DL1000A MPG Thread - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 231 Old 03-20-2014, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
DL1000A MPG Thread

It was time for the first fill-up on the way home today so I figured why not start a mileage thread. I also started a Fuelly entry for my bike here:

The Crimson Pigeon (Suzuki VStrom DL1000) | Fuelly

When I shut down in front of the pump the onboard computer had a figure of 38.4 MPG, and I got 178.8 miles out of the tank with 1 bar left. I put in 4.466 gallons of 93-octane (yes there is a sticker to use Premium, minimum 90 octane) which worked out to....(drum roll)... exactly 40 MPG from the first tank.

On startup the onboard computer reset the average MPG when it sensed I had added gas, an interesting feature. It now estimates I will get 224 miles out of this full tank, we'll see how that goes.

Oh, and after riding the rest of the way home, the average MPG says 44.3 MPG, which is a lot better than the 18 MPG average it showed when I picked the bike up new with 0.2 miles on it.

And so it begins... I guess my Wee ownership is showing, eh? :mrgreen:

"Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even usually surpassing knowledge." - E.J. Potter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 231 Old 03-20-2014, 07:47 PM
Stromthusiast!

Well, so much for the claims in some threads it was going to get Wee-like mileage. But, maybe it will get better with miles.

06 V-Strom DL650

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #3 of 231 Old 03-20-2014, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V Strom, Jr. View Post
Well, so much for the claims in some threads it was going to get Wee-like mileage. But, maybe it will get better with miles.
First fill-up always seems to be brutal. My Wee got 43.4 MPG on the very first tank - same time of year, same everything except refilled it with Regular. Matter of fact it's there in the logbook on fuelly.com:
Wee-Strom (Suzuki VStrom DL650) | Fuelly

I have no doubt this bike will get much better as well.

"Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even usually surpassing knowledge." - E.J. Potter

Last edited by Stoopy; 03-20-2014 at 07:59 PM.

post #4 of 231 Old 03-20-2014, 08:17 PM
Stromthusiast!

Without knowing what kind of miles were ridden it's kinda useless at this time. I do allot of country riding on my 2005 1000 and I routinely get above 48mpg. If I ride around town with most of a tank it drops down into the mid 30's mpg.
post #5 of 231 Old 03-20-2014, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudbutt View Post
Without knowing what kind of miles were ridden it's kinda useless at this time. I do allot of country riding on my 2005 1000 and I routinely get above 48mpg. If I ride around town with most of a tank it drops down into the mid 30's mpg.
You're right. It was a complete mix of everything though - nice pleasant cruising on back country roads, some aggressive twisties, a fire road, a run on the highway and then the freeway, and a commute to work and back in heavy traffic with lots of stop & go and some city streets.

Pretty much the same stuff I do on the Wee, and t has averaged 51.1 MPG, which is right at what Suzuki says it should get, so maybe it's a pretty good representative mix of riding?

post #6 of 231 Old 03-21-2014, 12:16 AM
Stromthusiast!

MPG

I took the long way home today when I picked up Woody. 51 miles and computer said my mpg was 42.8. Not bad as I tried hard to kept her under the 4K rpm as the manual suggests. Supposed to be warm Saturday so hope to put another 200 miles on her.

Later

FastLane
post #7 of 231 Old 03-21-2014, 07:13 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V Strom, Jr. View Post
The Suzuki website for the new DL1000 quotes 59mpg IITC with the the Glee at 71mpg. The Glee figure isn't anywhere near what I see, so suspect the 1 litre bikes figures are not likely to hit the 59mpg, unless you fill up at the top of a hill and drive gently down it.
post #8 of 231 Old 03-21-2014, 08:35 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoopy View Post
On startup the onboard computer reset the average MPG when it sensed I had added gas, an interesting feature. It now estimates I will get 224 miles out of this full tank, we'll see how that goes.
Can you see the calculated range and trip miles at the same time?

Also, is the range to tank empty, ie it counts down and at 0 miles = start pushing the bike?

TVMIA
post #9 of 231 Old 03-21-2014, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oop North John View Post
Can you see the calculated range and trip miles at the same time?
Yes - the calculated range to empty, as well as other stuff having to do with MPG and voltmeter, is shown in the bottom of the display (below the TC setting), and the regular odometer and trip odometers are at the top of the display (above the TC setting), so if you cycle through to each you can arrange for both calculated range and trip odometer to be displayed at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oop North John View Post
Also, is the range to tank empty, ie it counts down and at 0 miles = start pushing the bike?

TVMIA
Yes - that is exactly what the manual says, "do not wait for the display to read zero before refueling". Hopefully there won't be any opportunity to find out how accurate it is!

post #10 of 231 Old 03-21-2014, 12:18 PM
Stromthusiast!

Does the last bar start blinking on the fuel gauge like the previous V-Stroms?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode