StromTrooper banner

DL1000A MPG Thread

53K views 230 replies 93 participants last post by  Vdubfreak67 
#1 ·
It was time for the first fill-up on the way home today so I figured why not start a mileage thread. I also started a Fuelly entry for my bike here:

The Crimson Pigeon (Suzuki VStrom DL1000) | Fuelly

When I shut down in front of the pump the onboard computer had a figure of 38.4 MPG, and I got 178.8 miles out of the tank with 1 bar left. I put in 4.466 gallons of 93-octane (yes there is a sticker to use Premium, minimum 90 octane) which worked out to....(drum roll)... exactly 40 MPG from the first tank.

On startup the onboard computer reset the average MPG when it sensed I had added gas, an interesting feature. It now estimates I will get 224 miles out of this full tank, we'll see how that goes.

Oh, and after riding the rest of the way home, the average MPG says 44.3 MPG, which is a lot better than the 18 MPG average it showed when I picked the bike up new with 0.2 miles on it.

And so it begins... I guess my Wee ownership is showing, eh? :mrgreen:

#3 · (Edited)
First fill-up always seems to be brutal. My Wee got 43.4 MPG on the very first tank - same time of year, same everything except refilled it with Regular. Matter of fact it's there in the logbook on fuelly.com:
Wee-Strom (Suzuki VStrom DL650) | Fuelly

I have no doubt this bike will get much better as well. :yesnod:

#5 ·
You're right. It was a complete mix of everything though - nice pleasant cruising on back country roads, some aggressive twisties, a fire road, a run on the highway and then the freeway, and a commute to work and back in heavy traffic with lots of stop & go and some city streets.

Pretty much the same stuff I do on the Wee, and t has averaged 51.1 MPG, which is right at what Suzuki says it should get, so maybe it's a pretty good representative mix of riding?

#6 ·
MPG

I took the long way home today when I picked up Woody. 51 miles and computer said my mpg was 42.8. Not bad as I tried hard to kept her under the 4K rpm as the manual suggests. Supposed to be warm Saturday so hope to put another 200 miles on her.

Later

FastLane

#8 ·
On startup the onboard computer reset the average MPG when it sensed I had added gas, an interesting feature. It now estimates I will get 224 miles out of this full tank, we'll see how that goes.
Can you see the calculated range and trip miles at the same time?

Also, is the range to tank empty, ie it counts down and at 0 miles = start pushing the bike?

TVMIA

#9 ·
Can you see the calculated range and trip miles at the same time?
Yes - the calculated range to empty, as well as other stuff having to do with MPG and voltmeter, is shown in the bottom of the display (below the TC setting), and the regular odometer and trip odometers are at the top of the display (above the TC setting), so if you cycle through to each you can arrange for both calculated range and trip odometer to be displayed at the same time.

Also, is the range to tank empty, ie it counts down and at 0 miles = start pushing the bike?

TVMIA
Yes - that is exactly what the manual says, "do not wait for the display to read zero before refueling". Hopefully there won't be any opportunity to find out how accurate it is!

#13 ·
From what I recall in reading the manual, yes - but I did not wait that long, I got down to one bar and filled up sicne it was the end of my day and I was close by my preferred gas station. There was a little tiny flashing fuel pump icon just to the left of the bar though. But I'm pretty sure the bar goes "hollow" as you get closer to empty and then starts blinking too.

#14 ·
Vee2 m.p.g.

Just an observation. I have been getting on average 45 m.p.g. from my Vee2 with just over 1600 miles on it. I DO NOT baby the throttle, as I enjoy the H.P.

If the m.p.g. stays at about 45 given my style of riding, I will be happy.
:thumbup:

#19 ·
With 3500Km on the odometer of my Vee2... on my last tank I got 364 Km with 17,2 Litres... Just highway at or under 4 000 rpm...
I'm very happy with those numbers 4,72 Litres/100 Km.
I'm also happy to realize that the tank can give me the possibility for a distance of 400 Km.
I also enjoy the «Range» gauge. I find this gauge accurate and comforting.

#17 ·
My 2006 VSTROM DL 1000 I sold today was getting 50 to 55 mpg It had the Two Brothers Exhaust, K&N Air & Oil filters,Royal Purple Max Cycle Full Synthetic oil ,The engine mpg improved after changing the Oil.I noticed lower engine oil temp and Improved MPG same with my stock 2012 DL 650abs Adventure all it has is the K&N AIR & OIL FILTERS and I get 67+ mpg up from 55 to 58 mpg with the standard air oil and filters and oil .The 650 is for sale also .Want to buy new 2014 DL 1000.

#18 ·
My last two tanks have been 21.1km/L which is 59 miles per Imperial Gallon. That is 47.2 miles per US Gallon. I use Chevron Supreme Plus 94 octane, no ethanol.

#20 ·
My V2 travelled 419ks on my first tank and then it took 20.05l:yikes:. I must have been very close to running out.

I rode 10kms after the last segment on the gauge started flashing and less than 1km after the Range dropped to "--- km".

The consumption works out at 21km/l (49.4mpg US). That's only 1.5km/l (3.53mpg US) worse than my 2005 Wee was getting.

#21 ·
So far I have completed 9,500 km (5,900 miles) of fairly fast touring in mainly flat country with a moving average of 91 kph (57 mph) and the display shows an average of 17.1 km/litre (5.85 l/100km, 48.31 mpg UK, 40.23 US) which is appalling compared with my wee which now has 153,000 km on the clock and uses a maximum of 5 l/100km of cheaper fuel under the same conditions. I'm not impressed. I thought that with the bigger, lazier engine running at much lower revs my new bike would be just as frugal and perhaps better.

Both bikes have big screens, 51 litre top boxes and panniers, without which they would no doubt be slightly better as the wind resistance must have an impact.

To be frank I see no advantage of my new 1000 over my old 650 for touring. It seems to be no better in the comfort stakes but is more expensive to run; though it will be better for fast day runs in the twisties with its extra power and torque.

#23 ·
I did a quick 235km loop yesterday and again came out at around 18km/l on a mixture of roads with an overall average speed of about 98km/h. No bags.

Not related to fuel, but I found the aerodynamics interesting when going through some showers. Apart from rain on my visor, water seemed to be deflected completely. Not a drop on my gloves and although I don't know about my boots, my jeans stayed bone dry.

#24 ·
I certainly agree with you about the rain deflection. When I rode the new machine home from the dealer the rain was very heavy. Only my boots were wet. The Suzuki handguards really did a good job. This bike design has been refined in a wind tunnel.

#27 ·
Hi, I'm currently comparing bikes for my next purchase, and test rode the new DL1000, I was considering it until i looked at the fuel mileage you guys are getting, seems the Kawasaki Versys1000 with its 4 cylinder lunatic engine gets same if not better fuel consumption figures, and a test ride shows it has power all the way through the revs...
Any results better than 45mpg?
Cheers
Brett2

#29 ·
It all comes down to how you ride the V2.

Yesterday, into a fierce wind, 2-up @ 80 mph netted 42 mpg US. A wind-free day without pillion @ 70 mph usually nets 50-53 mpg US. No side bags.

I find it's easy to crater the fuel mileage any time I don't restrain myself. But it's a ton of fun for very few $$.

#30 ·
...A wind-free day without pillion @ 70 mph usually nets 50-53 mpg US. No side bags...
Wow, that's within striking distance of the 53.7 MPG (65 fuel-ups) I've gotten with my Wee (per bike's gages), plus I spend little time at 70 MPH, suggesting the Vee2 mileage might possibly exceed that of the first gen Wees. Nice to know. Hope it holds up - or improves over time.

#31 ·
It appears that the engine is loosening up and burning a little less. Last tank showed between 19.1 and 19.5 km/l on the average gauge. A refill as close as I could get to the same level as before, produced a figure of 18.8 km/l and 53 MPG (UK). That gives a total range of approx 375kms to empty.

So all in all, the gauges aren't that far out and I think the economy may improve a bit more.

#34 ·
Yep, I've driven locomotives (for fun only) where the consumption is measured in litres per kilometre.

Beats me why people drive those big tonka toys when most times it's one guy in the front and a carton of beer in the back. I guess it's so they can haul the trailer home out when their child maintenance payments catch up with them.

Average is up to over 20 km/ltr on the latest tankful.

#36 ·
We converted decades ago but where fuel is concerned, I have never gotten my head around kms per ltr. Still miles per gallon for me but I concern myself more with how far I can go on a tank. 350 to 400 kms per is plenty good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.