Ratcheting Windshield question / comparison - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 03-20-2014, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Ratcheting Windshield question / comparison

OK I have a question for you others who have started to take delivery of your VeeII's:

Does your windshield truly "ratchet" through all three angle positions such that if you push it ALL the way forward and release, it will come back to a different position each time, cycling through the three different angles?

-- OR --

Each time you push it all the way forward, does it simply come back all the way to the most slanted-back position, and if you want it to be at one of the other two more-upright angles, you have to carefully push it forward just enough to meet that angle, and release it so it stays there?

Reason I ask, is that at the IMS show when I played with the screen, it would "ratchet" through the 3 different positions as described in the first paragraph above. And, I believe I saw it act that way in the various videos we've all watched, and the descriptions all state it "ratchets" which by definition is stepping through the different positions each time it is fully extended.

But my windshield acts like I described in the second paragraph...which isn't what I recall from seeing the bike in person nor is really a ratcheting action.

It's not a big deal but still, I'm wondering if I have a warranty issue. or there was a last-minute design change, or maybe my memory (and mind in general) has become unstable and unreliable...

Thanks in advance for your feedback & comparison...

"Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even usually surpassing knowledge." - E.J. Potter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-20-2014, 04:03 PM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
It's the second according to the videos I've seen. You release it then move it to the position you want. It's direct, not sequential. You should feel/hear the positions though.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informa...-you-have.html
post #3 of 11 Old 03-20-2014, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Thanks Greywolf. I'm going to convince myself that is correct, the issue is my mind keeps telling me that the one I played with at the IMS worked as described in the first paragraph. I could swear I recall sitting on the bike and playing with it and playign with it. But my mind plays... tricks... lately. :mrgreen:

Really a moot point as it works just fine in one position but, y'know...you pay for something and want to make sure it's right.

"Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even usually surpassing knowledge." - E.J. Potter

post #4 of 11 Old 03-20-2014, 11:35 PM
Stromthusiast!

If it was me, i would drive it back to the dealer and have a look at some other bikes to see how they are working. It may be possible to put the windshield ratchet in backwards or something goofy.

If they are all the same, go home convinced.
post #5 of 11 Old 03-20-2014, 11:48 PM
Stromthusiast!

I stopped at Grants Pass Suzuki this afternoon and checked out that exact feature, it's like the second paragraph, not sequential 1,2,3. Very, very nice bike, congratulations, I'm trying very hard not to want one so bad I can't stand it. (It's barely working) I have to put more miles on the one I have though, I just now have it all geared up like I want, and they have to go and redesign the big Vee.
post #6 of 11 Old 03-21-2014, 12:04 AM
Stromthusiast!

It's the Second!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoopy View Post
OK I have a question for you others who have started to take delivery of your VeeII's:

Does your windshield truly "ratchet" through all three angle positions such that if you push it ALL the way forward and release, it will come back to a different position each time, cycling through the three different angles?

-- OR --

Each time you push it all the way forward, does it simply come back all the way to the most slanted-back position, and if you want it to be at one of the other two more-upright angles, you have to carefully push it forward just enough to meet that angle, and release it so it stays there?

Reason I ask, is that at the IMS show when I played with the screen, it would "ratchet" through the 3 different positions as described in the first paragraph above. And, I believe I saw it act that way in the various videos we've all watched, and the descriptions all state it "ratchets" which by definition is stepping through the different positions each time it is fully extended.

But my windshield acts like I described in the second paragraph...which isn't what I recall from seeing the bike in person nor is really a ratcheting action.

It's not a big deal but still, I'm wondering if I have a warranty issue. or there was a last-minute design change, or maybe my memory (and mind in general) has become unstable and unreliable...

Thanks in advance for your feedback & comparison...
Hey Stoopy, I picked mine up today and it is the same. Only two positions. I believe the model at the DC show had three distinct positions too. Maybe our memory is fading but like you said it's not a big deal but they were definitely advertised as three positions.

Later

FastLane
post #7 of 11 Old 03-21-2014, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastLane View Post
Hey Stoopy, I picked mine up today and it is the same. Only two positions. I believe the model at the DC show had three distinct positions too. Maybe our memory is fading but like you said it's not a big deal but they were definitely advertised as three positions.

Later

FastLane
Thanks very much for the confirmation, FastLane. The ironic thing is I'm not finding any reason to adjust the windshield anyway...but good to know.

post #8 of 11 Old 03-22-2014, 07:28 AM
Stromthusiast!

Sat on the first example I have seen in Australia today. Played with the screen. Fully back - position 1 - push forward ( very small click) - position 2 - push forward again - position 3.ush forward again it returns to position 1.
Off Topic I know but Im not going to start a thread on my personal overveiw of the DL 1000... But I know my bikes
This bike has all the mechanical and electronic improvements I am seeking but I came away a bit disappointed. It isn't bad, in fact it is OK for the money. It has problems in design. If you are going to run additional electrics there is no room under the seat for anything to be fitted ( EB PC-8)or a small air pump, wet weather gear. There is a section right at the tail but it is very small and hard to access. The front guard is so close to the standard tire it will be a problem in wet clay and will jam up the wheel. Plastics are not of high standard with one of the hand guards having been mechanically trimmed to remove a die bur. Handle bars are not quality and look like they have been sprayed with a rattle can. Risers cannot be fitted and need to be for stand up riding, as there is no freeplay I can see in the cables. I could not believe it comes with a 525 drive chain, which will last till the first major service. If BMW & Triumph 650,s carry a 530 then Suzuki needs to listen. It needs a rear hugger urgently to keep the rear shock and rear of the engine clean.
Positives... The welds are good and paint is as well on the little bit there is. The dash is a canvas to attach all manner of things, it probably is the best and clearest of all similar bikes. The Suzuki center stand is of very high quality and the hand guards are deep enough for an omni lock. Seat is better than any other Ive tried with grippy sides. Ankle plates to protect the frame from boot scrubbing a good add but not up with KTM or BMW. The 10 spoke alloy wheels will deal with a great deal of hammering. The clutch lever is Wee light to pull. The brake package is top shelf components as is the front forks.
I await a real ride to see if it is a sum of parts that works, and the rest I dont like can be modified( hopefully) as the farkles come through.

Last edited by Thunderdownunder; 03-22-2014 at 07:32 AM.
post #9 of 11 Old 03-22-2014, 10:32 PM
Stromthusiast!

I checked 2 bikes today and they both had 3 positions for the ratcheting wind screen.

All the way back (toward gauges) is position 1, you push forward 1 click for position 2 then you push forward the second time for position 3. If you push forward again it resets to position 1.

2012 DL650AEXPL2 - *Black*
post #10 of 11 Old 03-24-2014, 07:52 AM
Banned

Inner workings

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode