Standard or Adventure model - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 02-21-2014, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Standard or Adventure model

I initially felt I would purchase the standard Vee2 and farkle the bike myself. Now I am wondering if I should purchase the adventure model, as the accessories for the Vee2 are very expensive if purchased separately. The engine guards go for $400, lower cowling $234, hand guards $85, and who knows how expensive the side cases will be. If purchased separately, these farkles are significantly more expensive. What say you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-21-2014, 11:35 AM
Stromthusiast!

I'd be inclined to buy the ADV model, then if you don't like the OEM bags, remove them and sell them on e-bay and purchase the bags that you do want.

Even better, wait and buy and ADV model on clearance or lightly used. The thing about ADV bikes is that some people buy them, but then can't get used to the seat height, drop them once in a parking lot and then sell them on Craig's list with low mileage. At least, that's how I got my wee.

2013 Tiger Explorer 1200
2009 DL650 ABS
2004 Honda ST1300
post #3 of 12 Old 02-21-2014, 12:13 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
The engine guards go for $400, lower cowling $234, hand guards $85,
Using the 650 as a price reference, Twisted Throttle has SW-Motech engine guards for $207. Hand guards (knuckle covers) @ $85 isn't bad. Shop around and you might find parts that better suit your needs for less money.

"Older people who are reasonable, good-tempered, and gracious will bear aging well. Those who are mean-spirited and irritable will be unhappy at every period of their lives.

"Let each of use properly whatever strengths he has and strive to use them well. If he does this, he will never find himself lacking."

Marcus Tullius Cicero
44 B.C.

post #4 of 12 Old 02-21-2014, 12:41 PM
Stromthusiast!

I like the Factory Adventure Bags. I haven't had "Hard Bags" since my 2003 Gold Wing. I've been using soft bags on my DL650, when I take a trip. These will be better than those & easily detachable, since I usually ride with just a luggage rack tail bag around town & on short trips. Those Adventure Bags and larger "touring" windshield are probably worth the difference in price, by themselves. I look at the other items as "a Bonus"!!

2014 Black DL1000ABS - Adventure. Sold 2012 Fox Orange V-Strom DL650. Sold 2004 Black Suzuki V-Strom DL650. Since 2004 Owned Nothing But V-Stroms - DL or No Deal !!

www.wingsinthewind.net
post #5 of 12 Old 02-21-2014, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirosyd View Post
I initially felt I would purchase the standard Vee2 and farkle the bike myself. Now I am wondering if I should purchase the adventure model, as the accessories for the Vee2 are very expensive if purchased separately. The engine guards go for $400, lower cowling $234, hand guards $85, and who knows how expensive the side cases will be. If purchased separately, these farkles are significantly more expensive. What say you?
Those sound like factory prices, there are much better options with aftermarket units and much better prices as well. And Twistedthrottle will for sure cause you to want to spend money.......for sure.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #6 of 12 Old 02-21-2014, 01:13 PM
Stromthusiast!

i priced out all the adv bags and such from the competitions before buying my adv model. i saved $1400 off the cheapes farkles i found, as similar to the adv equipment aws i could get. and the bonus was that i did not have to order, wait, and install....just wrote a check and rode home---and ordering a corbin within an hour of getting home. the adv windscreen fits me with no issues. i did add a $65 top box vs the $450 trax top box.

2012 DL650
U.S. NAVY, RETIRED
post #7 of 12 Old 10-11-2014, 06:00 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

i started pricing the extras out in the show room because i would have to wait on an adventure, i priced the engine guard at over 400 and decided to get the adventure, then they dropped my brand new bike, and thats when i found the bags were 1600 and on back oreder from suzuki for new ones, hand guards and engine guards got replaced as well, the adventure model is cheaper than adding your own
post #8 of 12 Old 10-12-2014, 12:17 AM
Stromthusiast!

I just bought the Adventure model. DONE!
Or so I thought I wa$!
Dang farkles!!

Current Bikes:

2014 Suzuki V Strom 1000 Adventure
2014 Honda CRF250L
2014 Honda Grom
2012 Suzuki V Strom 650 Adventure
2008 Kawasaki KLR650
post #9 of 12 Old 10-12-2014, 12:55 AM
Stromthusiast!

The Adventure model looks good. The bags aren't the most functional, but look good. The engine pebble guard looks good. I bought the Adv model, and I'm Ok I with my decision.

"Older people who are reasonable, good-tempered, and gracious will bear aging well. Those who are mean-spirited and irritable will be unhappy at every period of their lives.

"Let each of use properly whatever strengths he has and strive to use them well. If he does this, he will never find himself lacking."

Marcus Tullius Cicero
44 B.C.
post #10 of 12 Old 10-12-2014, 09:48 AM
Stromthusiast!

Me I don't like to pay for something I don't want... I bought from my dealer the tank bag, the centre stand, the hand guard and the crash bar at discounted price ... when I need luggage I have a nice BMW bag that I can attached to the rear rack.

I feel it cost me less this way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode