Motorcycle USA second ride review - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 02-03-2014, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Motorcycle USA second ride review

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 Second Ride - Motorcycle USA

In a few words: Great fun bike but not thrilling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 02-03-2014, 03:18 PM
Stromthusiast!

Greetings,

I read the review and the results are fine with me. Personally I prefer a competent, well engineered motorcycle for regular, everyday touring over a "thrilling" ride any time. If I want thrills, there are plenty of other bikes out there that can provide that, but I wouldn't consider taking them on a cross-country ride. The "thrilling" part can wear a bit thin after a few thousand miles.

Comfort, low-end power, simplicity, dependability and all-out competence are what rules at the end of the day. The new V-Strom seems to possess all of those traits. Some may consider them boring, but it's just these qualities I look for in my ride. To arrive at my destination unruffled, pain-free, refreshed and ready to ride the next day is paramount.

With the original DL-1000, Suzuki hit a home run, the new 1000 should be a grand slam! Good job Suzuki!

Ride safe.

CACooper
post #3 of 23 Old 02-03-2014, 04:12 PM
Stromthusiast!

To quote:

"The only other issue I have is the excitement factor, or lack thereof. The V-Strom is a very good bike to ride, it’s efficient, is well setup and doesn’t do anything wrong, but at no point was I thrilled riding it. I enjoyed riding it. You can carry good corner speed and ride quickly, it’s very safe and calculated, but as such lacks kick. For many people those characteristics will be a selling point."

Depressing. This is much how I would describe the wee strom. Mediocore in every category. It seems to be a common thread in most of the reviews.
I can't see how anyone could consider the original 1000 a home run, at least in terms of sales. Most of them sat on the floor with people avoiding them like they were radioactive. Almost makes it sound like they've done more of the same here. I was hoping for more.

Joe S.
'14 HD FLHR
'12 Concours
'11 DL650
'01 HD FXD
'09 HD XR1200
'79 BMW R100

post #4 of 23 Old 02-03-2014, 05:07 PM
Stromthusiast!

By home run I wasn't referring to overall sales, but design. Once you own and live with a V-Strom, an understanding develops. You just "get it". I feel the V-Strom is the most underrated motorcycle ever built. It's odd looks turned off a lot of folks, but the machine underneath is outstanding.

Since beginning my riding life at age 19 (in 1979) I've owned a total of 26 motorcycles, from Honda CBR's, Yamaha FZ's, Harley-Davidsons, a Buell Ulysses and lastly an '09 BMW GS 1200 Adventure.

The BMW was an absolute reliability nightmare. Final drive issues from 2900 miles until I finally sold it. Very expensive to maintain. Just a total disappointment. I expected better, considering the price of admission ($20,000+).

I've owned 3 V-Stroms, two 1000's (an '03 and current '12) and an '09 650. ALL were excellent bikes. NO problems, utterly reliable. I sold my '03 to get the Buell Ulysses and kicked myself ever since. Recently I was able to correct that mistake and buy another V-Strom, a 2012, the last of the breed, so to say. Blowout priced, I actually paid less for the new one than I did for my '03! Win-win all the way!

After experiencing and putting tens of thousands of miles on many motorcycles, good and bad, I thought back about which machine of all of them gave me the best value, reliability, durability, and overall satisfaction. The verdict? Suzuki V-Strom all the way!

The V-Strom's competence, reliability, engineering and overall comfort may be boring, but it sure beats being stranded on the side of the road with a more "thrilling" machine. Been there-done that. No fun.

CACooper
post #5 of 23 Old 02-03-2014, 05:45 PM
Stromthusiast!

ugly...

Having a vstrom, of any kind, reminds me about a statement I once heard as a kid..."marry an ugly woman and she will never leave you." I guess a Vstrom is similar...own an ugly motorcycle and it will never leave you....stranded!!

I love my 2012 650. The only thing ugly about that bike is having me sit on the seat!!!

Mr. Pete----->
aging hippie
post #6 of 23 Old 02-03-2014, 06:35 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CACooper View Post
By home run I wasn't referring to overall sales, but design. Once you own and live with a V-Strom, an understanding develops. You just "get it". I feel the V-Strom is the most underrated motorcycle ever built. It's odd looks turned off a lot of folks, but the machine underneath is outstanding.

I've had two of them. My assessment is not as gushing. Its okay, I would never rate it as outstanding but to each their own.

Since beginning my riding life at age 19 (in 1979) I've owned a total of 26 motorcycles, from Honda CBR's, Yamaha FZ's, Harley-Davidsons, a Buell Ulysses and lastly an '09 BMW GS 1200 Adventure.

I've had over 50 since 1969. Your point is?

The BMW was an absolute reliability nightmare. Final drive issues from 2900 miles until I finally sold it. Very expensive to maintain. Just a total disappointment. I expected better, considering the price of admission ($20,000+).

I've owned 3 V-Stroms, two 1000's (an '03 and current '12) and an '09 650. ALL were excellent bikes. NO problems, utterly reliable. I sold my '03 to get the Buell Ulysses and kicked myself ever since. Recently I was able to correct that mistake and buy another V-Strom, a 2012, the last of the breed, so to say. Blowout priced, I actually paid less for the new one than I did for my '03! Win-win all the way!

Wasn't much of a win for Suzuki. I think their idea is to actually make a profit on the bikes they produce, not have to sell them at giveaway prices.
But that does pretty well tell the story of the VStrom, particularly the 1000. A nice bike nobody seems to want unless they can steal it.

After experiencing and putting tens of thousands of miles on many motorcycles, good and bad, I thought back about which machine of all of them gave me the best value, reliability, durability, and overall satisfaction. The verdict? Suzuki V-Strom all the way!

Thats good you feel that way, a person should like their machine.

The V-Strom's competence, reliability, engineering and overall comfort may be boring, but it sure beats being stranded on the side of the road with a more "thrilling" machine. Been there-done that. No fun.

CACooper
I believe you can have both reliability and a bike that gives thrills. My C14 for example is pretty thrilling and they seem to be very reliable. Suzuki could have done it, they just didn't and thats kind of saddening.

Joe S.
'14 HD FLHR
'12 Concours
'11 DL650
'01 HD FXD
'09 HD XR1200
'79 BMW R100
post #7 of 23 Old 02-03-2014, 07:43 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe S. View Post
I believe you can have both reliability and a bike that gives thrills. My C14 for example is pretty thrilling and they seem to be very reliable. Suzuki could have done it, they just didn't and thats kind of saddening.
Do you currently own all the bikes in your sig also?

2012 DL1000 Adventure (Tinkerbell)
PC-V, TRE, CR8EIX , ECM, K&N, RDL, PR4, PC-8, EB H4, WERKS, Madstad 22", 17/43 gearing, AdventureTech: Fork brace, shelf, mirror extenders, SpeedoDRD, wheel spacer, Head's-Up voltage monitor, Goldwing pegs, Sonic 1.1, Wolo Bad Boy, ExTuff Helmet Hook.
post #8 of 23 Old 02-03-2014, 07:45 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CACooper View Post
Wow. OK, I'm done. You win. 50 bikes! Amazing. Obviously, your opinion is far more valid than mine. No hard feelings.

End of discussion for me.

Have a great day.

CACooper
How dare you post positive reviews of the DL1000! LOL!

2012 DL1000 Adventure (Tinkerbell)
PC-V, TRE, CR8EIX , ECM, K&N, RDL, PR4, PC-8, EB H4, WERKS, Madstad 22", 17/43 gearing, AdventureTech: Fork brace, shelf, mirror extenders, SpeedoDRD, wheel spacer, Head's-Up voltage monitor, Goldwing pegs, Sonic 1.1, Wolo Bad Boy, ExTuff Helmet Hook.
post #9 of 23 Old 02-03-2014, 08:00 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt1moore View Post
Do you currently own all the bikes in your sig also?
Yes, plus a non-runner 71 Honda sl100 and a Suzuki quad.

I think my point is that i don't care how many bikes a person has owned rather than claiming my opinion is any more valid than anyone else's. I do however, know what I like in a bike.

Joe S.
'14 HD FLHR
'12 Concours
'11 DL650
'01 HD FXD
'09 HD XR1200
'79 BMW R100

Last edited by Joe S.; 02-03-2014 at 08:02 PM.
post #10 of 23 Old 02-03-2014, 09:12 PM
$tromtrooper

Why don't you sell your DL650 at a bargain price and make it and the new owner, who will really appreciate it, happy. By the way, how thrilling is that 79' R100?

Last edited by madstrom; 02-03-2014 at 09:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode