StromTrooper banner

Stripped front plug

3K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  LowAndSilent 
#1 ·
I just bought the Bike 1000DL 2003 about a month ago. Brought it back to Phoenix from Colorado and it has to get emmision tested here for me to get a plate.

You guest it it failed. Idle test is too high on CO. I now from the service records that came with the bike that it was remapped by a dealer for the low end stutters way back in like 04 or 05. I was thinking they just richen up the low end to smoothen it out.

So my thought was to Clean the throttle bodys and adjust everything up and put in a new set of plugs.. That is when it all went bad.
I could feel the front plug not wanting to come out from the first turn. Yes this is a familiar feel. So unscrew a little than back in a little and after a few cycles of this it is about half way out. Then it just wont go anymore. So I pull the radiator so I can get at it better, but yes it is just pulling the threads out with it, GRAP!:headbang:

Options: Helicoil, New head or heads?? will TL heads work? I was about to just JB it back in and go trade it in!

And after I get it back together I still have to take it in and get it dynoed to set the ecu up to pass emissions.

See less See more
#8 ·
If you take it to a pro and he is really a pro it will come back with a time sert installed. They may have to take off the head but it will be done correctly. If you need a new head the SV 1000 head will work. If you look up the parts all valve springs and small parts are the same. Even the intake boot from your DL will bolt up. And better yet there are many many more available and they are cheaper too.

#10 ·
Not familiar with timecerts. Is that an insert that is pressed in not screwed in like a helicoil? If so yes that would be much better.

The top end of the front comes apart so easely That I would never think of cutting in a helicoil with it in place and risking scoring a cyl.

Thanks for the heads up on the SV heads. The shop I took the head to hear in Mesa said he had a set of TL heads. I checked the part numbers and they are not the same. Anybody now what differance there is?

I should here today about my head.

#11 · (Edited)
a timesert is a thread replacement similar to a helicoil, except that it's a more "permanent" installation and a bit more durable for use in applications that see add/removal of components or whatever it is that's threaded into the repair.

installation is basically the same process, except that the installer tool expands the insert so that it's less likely to back out when you remove whatever it is that you put back in. it's a solid thread repair lug as opposed to a coiled wire type. I've used helicoils before, too, but for something like a spark plug or anything else that will see use, I prefer the timesert.

talk to a machinist about your situation. they might even be able to do it without pulling the head.

the tricky part about thread repairs with a timesert is getting it drilled out plumb. aluminum is so soft, it's easy to drill out skewed. then the insert goes in skewed, and doesn't tighten/seat properly at the top.

#12 · (Edited)
I've done Heli-Coil inserts in-situ.
They make a special spark plug kit and the tap is a combination piloted reamer/tap that is extra long and turned by hand.
You gob it up with grease to catch/retain the chips, back it out often to clean, regrease and cut again till done. You typically only have to do this 3-4 times.
What little debris might go into the cylinder is blown out and the first few seconds of run time. See links.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/repair/4212608
http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/p-1492-helicoil-5396-14.aspx
http://www.helicoil.in/pdf/HeliCoil Professional Kit.pdf

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.