Visor Down review UK - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 01-14-2014, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Visor Down review UK

First UK ride: Suzuki V-Strom 1000 review - Road Tests: First Rides - Visordown

It's always a question of price...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 01-14-2014, 05:03 PM
$tromtrooper

I think this was an honest review and this writers opinion. I believe anyone who purchases the Vee knows what they are getting. It isn't too difficult to figure out.Personally, the GS and
k.t.m. are too much bike for me. In addition, I do not regularly go off road. When I sat on the Vee2 at the NY IMS, it felt very similar to my Wee. I am expecting the Vee2 to be close to my Wee, with more power and a few more toys - we shall see.
post #3 of 27 Old 01-14-2014, 05:46 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Seems it's not so much a bike review as it is a review or critique of Suzuki's marketing plans and position in the ADV market in general. I'd really rather read about the bike then listen to some pundit's opinion on market segments and potential demographics etc etc.

I bet years from now we'll look back on claims that the bike can't/won't be ridden off road, and laugh...

At least when the author did take time write about the bike, the verdict was "it's good". All I need to know.

"Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even usually surpassing knowledge." - E.J. Potter

Last edited by Stoopy; 01-14-2014 at 05:48 PM.

post #4 of 27 Old 01-14-2014, 07:00 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoopy View Post
Seems it's not so much a bike review as it is a review or critique of Suzuki's marketing plans and position in the ADV market in general. I'd really rather read about the bike then listen to some pundit's opinion on market segments and potential demographics etc etc.
Agreed. Many moto-journalists are more than a bit jaded. They like the exotic and shun the affordable. For example, even though new multi-strada doesn't even pretend to be an off-the-pavement bike, journalists (and publications) routinely compare it to the GS. Yet, no one is complaining because mult-strada has zero single-track capability. They like it because it is fun to ride.

Fun to ride and affordable is good too...

2013 Tiger Explorer 1200
2009 DL650 ABS
2004 Honda ST1300
post #5 of 27 Old 01-14-2014, 09:56 PM
Stromthusiast!

I thought the writer gave a decent overall assessment given the length of article. I've seen some writers use twice as many words and say 1/2 as much.

The two things that kind of surprised me were the following quotes:

"... It also feels quite revyy,..."

and

"...It feels like the 228kg long-legged tourer it is.Actually I’d have guess it weighed more. ...."

If anything I've read from other early reviews was that the thing wasn't a revver -- more of a low rpm torquer -- and that it felt amazingly light and small for the segment.

Of course it's been said many times in many places, but you just have to go ride a bike and feel for yourself.

2006 DL650
1988 FZR400

Last edited by MCGMB; 01-14-2014 at 10:02 PM.
post #6 of 27 Old 01-14-2014, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Come on, give this tester a brake, he is from the UK. Jugdment can be altered when you get only 2 days of sun per year :lol1:

(This is a joke. I'm jealous of my friends in the UK. They can ride in January)
post #7 of 27 Old 01-15-2014, 12:53 AM
Stromthusiast!

"At 99hp, it’s a whole league down from Ducati’s 150hp Multistrada and KTM’s 148hp 1190 Adventure"

Or put another way. You'll be riding just the same where you normally ride anyway, it's just the .1% of the time you may want to do a little blat will be blatting a bit slower.

"There’s no pretence of it having any real off-road potential, unlike BMW’s R1200GS or KTM’s 990 Adventure"

Pretence? Should Suzuki pretend more?

"but if there were a cheaper edition with no traction control, I’d probably take my chances"

But it's OK for BMW and KTM to charge big bucks for even more modes.

"Personally, I have never got on a bike and thought ‘This is good, but what it really needs is a pair of fog lights."

Translation...I have never ridden a GS at night out of the city.

"The second, alternative thing I wish they had done is be the Suzuki of old. The marque that brought us the GSX-R1000, the Hayabusa, the RGV250"

Translation, Please Suzuki. Jack up a Busa and make it look ADV trendy and pretend more about it being a real ADV bike.

So basically he has no sizzle to talk about, it's all steak.

2010 S10

Last edited by GrahamD; 01-15-2014 at 12:59 AM.
post #8 of 27 Old 01-15-2014, 01:27 AM
Stromthusiast!

I think as Strommers, we are forgetting these reviewers are testing...a V-Strom, albeit a very nicely updated one at that. And we, of course, don't have issue with Stroms, knowing they are a very good basic bike. Less basic now though than before.

If the reviewer is trying to make the comparison to more expensive bikes (and it seems like some of them have), I think that is where some of the "I'm not-so-impressed with this or that" comments start to come in. It's not really fair in a way, because this bike is not those bikes sort of thing, IMO. But rated for what it is on its own, I think it's probably a very good bike, and many reviewers have said basically that. But it is kind of difficult in a way to review in the ADV category, because it seems like some of the other bikes out now are in a different class. Reviewers are going to naturally point out differences, just like buyers will. In spite of that, this bike will make many new owners perfectly happy with what they are getting. Still, we shouldn't be shocked someone will think differently and see flaws or shortcomings where we do not. It will be interesting to see how much people in their various countries will be willing to pay for this new model.

06 V-Strom DL650

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by John V Strom, Jr.; 01-15-2014 at 01:29 AM.
post #9 of 27 Old 01-15-2014, 06:46 AM
Stromthusiast!

It'll be more interesting IMO when they start doing group tests with the newest vee.

Groups like "same price point", "same power", "same marketing segment" because then we can see how it compares to alternatives. For sure it'll get voted down when 99% of testers compare it to the other 1 litre plus "adventure" bikes as most have a few CC's and quite a bit more horsepower and more electronic toys to cope with the extra power. The interesting ones (to me) will be the similar horsepower and price ones as then its comparing pears v pears and apples v apples and not potatoes v passion fruit.
post #10 of 27 Old 01-15-2014, 07:27 AM
Banned

Another very english review.

I think in the future they should just post this:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode