Dealer prep and Freight - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 02-04-2014, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Dealer prep and Freight

I can go to almost any store on the web these days and if I order a minimum amount, I can have free shipping anywhere in the US. Like a set of tires. Free Shipping. A GoPro camera.. free.. a motorcycle battery.. also free.. Virtually any motorcycle part can be bought with free shipping, provided the amount is sufficient.

So why does it suddenly cost $800 when you order a $12k complete motorcycle? Shouldn't that be free as well?

I order stuff from Hong Kong all the time because it costs 1/10th the amount, and it also ships free directly to my house. So what if I have to wait 3 weeks to get it. If it doesn't show up, I get my money back.

Why can't I order a motorcycle from Suzuki corporate, and have it shipped to my house for free?

I understand the dealer prep thing. That makes a bit of sense to me in some ways, but someone like myself, who can do basic wrenching, knows that blue Loctite is, and has a set of sockets handy, would be able to do the Dealer prep part easy enough. It would even be FUN IMO. Imagine a crate arrives at your house one day.. OMG.. what a blast..

Why not...

I think everyone just gets used to paying this extra fee, and they don't think to argue about it anymore.

Curious.. for those who have ordered a new V2.. what did the dealer tell you were the "extra" fees? Dealer Prep, Freight, Documentation Fee, Tire recycle fees?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 02-04-2014, 11:14 PM
Stromthusiast!

Buy a Chinese bike and you'll get your wish. I don't know if this is with cars or bikes but I thought I had heard that the manufacturer would reimburse the dealership for the set up fee.
post #3 of 18 Old 02-05-2014, 06:41 AM
Stromthusiast!

Sport Cycle in Rockingham NC waive freight and set up. Call Keith, not sure what issues you would face taking it back into Canada though.

"Dave"

If You're Gonna Be Stupid, You Better Be Hard, because stupid hurts!
I no longer own a V Strom, but I'm still here because its the best bike forum going!

post #4 of 18 Old 02-05-2014, 09:48 AM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Don't worry about freight, prep, and other fees. ALL that matters is the amount you write the check for.

As for dealer prep, that is a laughing matter at best. My 650 had 22 lbs of air in the front tire when they said it was ready to go. I looked the bike over for loose stuff before I left and then checked it out at home.

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
post #5 of 18 Old 02-05-2014, 10:23 AM
Stromthusiast!

Suzuki relies on their dealer network to make sure its done right. It it always done right? No.

All of that should be a negotiable item when purchasing the the bike. I just bought a 2013 650 Adventure, still in the crate. My dealer charged $150 setup and no freight.

Last edited by TTaM; 02-05-2014 at 10:47 AM.
post #6 of 18 Old 02-05-2014, 10:45 AM
Stromthusiast!

The dealer gets reimbursed from the manufacturer for setup fees. Most will show this on the invoice, but will back it out of the final cost. Like I said, "most" dealers.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

Boycott SV Racing
post #7 of 18 Old 02-05-2014, 11:21 AM
Stromthusiast!

I picked up a full-line Suzuki color brochure at the bike show, and have since recycled it. That brochure heavily features the new vee2 plus accessories. I distinctly remember footnotes on that brochure that spell out exactly how much freight and PDI would cost for each model. Someone who still has that brochure should have a look.

2013 Tiger Explorer 1200
2009 DL650 ABS
2004 Honda ST1300
post #8 of 18 Old 02-05-2014, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Dealer prep......now that's funny.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #9 of 18 Old 02-05-2014, 01:05 PM
Stromthusiast!

Like others have said...only the closing price counts.
When I do it I figure what I want to pay, maybe allow a couple hundred bucks for set up, calculate the tax and make the offer.
If they don't bite...walk...simple
post #10 of 18 Old 02-05-2014, 02:20 PM
Stromthusiast!

I only deal on 'price out of the door' basis now. I got burned on a used motorcycle a few years ago, when the dealer tacked on a $250 "document" fee. Lesson learned.

In response to the OP, I've been trying to remember what the quoted prices were in the Suzuki Canada brochure, but I think it was something like $365 for PDI for the naked vee2.

Keep in mind that the SE version is not a 'real' factory model in Canada. The dealer will install side bags, hand protectors and center stand out of stock accessory parts for $1000. But I bet that the extra markup on PDI comes from the time to install the SE extras.

2013 Tiger Explorer 1200
2009 DL650 ABS
2004 Honda ST1300
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode