24000km Service Report and problems. - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 02-01-2013, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
ZAR
Stromthusiast!

24000km Service Report and problems.

Here is not a ride report but my service report. :mrgreen:

As some of you know I took my Vee to Suzuki Potchefstroom for a major 24000 km service.

Issues I had with the bike:
1. Needed a 24000 km service.
2. Bike was moer thirsty. Looking at my Fuelly you will see I averaged only 13 odd Km's per liter. The last few tanks were more like 11,7 - 12.5 km/l.
3. Between 2800 rpm and 3500 rpm there were something like a flat spot. Little power and the bike would shudder, I basically always had to keep it above 3500 rpm.
4. Bike stalled a few times just as I was about to stop. (Valve clearance)

What was done:
1. Oil and Oil Filter
2. Air filter
3. Spark plugs checked and replaced
3. All clutch and brake fluids replaced
4. Rear brake pads replaced
5. Coolant replaced
6. TPS done (was "out")
7. TBS done (was "out")
8. Injectors removed, cleaned and pressure tested. (In perfect order)
9. Valve clearance was done (all valves were shimmed to speck but 3 valves were out of speck. (could be cause of stalls)
10. Full diagnostic (no error codes or faults found)
11. Dyno tuned. (Mapping and EFI adjusted)
12. Checks and odd stuff that I can not remember or that is to trivial to mention.

Results:

1. Will have to wait and see about fuel consumption. But I am sure that my right wrist will be the major factor now. *;D
2.Bike is running MUCH smoother, and pulls like a train. The flat spot is gone and it really feels like another bike. Maybe my Vee was a lesser vee till now. I can definitely feel a huge diffidence. Very pleased with the results.

Dyno tuning numbers (at rear wheel :mrgreen: ) :

First run before any adjustments:
[email protected] rpm *(73,08kw)
[email protected] rpm

Optimum run:
102,[email protected] rpm (76.73kw)
[email protected] rpm (with an almost flat curve from 4700 to 8000 rpm)

:biggrin:

Wonder what the S10 and GS1200 does at the rear wheels?

Problems and issues.

Unfortunately there were that too.
When I rode off I heard that there is a deep growl (almost sounding good * ) from the filter box area. Turned back and we took of the tank and found 2 problems of which 1 was a major slip! * *
First the one vacuum hose was not plugged in and that caused the deep grow. But I also believe in grease on the air filter seal (on my Wee I always had fine dust under the air filter in the box until I applied grease to the seal. It works 10000% to keep ALL dust out. * ). So while the tank was off I opened the air box to apply the grease and horrors!!! The appy replaced the air filter without the gasket. * *I must tell you that Peet (the owner) turned pale and red at the same time. * :wall:

I dit ride about 6-7 miles (10-11km's) without the filter and there were some dust under the filter in the air box.

How serious is this? Do I need to change the oil or something? I am a bit freaked out about this and it is worrying me. * :anxious:

On my way AGAIN I feel the rear brake fade at the second stop. Fade, fade, nothing! No rear brake at all. Shit, it was working just now??

Back to the workshop. We fitted and refitted the caliper. Bled the system. Then I noticed that, when Peet applied the brake, it seemed that only the bottom part of the piston moved. Peet stripped the caliper and found that the caliper got stuck for some reason on one side. I checked it out thoroughly and could not see any marks or anyting. We reassembled and refitted. Ta-ta-taraaaaa. Workes like a charm. Neither of us knows why or how this happened, I am sure it was of no fault of Suzuki. Just glad it happened when it did and not somewhere in the bundus. *:thumleft:

Cost of it all: R2798
That is a moer of a of alot of money!! BUT.
1. Much cheaper than a what I heard a BMW or KTM would cost. *:biggrin:
2. I got 5 horses more. Now I figured that a shitty horse cost about R3500, so this service was a moerse bargain! I scored a shitload of money/value ( 5 x R3500 = R17500. R17500 - R2798 = R14702!!! *:imaposer: :imaposer: *)

Conclusion:
I am very happy. There were an almost major "incident" but I am very sure that that will not happen again soon. The bike runs great and the guys were helpful and friendly.
Will I take my bike back to them? YES.

P.S. Previously when I was doing 120-130km/h and wanted to pass a car I felt it necessary to go to 5th gear. Today it was not necessary at all. Just open up and there we go. Like I said, I think I had a lesser Vee. *

Suzuki DL650 - 2007
Suzuki DL1000 2009 Crashed
Suzuki DL650 2006 Sold
Suzuki GSX750 - 1982 Sold
Suzuki RG50F - 1988 Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-01-2013, 09:33 AM
$tromtrooper

Glad to hear you have seen an improvement, ZAR.

Buck

K3 DL1000

K5 VN1600A
post #3 of 9 Old 02-01-2013, 11:18 AM
$tromtrooper

usefull information, especially poweroutput,thats some service center you've found that can dyno test,had no idea I'm playing with that much power,more than the biker magazine reports.
aaasome.

post #4 of 9 Old 02-02-2013, 04:16 AM Thread Starter
ZAR
Stromthusiast!

I did a few km's this morning and nailed it from 1st to 5th. Man it is running smooth and goes like a bat out of hell!

Fuel consumption also seems to better already but I will determine this over a few refuels. :mrgreen:

Suzuki DL650 - 2007
Suzuki DL650 2006 Sold
Suzuki RG50F - 1988 Sold
post #5 of 9 Old 02-02-2013, 10:50 AM
$tromtrooper

You'll know when you have it right when it wheelies on the throttle alone in first gear. My Strom wheelies with a full tank of fuel and all my weight as far forward as I can sit. I believe my 03 Vee is typical.

Buck

K3 DL1000

K5 VN1600A
post #6 of 9 Old 02-22-2013, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
ZAR
Stromthusiast!

Before the service I battled to get better than 35mpg with 27.2mpg being the worst.

Now I am totally happy with the bike!!! Did 3 tanks of fuel and it went as follows.

1. Rode at about +100mph, against a strong wind that came from the front and side, for about 90miles plus town riding.

34.0mpg.

2. Decided to ride like the decent person I am.......... only lasted about 20miles :mrgreen: . So rather hammered it as hard as I can to see what would be the worst consumption.

34.7mpg

3. This time I really did not go over 80mph and rode like a saint. :biggrinjester:

42.3mpg

Suzuki DL650 - 2007
Suzuki DL650 2006 Sold
Suzuki RG50F - 1988 Sold
post #7 of 9 Old 02-22-2013, 06:14 PM
Stromthusiast!

Good to hear. My dyno numbers were almost the same. A tuned Vee is totally a different bike.

The remap/tune session got you all the horsepower, the valves were a plus to check. The rest of the maintenance was feel good stuff at only 24,000k. The dirty air passing the filter while not good has already passed through the engine. The oil will get cleaned just fine first pass through the oil filter.

Ride on good buddy. My remapped vee is only good for around 38 mpg but I never ride it easy.

2000 Red Honda XR 400r
2003 Green Honda Rincon 650 ATV

If it is not broken, it can still be fixed
post #8 of 9 Old 02-26-2013, 09:04 PM
Stromthusiast!

What? You did all that for equivalent to US$320.00.
That was very cheap.
I think our dealers in USA are much more expensive.
post #9 of 9 Old 02-27-2013, 07:08 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBuck12 View Post
You'll know when you have it right when it wheelies on the throttle alone in first gear. My Strom wheelies with a full tank of fuel and all my weight as far forward as I can sit. I believe my 03 Vee is typical.
K2 Vee I have is the same way. Took some tuning and messing around with it to get everything balanced out. But now it pulls like a train, is smooth as butter, and will stand up on the back wheel with little to no effort. Spooked me a little the first time as I wasn't trying to do such My wife was on the back that time and needless to say she let out a yelp - like a little puppy that just saw his shadow for the first time :biggrinjester:

If you give a Moose a Muff..ler...
Its a Kid thing

Next time I'll put some effort into my username. This one sounds like a toilet Bowl cleaner or Treadmill, or..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode