A few thoughts after sitting on it at the NY show.. - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old 12-15-2013, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

A few thoughts after sitting on it at the NY show..

I had the pleasure of finally sitting on the new 1000 at the bike show in NYC. It is a very nice bike. I thought the fit and finish of the bike was excellent.
I did look at all the rest of the dual sport bikes. I cannot believe the the KLR actually has a new/much better front spring set along with a new improved rear spring...and...new comfortable seat. Had a "great" chat with the gentleman who took the reviewers to Spain to ride this bike. The point he was making is that Suzuki wanted to stick to a "price point" that was affordable and make a very good bike for someone who wanted a dual sport type of bike.
I wii say, in my opinion, that it looks "much" better when you see it in real life.
It is, in my opinion, a very nice bike for around twelve grand! Oh, I was told that the headlights are 12% brighter than the older 1000. That is a good thing.
I am 6'2" tall and weigh 220 and the bike seamed very comfortable. Nice seat...I love the narrow tank...the bars felt right. The windshield is interesting how it ratchets up and down...does not feel any heavier than my '12 650.
Obviously, if you plan on doing dirt roads you would want some type of bash plate to protect the engine.
Obviously I did not drive this bike. I am sure it has a lot of zip/torque. I think that 100 hp will be "more" than adequate. If you want to spend eight or nine grand more there is always a BMW GS.
Overall, I personally feel that the new 1000 will be my next bike....as soon as I wear out my 2012 650!

Mr. Pete----->
aging hippie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 12-15-2013, 12:05 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
OK so how did the red one look to you? I gotta know!!!!

When they talk about the headlight being brighter, I wonder - since the new setup has only the one headlight, right - do they mean the one headlight is 12% brighter than the old two headlights combined, or just 12% brighter than one of the previous headlight type. I mean it's great that it's a new headlight bulb and all, but going from two good headlights to one "gooder" one, do we still have a net loss?

I will grill the Suzuki rep when they come 'round to DC early next month. Thanks for sharing your impressions!

"Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even usually surpassing knowledge." - E.J. Potter
post #3 of 29 Old 12-15-2013, 12:31 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoopy View Post
When they talk about the headlight being brighter, I wonder - since the new setup has only the one headlight, right - do they mean the one headlight is 12% brighter than the old two headlights combined, or just 12% brighter than one of the previous headlight type. I mean it's great that it's a new headlight bulb and all, but going from two good headlights to one "gooder" one, do we still have a net loss?
Two headlights:

Mototribu - Suzuki 2014, 1000 V-Strom

post #4 of 29 Old 12-15-2013, 12:48 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoopy View Post
OK so how did the red one look to you? I gotta know!!!!

I will grill the Suzuki rep when they come 'round to DC early next month. Thanks for sharing your impressions!
Whether one or two headlights, 12% brighter is an overall figure, yes the old ones had two but that does not equate to double the lighting, just you have two doing the job of what now ones does, shame I know.
post #5 of 29 Old 12-16-2013, 05:58 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

two headlights...15% brighter

I think the bike has two headlights...and I was told that the overall light output was 15% brighter than the older 1000.

Mr. Pete----->
aging hippie
post #6 of 29 Old 12-16-2013, 07:51 AM
$tromtrooper

another impression

posted on another thread, thought I would put in my 2 cents here. Thanks Mrpete64 for your take on the Vee2

Just came back from IMS in NYC. Observations.

I got there early, and was greeted by a gorgeous blond representative from Suzuki. Not a bad way to start. I sat on the Vee2, and it felt as nimble as my '11 Wee. Also, my Wee is lowered 1" in the rear, and with the stock Vee2 seat I was able to plant a good part of my feet on the ground. Suzuki states the stock seat height is 33" I believe, but whatever they did, it is much easier to plant my feet. I will not get the lowered seat. Fit and finish was very good. As stated previously, some type of bashplate will be needed of course, just as protection at the very least to road debris. It is all I want my bike to be. I told myself that if Suzuki made the new Vee2 as good as my Wee with more power and a few goodies, I would buy it. I did check out the '14 1200GS, Concours 14, FJR 1300, S10 and Honda CTX1300 just for kicks. In the end, the Vee2 works for me. I only do 5% of my riding off blacktop. The weight of the Vee2 is also key for me. The 1200GS with lowered suspension and seat was really comfortable for me, but I do not need all the gadgets, and it is $8000. more than the Vee2 - I cannot justify the extra money for items I will not use.

I will be getting the standard version without the adventure farkles, as I would like to put on other brands. I did speak with Twisted Throttle, and gave them my opinion that the Vee2 will be a big seller, and they should jump the gun and get the farkles ready for purchase. The rep. said that a good portion of their business was dedicated to the Wee/Glee - not surprising. It will be interesting, and I assume a challenge, for companies to produce farkles for this model. Excited about that.

In the end, many have spoken about an evolution, not revolution. It is apparent that Suzuki built on the Wee/Glee and previous Vstrom 1000 in the production of the Vee2. I would guess that by doing this they reduced their research, development and production costs - good for them. And in my estimation, good for us, as in reality the Vee2 is proven technology that has stood the test of time.

Looking forward to a great 2014 riding season, including the Berkshires in August, Fall Peep show in October, maybe Cape Breton and West Virginia.
Happy riding.
post #7 of 29 Old 12-16-2013, 08:17 AM
Stromthusiast!

I only just got my wee this year, so cant see buying the new Vee2 next year, but when it's time I can't wait. I've had the 1100gs, 2 x 1150GS' ADV, 3 x 1200gs' ADV, so not hankering for a GS again, but something lighter and this fills the criteria................. Thanks for the info to the guys that went to see the bike.
post #8 of 29 Old 12-16-2013, 09:55 PM
Stromthusiast!

Just looked at pics on Suzuki's website. Can't get past the looks, regardless how well it performs. Sorry, it's butt ugly !!!
post #9 of 29 Old 12-16-2013, 10:09 PM
Stromthusiast!

Looks

Butt ugly? That is the Wee/Vee battle cry! LOL!

Dave :biggrinjester:
post #10 of 29 Old 12-17-2013, 04:35 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodknocker View Post
Just looked at pics on Suzuki's website. Can't get past the looks, regardless how well it performs. Sorry, it's butt ugly !!!
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Just ask my wife. She married me, and she still thinks I'm attractive, despite my beak.

I think the new vee looks as good or better than any other adventure touring bike. And the relative cost makes it look even better.

2013 Tiger Explorer 1200
2009 DL650 ABS
2004 Honda ST1300
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode