RIDEAPART Website Review - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 01-20-2014, 05:07 AM Thread Starter
Banned

RIDEAPART Website Review

RIDEAPART Websites review of the new 1000:

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Review | RideApart

Summary:
The Verdict

This new V-Strom isnít the fastest or fanciest bike out there. Considering the latest competition from Europe, thereís a gap there, too. But, it is affordable, easy to buy, available from a wide dealer network and gets its job done with remarkable efficacy. Look at this new 1000 next to other Suzuki models like the V-Strom 650 and GW250 and weíre seeing a re-consideration of what this brand represents. Of those three bikes, none are headline grabbers, none boast more power than their competitors and none are going to win any races with other bikes in their class, but all three are excellent value, comfortable and broadly capable in a way which defies current motorcycle convention. Exciting? A little. Sensible? Eminently. Good value? Arguably the best there is.

RideApart Rating: 8/10

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-20-2014, 08:50 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
This was a good review, unlike some of the reviews I've read, this reviewer got what Suzuki was trying to do with the new V Strom. He understood the bike is designed to be a lower cost option to the KTM/BMW/Multi, and to do so Suzuki left out the bells and whistles, but left behind a very good fundamental bike for the real world rider. Some testers (who aren't real world riders) were scratching their heads as to why Suzuki didn't build a 150HP, active suspension, rocketship just like KTM/BMW/Ducati. It sounds like Suzuki designed in all the things into the bike that I would want without charging me for things I don't need.

2009 Wee Strom ABS (current)
1987 Harley FXR Low Rider Sport (current - with 206K miles)
2009 Aprilia Mana 850, 2006 SV650, 1984 Yamaha Virago 1000 (all sold)
Silver Strom Club Member #11

Wee Farkles: Russell Day Long Seat, Madstad with Moose Adventure Shield +4'', SWMotech Centerstand, 1'' up & back bar risers, Givi XS308 Tankbag, Aprilia mirrors, Framesliders, Fenda Extenda, Elka Shock.
post #3 of 13 Old 01-20-2014, 08:52 AM
$tromtrooper

Great review. It is refreshing to get an honest, no agenda evaluation of my soon to come Vee2. It was well written, with reasonable opinions for the positive and negative. I can imagine I will have similar opinions about the bike once I take possession. I am the type of rider Suzuki had in mind when they updated the Vee2.

post #4 of 13 Old 01-20-2014, 09:54 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Now THAT was an informative review. Thanks for posting.

Good news on the off-road impressions although some (expected) bad news on the crash protection... nothing the aftermarket can't fix though!
post #5 of 13 Old 01-20-2014, 10:31 AM
Stromthusiast!

I didn't like the new V-strom at first, but it really has grown on me (including the beak). In a way I wish it hadn't, because it is really muddying the waters in my choice to buy an FJR1300.

"No matter where you go, there you are."
post #6 of 13 Old 01-20-2014, 06:34 PM
Stromthusiast!

Definitely a more balanced review from a guy who has some understanding of where the DL fits into the scheme of things and the type of riders who it'll appeal to. I get really sick of reading stuff from the more HP is best brigade.

It was good to read some positive comments regarding the suspension in particular. I've always felt that the lack of adjustment on the front end, coupled with poor valving and spring rates that were too soft for the average sized rider really let the old Vee down IMHO. Improved stability is a big plus, not only in cross winds and in dirty air around traffic but hopefully it'll allow the addition of more generous aftermarket luggage without upsetting the bike too much.

Cheers,

Tony

Last edited by Bully; 01-20-2014 at 06:38 PM.
post #7 of 13 Old 01-20-2014, 06:53 PM
Banned

This is the part I like-

Standing up in order to ride off-road is also refreshingly comfortable. The bars are high, the pegs low and the seat/tank slim enough that you have good control, comfort and plenty of room to move around.

The dirt road we attempted was sandier than first thought, proving an actual challenge for the road-tire-equipped bikes we were on. Three other journalists wiped out in the deep sand. We were actually surprised at what a willing dirt partner this supposedly road-focused bike turned out to be. Its ABS isn’t remarkably effective in the soft stuff, as you’d expect, but is at least capable of keeping the front from washing if you stand on the front brake. The traction control works better, keeping the rear from spinning out of control while (in the lower level 1) allowing you to apply enough power to make progress. Level 2 gets in the way more, but at least there’s no chance you’ll get into trouble with it enabled.

Suspension, which feels stiff and responsive on the road, actually tackles gentle dirt roading better than you’d expect. It’s not dirt bike soft, but it at least gives you good feel to inform your riding and won’t pitch you out of the seat. With Continental TKC80s fitted, the 1000 will actually be a fairly capable dirt road tool.

Last edited by FoxOrange; 01-20-2014 at 08:09 PM.
post #8 of 13 Old 01-20-2014, 07:45 PM
Stromthusiast!

Great article and seems like an honest real world review. He says it's better in the dirt than expected. Nice to hear......just put some dual sport tires on it. Also confirms SWMotech's involvement. Which makes sense as the tank bags seem to be identical to Bags Connection.

Thanks for posting.......

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

2014 VStrom ADV 1000 - The VBeak!
See my life on the new VStrom at VBeak.Blogspot.com
post #9 of 13 Old 01-20-2014, 08:06 PM
Stromthusiast!

Same journalist from Rideapart wrote that about the new Vee in another article on the 2014's best motorcycle bargain:

"With a TL-based V-twin, the new V-Strom 1000 can run with any of the big ADV bikes, while coming in at thousands and thousands of dollars cheaper. Suzuki has maximized practicality and comfort with this new model, meaning it should hit a sweet spot for distance riders. If I was buying a new bike in 2014, itíd be this one."

That tells a lot.
post #10 of 13 Old 01-20-2014, 09:16 PM
Stromthusiast!

I think this test/tester really Nailed the essence of the VEE2 and the "New Suzuki" - as the Value Oriented Brand!! This tester stated in the comments of his review: "If I was going to buy a motorcycle in 2014, this V-Strom 1000ABS would be it."

I've bought my V-Stroms without my own test ride first. The preliminary information, tests and this Stromtrooper Forum tell me all I need to know about my potential V-Strom purchase. V-Stroms are what I have come to own, after I have ridden and owned virtually every other type and style of motorcycle that has existed since 1964. I even tried to stray from the V-Strom fold a few times over the last several years with extended test drives on Honda, Ducati, Triumph, BMW and Harley "competitors"!! I would get back on my V-Strom and revel in the fact that I just saved a bunch of money by not buying what I thought I would like better, but didn't.

Because of that, since 2004, my motorcycle has been a V-Strom:

New 2004 DL650 8-Years of real motorcycling enjoyment.
New 2012 DL650 2-Years of "Wow, this is even better."
2014 DL1000 VEE2 Adventure Deposit in October 2013. I really can't believe that they have made me my perfect motorcycle. It sure looks like Spring/Summer 2014, the new Adventure adventure begins.

BTW, I got to inspect and sit on the VEE2 at the Atlanta IMS. Fits me like a glove, felt lighter and even better balanced than my 2012 DL650.

Thanks Stromtroopers, for your honest comments, information sharing and helpful input, over the years. Even without an actual V-Strom "Test Drive" - I can make an informed purchase decision.

2014 Black DL1000ABS - Adventure. Sold 2012 Fox Orange V-Strom DL650. Sold 2004 Black Suzuki V-Strom DL650. Since 2004 Owned Nothing But V-Stroms - DL or No Deal !!

www.wingsinthewind.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode