First review from Motorcycle.com - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 01-21-2014, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

First review from Motorcycle.com

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Review - Motorcycle.com

An interesting observation concerning the engine:

"An alligator count resulted in a four-second timeframe for the Strom to accelerate from 65 mph to 75 mph while in top gear. At 55 mph, though, a downshift from 6th to 5th is required to quickly dispatch slower moving traffic. Otherwise, the engine outputs enough low- and mid-range power to keep things exciting and vibrations to a minimum. Above 5,000 rpm you’ll notice some engine vibes sneaking into the bars and footpegs, but you’re never cruising at this rpm (85 mph is still below the 5k-rpm threshold) unless you’re purposefully wanting to experience the rush that comes when the tach sweeps past 6,000."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-21-2014, 12:32 PM
Stromthusiast!

This bike is looking better all the time. It may be in my future.
post #3 of 13 Old 01-21-2014, 12:40 PM
Stromthusiast!

Went down on my strom

I sold my Aprilia because I was broke but spent it all on upgrades for the Strom, ah well...

post #4 of 13 Old 01-21-2014, 03:59 PM
Stromthusiast!

Those type of numbers are what I wanted to see in a test. Quarter mile, top gear roll-on, etc. Four seconds though from 65-75 does not sound that impressive. I think probably the Wee can do that, at least with a solo rider.

06 V-Strom DL650

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #5 of 13 Old 01-21-2014, 04:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by megaDon View Post
Now that is cool!!

That's the plan with mine, Akra (or Yoshi) and Big Blocks (or TKC80)
post #6 of 13 Old 01-21-2014, 05:13 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V Strom, Jr. View Post
Those type of numbers are what I wanted to see in a test. Quarter mile, top gear roll-on, etc. Four seconds though from 65-75 does not sound that impressive. I think probably the Wee can do that, at least with a solo rider.
Agree, I was nonplussed by that informal measurement - but where is this quarter mile time you speak of, that should tell us a lot more!
post #7 of 13 Old 01-21-2014, 05:15 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zedex9r View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by megaDon View Post

Now that is cool!!

That's the plan with mine, Akra (or Yoshi) and Big Blocks (or TKC80)
I already have that same red reflective rim tape hanging above my workbench to be installed as soon as my red one aka "The Crimson Pigeon" is in my garage.

"Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even usually surpassing knowledge." - E.J. Potter
post #8 of 13 Old 01-21-2014, 05:27 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoopy View Post
Agree, I was nonplussed by that informal measurement - but where is this quarter mile time you speak of, that should tell us a lot more!
Sorry, didn't mean to mislead. I meant to say of all the reviews out there so far, it seems no one has of yet given these type of stats. I'd like to see the whole gamut. Qtr. mile, 0-60, top gear roll-on, etc. I wouldn't really care that it's not super fast, but the four-second 65-75 just didn't sound great for a 1000cc motorcycle weighing 500 pounds.

06 V-Strom DL650

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #9 of 13 Old 01-21-2014, 05:49 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoopy View Post
I already have that same red reflective rim tape hanging above my workbench to be installed as soon as my red one aka "The Crimson Pigeon" is in my garage.
I assume you are also going to paint the valve covers red?

2012 DL1000 Adventure (Tinkerbell)
PC-V, TRE, CR8EIX , ECM, K&N, RDL, PR4, PC-8, EB H4, WERKS, Madstad 22", 17/43 gearing, AdventureTech: Fork brace, shelf, mirror extenders, SpeedoDRD, wheel spacer, Head's-Up voltage monitor, Goldwing pegs, Sonic 1.1, Wolo Bad Boy, ExTuff Helmet Hook.
post #10 of 13 Old 01-21-2014, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V Strom, Jr. View Post
Sorry, didn't mean to mislead. I meant to say of all the reviews out there so far, it seems no one has of yet given these type of stats. I'd like to see the whole gamut. Qtr. mile, 0-60, top gear roll-on, etc. I wouldn't really care that it's not super fast, but the four-second 65-75 just didn't sound great for a 1000cc motorcycle weighing 500 pounds.
Because like I have said many many times before, 6th gear is true overdrive with the stock gearing. I am going to call total BS on that 10 second time though, is that per GPS or speedo? If speedo they are not going 65 Miles per hour due to correction, either way I do not believe the 10 second roll on.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode