it last year and can say that I never needed any additional power. It just putts along, at 70, perfectly.
Sat on another Explorer again this past bike show. Nice bike...but...very top heavy. If I were to buy another bike other than the new 1000 it would be the new Tenere with electronic suspension....and cruise control.
But...I will just keep putting along on my 650.

Thanks MrPete,

i thought the same thing. I will be patient and wait for the 1000 to arrive. I started thinking about all the problems I had with my Triumph TR6 sports car back in the 70's. I'm sure Triumph is a good brand but in my head I wouldn't trust it 2500 miles away from home as I would a Suzuki...
post #8 of 14 Old 03-28-2014, 12:47 PM
Stromthusiast!

I just bought a new 2013 S10. Right after I sat on my first 2014 vstrom. It was the hardest decision I ever made. The S10 was $1300 cheaper...but that was only part of the reason for my switch. Chain maintenance was another reason. And lastly I thought the S10 had a little more dirt oriented suspension.

Right now I am keeping the strom that has been so near and dear to my heart.

I believe next year will be the year to buy a new strom. But right now, Yamaha is cutting major deals on the 2013 S10 and dealers are holding tight on the new strom prices.

The Explorer is a road bike IMO.

2000 Red Honda XR 400r
2003 Green Honda Rincon 650 ATV

If it is not broken, it can still be fixed
post #9 of 14 Old 03-28-2014, 03:33 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmackd1 View Post
Thanks MrPete,

i thought the same thing. I will be patient and wait for the 1000 to arrive. I started thinking about all the problems I had with my Triumph TR6 sports car back in the 70's. I'm sure Triumph is a good brand but in my head I wouldn't trust it 2500 miles away from home as I would a Suzuki...
Modern Triumphs are pretty reliable. Perhaps not quite on par with Japanese, but pretty close. Their recalls are probably no higher than other brands generally.

06 V-Strom DL650

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #10 of 14 Old 03-28-2014, 06:29 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott E. Bonds View Post
I just bought a new 2013 S10. Right after I sat on my first 2014 vstrom. It was the hardest decision I ever made. The S10 was $1300 cheaper...but that was only part of the reason for my switch. Chain maintenance was another reason. And lastly I thought the S10 had a little more dirt oriented suspension.

Right now I am keeping the strom that has been so near and dear to my heart.
Just wanna say, congrats on the new ride, the S10 is a fine machine! Many happy miles to you!!

"Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even usually surpassing knowledge." - E.J. Potter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode