Aftermarket Shock Fit? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 03-01-2014, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Aftermarket Shock Fit?

Now that the bikes are hitting the dealerships in some areas, I'm wondering if anyone has taken a close look to see if the rear shock length, spring length, and shock travel dimensions are close to the previous generation. Suspension travel is still 6.3 inches front and rear. It would be nice if my $1300 aftermarket rear shock would swap over to the new model or could get a simple mod to fit.

I think I remember reading swingarm length is a couple inches longer now. If shock travel has decreased to compensate, I still might be able to get my aftermarket shock re-valved for proper damping. Too bad Suzuki does not publish spring rate data. I would think if spring length and shock travel are about the same, then spring rate should work the same way too.

Has anyone put a tape measure to the rear shock yet?
Overall length?
Spring length?
Shock travel will be a lot tougher to estimate.
I'm hoping the shock linkage dimensions looks the same as the old model.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-02-2014, 12:36 AM
Stromthusiast!

There is almost no change in the newer shocks compared to the old ones,slight decrease in oil volume and the spring has been relocated on the shock body by about 2mm .. Should be a simple switch over to the new bike ..

Sometimes making a wrong turn just makes the ride that much better ,,, go an extra mile it`s not so crowded there!
post #3 of 9 Old 03-02-2014, 12:47 AM
$tromtrooper

The crucial thing is the linkage ratio, if that's the same (or very close) and the mounting is the same then it will work.

Rich Desmond
'07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '99 SV650 (race bike), '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350, '08 Ducati 848

post #4 of 9 Old 03-02-2014, 11:29 AM
Stromthusiast!

a $1300 aftermarket shock should be length adjustable

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

RandyO
IBA# 9560
07 Strom 1k (8x,xxx miles)
99 SV650 (135,006 miles)
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
www.gbhsurvey.com
post #5 of 9 Old 03-02-2014, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyo View Post
a $1300 aftermarket shock should be length adjustable
Should be, but not available from Ohlins.
I have the Ohlins 46PRCS Shock Absorber SU 201, "Features adjustable rebound and compression damping, and hose-mounted hydraulic spring preload adjuster."

Alpster87, I don't know where you have gotten the information from, but you have encouraged me.
post #6 of 9 Old 03-02-2014, 07:42 PM
Stromthusiast!

Does the stock shock suck that bad and anticipated to suck as much on the Vee2? I know my 07 Bandit shock was not good but Holeshot/Cogent cured that for $600.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

2014 VStrom ADV 1000 - The VBeak!
See my life on the new VStrom at VBeak.Blogspot.com
post #7 of 9 Old 03-02-2014, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilS14 View Post
Does the stock shock suck that bad and anticipated to suck as much on the Vee2? I know my 07 Bandit shock was not good but Holeshot/Cogent cured that for $600.

One question is not how bad the stock shock sucks, it's whether the rates are designed for a little Japanese man or a big (fat) American like me who weighs a hundred pounds more.

The reviews say the shock has no adjustment for compression damping. My prediction is the stock shock will be better than that of the previous generation, which was particularly bad. The aftermarket shock was a critical need on the previous generation.

Many current Wee owners like me can benefit from more hp and abs of the new 1000 model. They often say, "You can't take it with you," but in this case if Alpster87 is right, we can take our old aftermarket shock with us!
post #8 of 9 Old 03-02-2014, 11:05 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilS14 View Post

Based on past history of stock suspension (not just Suzuki's) theres no reason to think its not going to suck. At the minimum its not likely to be set up correctly for any rider other than the theoretical average they spec it for.
No matter what its a sure thing its not a match for customized Ohlins.

Joe S.
'14 HD FLHR
'12 Concours
'11 DL650
'01 HD FXD
'09 HD XR1200
'79 BMW R100
post #9 of 9 Old 04-26-2014, 01:02 AM
Stromthusiast!

As a bit of water has passed under the bridge since the last post on this topic can anyone now confirm that aftermarket shocks suitable for the older gen Vee will fit the Vee 2?

Thanks,

Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode