2014 Clutch Basket - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old 02-12-2014, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

2014 Clutch Basket

Since the 2014 models are being produced ( if not in customers hands just yet ) and it is advertised as having an all new clutch I think we are possibly seeing the new basket as a standard replacement part in all 1000 V Stroms. Most of the new clutch components are obviously completely new, but the clutch basket looks like the old one, even has the same numbers on it. I think this video might have some insight to the new clutch basket?

WERKS 2014 model inspection - YouTube

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]

Last edited by realshelby; 02-12-2014 at 08:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 02-12-2014, 09:48 PM
$tromtrooper

Thanks for making the video! It certainly looks like Suzuki is aware of the issue but has left some market share for you. I'm surprised to see how much slop is still there. Why would they leave any???

DL1000K6 Two wheels good; four wheels bad.
DRZ400SK17
post #3 of 29 Old 02-14-2014, 03:00 PM
Stromthusiast!

I spoke with my dealer; 2 different part numbers. The previous basket is a 21200-06811 cost $340CDN. The 2014 basket is 21200-31Y10 cost $440CDN.

I should go to the dealer and look at the images.

post #4 of 29 Old 02-14-2014, 10:17 PM
Stromthusiast!

Really stupid question: why would one measure the window openings with a telescoping gage instead of just using the ears on the caliper to measure them directly?
post #5 of 29 Old 02-14-2014, 11:15 PM
Stromthusiast!

Maybe he likes an excuse to use more of his fancy specialty tools? I know I am always looking for a reason to use some of mine!

Yeeeehaaaaaw!
post #6 of 29 Old 02-15-2014, 12:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixsteve View Post
Really stupid question: why would one measure the window openings with a telescoping gage instead of just using the ears on the caliper to measure them directly?
That would have worked fine! But, I am used to using the telescopic gauges all day long on the bearings. The real reason is the the telescopic is easier to get a true reading as the "old" basket has deformed areas from the springs being embedded into it. The gauges allow you to measure a clean, unblemished area.

The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
post #7 of 29 Old 02-15-2014, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellcat View Post
I spoke with my dealer; 2 different part numbers. The previous basket is a 21200-06811 cost $340CDN. The 2014 basket is 21200-31Y10 cost $440CDN.

I should go to the dealer and look at the images.
I ran the part number and it came up on an exploded view with part numbers. Not yet available. VERY interesting that is has this different part number! The one seen in the prototype bike certainly appear the same and have some of the same casting numbers. BUT....if they put different springs or any other small change they might have made will force a different part number. We'll just have to wait and see what the difference is. Not sure how there could be that much difference in cost? Thanks for posting that info!

post #8 of 29 Old 02-15-2014, 07:31 AM
Stromthusiast!

It makes no sense...

It makes NO sense to me that Suzuki would not fix their clutch basket issue(s). With the first batch, back in 02 causing problems, they could not afford to make the same error. With the internet and all the blogs it would be..."the kiss of death."

Mr. Pete----->
aging hippie
post #9 of 29 Old 02-15-2014, 01:35 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpete64 View Post
It makes NO sense to me that Suzuki would not fix their clutch basket issue(s). With the first batch, back in 02 causing problems, they could not afford to make the same error. With the internet and all the blogs it would be..."the kiss of death."
They may have made some changes in quality after the part number changed between the 2005 and 2006 model years, even though the part number hasn't changed again until the new 2014 engine. Slipping in minor quality improvements while keeping the same part number, if that's what actually happened, may have merely been a way to field test an improved basket casting for the 2014 release during the 2012 model year while at the same time improving the future stock of replacement clutch baskets for those of us with 2002 - 2011 machines. It also avoided the hassle and expense of issuing updated parts fiche.

The only way that we'll know for sure is if someone obtains virgin clutch basket assemblies from representative model years, opens them up and goes through them with the eye of a forensic engineer... or if someone at Suzuki releases the ECN (engineering change notification) history of the part. Neither is likely to happen.

"Making bad choices since 1948...."[LEFT][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/LEFT]

Last edited by Leroy; 02-15-2014 at 05:53 PM.
post #10 of 29 Old 02-15-2014, 06:23 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by realshelby View Post
I ran the part number and it came up on an exploded view with part numbers. Not yet available. VERY interesting that is has this different part number! The one seen in the prototype bike certainly appear the same and have some of the same casting numbers. BUT....if they put different springs or any other small change they might have made will force a different part number. We'll just have to wait and see what the difference is. Not sure how there could be that much difference in cost? Thanks for posting that info!
Anytime!!!..I agree there is more to the issue - Suzuki claims there is increased inertia in the new engine,...would make sense they want to "tune-out" the resonance which is the contributor to the shudder. The springs and their clearance may well be part of the solution. The videos of the new bike/engine have Suzuki exclaiming several times they addressed vibration.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode