Review fron dirt bike magazine - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 01-20-2014, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Review from Dirt Bike Magazine

Vstrom on dirt:

FIRST RIDE: 2014 SUZUKI V-STROM 1000 ABS | News | Dirt Bike Magazine

Great review for the Vee2, but that depressed me:

"In terms of acceleration, the Suzukiís... can hang with a Yamaha Super Tenere."

I tried the ST once and thought it was a very boring ride... I hope that's not what the journalist meant...

Last edited by Thomasttom; 01-20-2014 at 08:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-20-2014, 08:45 PM
Banned

Good find

The Best part -

Our introduction to the bike had only brief off-road time, but it was enough to demonstrate that it is a legitimate candidate for real adventure rides.

Looking forward to seeing the full write up in April issue.
post #3 of 18 Old 01-20-2014, 11:12 PM
Stromthusiast!

I've never been on the dirt, but this article does point out that this non-GS non-KTM actually does ok on the dirt. Wow. Very cool. He does mention that the bars are flexible. What's the history here? I've heard of you experienced V Strommers changing the bars out for aluminum bars and so on. Has there been a history of bar problems or is this an issue for those heading off for real into terrain.

Thoughts??

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

2014 VStrom ADV 1000 - The VBeak!
See my life on the new VStrom at VBeak.Blogspot.com

post #4 of 18 Old 01-21-2014, 01:19 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilS14 View Post
I've never been on the dirt, but this article does point out that this non-GS non-KTM actually does ok on the dirt. Wow. Very cool. He does mention that the bars are flexible. What's the history here? I've heard of you experienced V Strommers changing the bars out for aluminum bars and so on. Has there been a history of bar problems or is this an issue for those heading off for real into terrain.

Thoughts??

On my Vee I replaced the OEM bars with Pro Taper ATV high bars. I didn't particularly hate the style of the OEM bars but I didn't like the amount of flex they produced. They seemed to transmit every bump in the road, in the dirt it was worse. It seemed partly caused by the harsh front end which has poor compression damping. Alloy bars sure made an improvement, a bit more rigid but more ability to soak up bumps and vibes. I've also read that the OEM bars are fairly weak and bend easily when the inevitable happens. I was hoping that the problem with flexy bars had been resolved but at the end of the day replacement bars are cheap so no big deal.

Cheers,

Tony

Last edited by Bully; 01-21-2014 at 01:26 AM.
post #5 of 18 Old 01-21-2014, 01:32 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:

Thoughts??

Throughout time most bars that come stock on Japanese bikes have been made of the finest cheese money can buy.
They're just mild steel. If the bike falls and the bar hits its going to bend. I imagine that also translates to being able to feel flex under some conditions which explains the popularity of the oversized aluminum bars.
Ya gotta remember Dirt Bike is used to testing dirt bikes.
"on a good day it can hang with a Yamaha Super Tenere." Frankly, I don't consider that encouraging since the Yamaha got ragged on for lack of power. Disturbing.

Joe S.
'14 HD FLHR
'12 Concours
'11 DL650
'01 HD FXD
'09 HD XR1200
'79 BMW R100

Last edited by Joe S.; 01-21-2014 at 01:36 AM.
post #6 of 18 Old 01-21-2014, 03:18 AM
$tromtrooper

Seriously a dirt bike magazine reviewing a vstrom - if anyone ask for evidence of advertising $$$ influencing contents- this is it.

L2 Glee;

K8 Wee ABS(SOLD);

SOLD: 06 FZ1; 04 Fireblade; 02 Fireblade; 97 CBR 600
post #7 of 18 Old 01-21-2014, 04:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceRider View Post
Seriously a dirt bike magazine reviewing a vstrom - if anyone ask for evidence of advertising $$$ influencing contents- this is it.
ADB (Australasian Dirt Bike) Magazine just did a review of the Tenere's (660 & 1200) and have also previously done a review of the DL650L2 model when it came out.

The Strom falls squarely into the motorcycle adventure category (whether or not the individual owner decides to take it off the road, or just stick to the black stuff) so it's natural that a "dirt" bike magazine gives it a review.

If you think that this is advertising dollars/influence at work, you are absolutely correct.

Suzuki has a job. That job is to sell motorcycles. If they decide to give the journalists/writers/testers of a dirt bike magazine a bike to review, so that the exposure for the new V-Strom 1000 is maximised across all the genres of motorcycling, not just the road/touring segment, than great

This could easily backfire on them, but it appears in this case that the bike held it's own and gets a great review on it's limited off-road capabilities. Many journalists these days won't hold back if they don't like something, as evidenced by some UK reviews recently.

The more diverse riders that see this bike the better, means more sales. More sales means much more choices in accessories, aftermarket parts etc..
post #8 of 18 Old 01-21-2014, 09:43 AM
$tromtrooper

Zede,

I love my Glee strom and like the new V. But i doubt most of the Aust Dirt Bike Mag audience would seriously consider it as a real dual sport. More of a case of so Suzuki Aust can say even Dirt Bike Mag reviewer thought it wasnt too bad- to add to their credibility. when was the last time any australian bike journals have a real bad word to say of any MC they review which is current at the time of review.

I suppose it is entirely possible that a very capable dirt bike rider can buy one, ride the sh&t out of it in the face of the ST10, GS & Tiger XC crowd.

L2 Glee;

K8 Wee ABS(SOLD);

SOLD: 06 FZ1; 04 Fireblade; 02 Fireblade; 97 CBR 600
post #9 of 18 Old 01-21-2014, 05:16 PM
Stromthusiast!

I remember when DIRTBIKE tested the first BMW GS and pretty much slammed it.

PS the Harley Electra Glide test was hilarious back in the day, also. :biggrinjester:
post #10 of 18 Old 01-23-2014, 06:30 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:

Thoughts??
If you are going to save money, I like it to be in the easy to replace sections of a bike. Many people replace things like bars anyway, just for ergo's.

So fine, save money by chucking cheap bars, tires, levers on the thing, rather than expensive bits that grenade at the slightest whiff of stress.

At least now it's just the bars and not the whole front.

2010 S10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode