Cycleworld review of new Strom - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 03-27-2014, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Cycleworld review of new Strom

Looks like Cycleworld is the first magazine with review of the new Strom. Apparently they'll be compairing it to the KTM and BMW on Monday. I assume they'll be better offroad for sure as well as more powerful but still I want one. It sounds just right for what I want to do with it.
2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS- Road Test Review- Dyno- Specs- Photos

Last edited by antbrown; 03-27-2014 at 02:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-27-2014, 02:36 PM
Stromthusiast!

Nice find on the CW article. I've been waiting for a full test from a US print magazine, and CW is generally my favorite.

2006 DL650
1988 FZR400
post #3 of 14 Old 03-27-2014, 03:16 PM
Stromthusiast!

From the article:

"Engine performance is slightly marred, however, by abrupt off-idle throttle response. Rather than delivering proportionate acceleration any time the grip is twisted from closed to open, the bike lurches forward as though the throttle had been turned much farther. You can get used to this idiosyncrasy after a while, but you shouldn’t have to."

Deal breaker for me. Sad.

post #4 of 14 Old 03-27-2014, 03:46 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly2012 View Post
From the article:

"Engine performance is slightly marred, however, by abrupt off-idle throttle response. Rather than delivering proportionate acceleration any time the grip is twisted from closed to open, the bike lurches forward as though the throttle had been turned much farther. You can get used to this idiosyncrasy after a while, but you shouldn’t have to."

This is an artifact of the FI. A Throttle Tamer will fix this easily.

Current: '12 Dl650, '06 ST1300, '89 Transalp, '84 XL350R, '07 TRX350TM,
post #5 of 14 Old 03-27-2014, 03:51 PM
Stromthusiast!

The Yamaha FZ1 had the same problem, customers complained and they issued a "hotfix" for the abruptness problem. I think the customer brought the bike in and they reflashed the ECU
post #6 of 14 Old 03-27-2014, 03:52 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage

I think Suzuki was trying to make 1st generation DL1000 riders feel more at home on the new bike....."Suzuki F.I. chudder-simulation", or SFICS - since Suzuki likes those acronyms....

"Side effects may include: Mild kidney explosions...Testicular cranberrying... And Rectal hallucinations."
post #7 of 14 Old 03-27-2014, 04:42 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownOnTheFarm View Post
This is an artifact of the FI. A Throttle Tamer will fix this easily.
I suspect it's more of an artifact of what they had to do with mapping to pass emissions controls. A Power Commander could fix it as well. Another option would have been for Suzuki to revise the throttle linkage geometries themselves when they ran into issues with the lean idle requirements, and/or to program a solution into the secondaries. I expect a bit better given the price increase. If I bought one in Canada instead of the U.S. at their lower price, I'd be OK with it.
post #8 of 14 Old 03-27-2014, 06:26 PM
Stromthusiast!

How great are those horsepower and torque traces -- I'd say PERFECT for this type of bike.

2006 DL650
1988 FZR400
post #9 of 14 Old 03-27-2014, 09:49 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly2012 View Post
From the article:

I've been commuting in heavy traffic with mine, lots of on-off throttle, and this hasn't seemed too big an issue. Seems much like the same throttle snatch as on my Wee, so I must have already been used to this idiosyncrasy. Certainly haven't "lurched" into the rear of anyone yet.

I liked the review and fully agree with the comments regarding handling, stability, unusually good stock seat and very good braking.

EDIT: Finally, the number I've been waiting for!!!!: 1/4 MILE 11.60 sec. @ 112.82 mph
Yes not terribly fast by bike standards but, it'll do, it'll do....

"Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even usually surpassing knowledge." - E.J. Potter

Last edited by Stoopy; 03-27-2014 at 10:02 PM.
post #10 of 14 Old 03-27-2014, 10:50 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Looks like Cycleworld is the first magazine with review of the new Strom.
The April Dirt Bike has a test ride on it (as did the April Rider). Not much substance to it (seems the way press reviews are these days). And credibility is rendered doubtful with their apparent misconception (suggested in two places) that the V-Strom 1000 has not been available since 2008. (?!)

JET
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode