Speedometer accuracy - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 03-26-2014, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Speedometer accuracy

Anybody can say if the speedometer is accurate or a bit overspeed as it is for the old and the new 650 ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 03-26-2014, 10:00 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard101 View Post
Anybody can say if the speedometer is accurate or a bit overspeed as it is for the old and the new 650 ?
It's been on my list to confirm but without a GPS mounted yet I cannot say, but based on observation so far I suspect it is a bit overspeed.

"Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even usually surpassing knowledge." - E.J. Potter
post #3 of 25 Old 03-26-2014, 10:20 PM
Stromthusiast!

The 2012+ overstates speed by about 7.5 percent. I installed a SpeedoDRD over the winter and input a -7.5% adjustment. It now matches Garmin speed and those radar signs exactly. It will take some time to unlearn the habit of estimating an 8% adjustment in my head while riding. I can sure use the mental bandwidth!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

post #4 of 25 Old 03-26-2014, 10:44 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Using GPS my 2010 WeeStrom speedometer indicates 108kph (67mph) at a true 100kph (62mph), over stating by 8%, on stock Trailwings.

2010 Weestrom; 2017 Kawasaki Versys-X300; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100
post #5 of 25 Old 03-27-2014, 07:05 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Cycle World tested the VEE2 in this month's mag. 60mph indicated was actually 56mph.

Art in Edmonton
14 DL650
03 DL1000 SOLD
post #6 of 25 Old 03-27-2014, 07:53 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Good to know - it felt like it was reading a skosh high.

dkayak, I wonder how to tell if that gizmo would be applicable to the Vee2? Any guess what the odds might be? EDIT: probably best to ask 'em directly now that I found 'em, thanks for the lead!

"Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even usually surpassing knowledge." - E.J. Potter

Last edited by Stoopy; 03-27-2014 at 08:05 AM.
post #7 of 25 Old 03-27-2014, 08:59 AM
Stromthusiast!

There's a lot of info on these devices on the forum. Most users seem very pleased. Took me a while to cough up $70 just to fix an 8% error but now that it's done I appreciate it a lot, more so than expected. Very easy to install and program too. GW provided excellent guidance on finding and opening the wiring connector. Vee2 may use a different one. The mfr can tell you.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #8 of 25 Old 03-27-2014, 11:17 AM
Stromthusiast!

It seems to me that most, if not all bikes have the speedo error built in. And, tho I have queried this extensively I have never stumbled on the real reason why. Government conspiracy? Subtle way of keeping our speed down? Who knows. But it is so common that it has to be built in deliberately.
All to our ongoing annoyance.
post #9 of 25 Old 03-27-2014, 01:57 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToadRide View Post
It seems to me that most, if not all bikes have the speedo error built in. And, tho I have queried this extensively I have never stumbled on the real reason why. Government conspiracy? Subtle way of keeping our speed down? Who knows. But it is so common that it has to be built in deliberately.
In many countries they can't sell you a motor / bike with an under-reading speedo, so it's easier to sell one which does over-read. I guess it's so that if you keep below the posted speed limit as indicated on your speedo, then you can't be breaking the limit.
post #10 of 25 Old 11-09-2014, 04:23 PM
Stromthusiast!

I know most speedometers on bikes are overly optimistic. I have yet to calibrate with my gps, I find myself all too often flying along at 140-150kph according to my speedo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode