Clutch Lever Mod - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 Old 06-07-2010, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Clutch Lever Mod

One common question about the hydraulic clutch on a DL 1000 is that the takeup point, or where the clutch starts to move the bike forward as you release the lever, is very close to the end of the levers travel. It is not a mechanical problem, once you know it will not cause the clutch to slip most just get used to it and don't think about it. But I ride other bikes and the difference in takeup points is enough that I found myself really wanting to do something about it. Below is a pic of the lever at rest for reference:

This is a pic of the approximate takeup point after the modification:

This is a pic of the pushrod as it sits in the brass bushing of the lever. The pushrod is held in the master cylinder by a rubber bellows. The larger rounded end goes into the master cylinder. Make sure to grease the brass bushing when reinstalling it.:

This is a pic of the pushrod after modification. Make sure to remove material only from the smaller diameter post that fits into the brass bushing! Take a little off at a time, reinstall it and find a point that you like. My final overall length of the pushrod was 1.36 inches. This mod makes a big difference in the ability to modulate the clutch for low speed manuevers!
husky390 likes this.

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 09-02-2010, 06:40 AM
Stromthusiast!

Thanks heaps realshelby for that fantastic suggestion and photos to match.

I thought that lever replacement was my only hope but your mod is the way I'll go.

You can't imagine how happy I am that I asked. And it wont cost $s.

great stuff.

Wayne.
post #3 of 39 Old 09-02-2010, 08:15 AM
Stromthusiast!

A question please.

By doing the mod, will it create freeplay in the clutch lever once the clutch is engaged .i.e will there be slop/movement in the lever when fully extended???

Many thanks

Petey

post #4 of 39 Old 09-02-2010, 12:38 PM
Stromthusiast!

How about converting into wire pulled clutch ?
Think I read about it somewhere, but can't remember where.

-----------------------------------------------
DL1000 K2, Gsxr1000 K6, DRZ 470 [COLOR="Red"]Burned Edition[/COLOR]
post #5 of 39 Old 09-02-2010, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by petey0505 View Post
A question please.

By doing the mod, will it create freeplay in the clutch lever once the clutch is engaged .i.e will there be slop/movement in the lever when fully extended???

Many thanks

Petey

Petey, there is more movement. Similar to what a cable clutch lever will have. I have had no issues with the switch making contact. I don't even notice the "slack" when riding. Nothing negative to report, I have put about 1500 miles on it since. Huge difference in feel of the clutch like when doing tight u-turns, etc.

Just don't get carried away with how much you cut off! A little goes a long way and it is so easy to do you won't mind putting it together a few times to test it.

The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]

Last edited by realshelby; 09-02-2010 at 03:22 PM.
post #6 of 39 Old 09-05-2010, 12:37 AM
Stromthusiast!

I performed this modification today.

It was very easy. I removed around 2mm from the length of this small shaft, put it all back together and it worked just fine for me. Even with this small amount of material removed it was enough to make a significant difference to the operation of the clutch lever. For me, with my hand problem, it's operation was pain free for the first time since buying the bike. And if cost nothing.

Because the clutch lever does not actually change it's rest position there is a small amount of freeplay before you actually get to activate the clutch. But it is only freeplay and requires almost no pressure / effort to pass through this minimal area. This was, previously, the area where I was experiencing pain in my hand.

I thoroughly recommend this mod to anyone with say an injury or small hands or both like myself.

Thanks again to realshelby for this suggestion.

Cheers and happy travels,
Wayne (True Blue)
post #7 of 39 Old 09-17-2010, 03:46 PM
Stromthusiast!

wow, great post! I'm definitely gonna do this. Vote for Sticky!
post #8 of 39 Old 09-18-2010, 02:35 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by f2dog View Post
How about converting into wire pulled clutch ?
Think I read about it somewhere, but can't remember where.
You can do it by installing the clutch system from the TL1000S.

Kawidad
2007 DL1000K7
post #9 of 39 Old 03-20-2014, 11:20 PM
Stromthusiast!

Fantastic idea and mod for the DL1000

First let me say I when I was out for a ride today I found my clutch lever took quite a bit more effort than I remember. I was wonder if I was getting weaker in my old age (56)? After searching this great forum, I came across this mod and remember see it before but deciding against it because I didn't want the "extra" play at the beginning of the lever stroke. Then I read in another thread that while the aftermarket levers made things better, the actual force to engage the clutch was the same. So I decided to go ahead with this mod figuring if I didn't like it I could just order another new pushrod piece and try after-market levers.
I went on the cautious side and only removed 2mm. Most importantly, I cleaned up the entire lever assembly removing old grease, polishing with Scotchbrite and steel wool all the pivoting surfaces. After putting everything back together with plenty of fresh waterproof grease and I took the bike out around the house for a few blocks. It felt like a new clutch. I felt no looseness at all. There is a spring in the lever adjusting knob that I believe helps keep the slack from shortening the pushrod to a minimum. The clutch engagement point is closer to the bars so it will take some getting used to but the effort was decreased by at least 30-40% or so it seems. From beginning to end the job took me about 30 mins and I'm not pro mechanic by any stretch of the imagination. Thanks so much for the information. I would suggest this mod to anyone wanting to improve and ease the clutch pressure.
post #10 of 39 Old 03-21-2014, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Hogsniper, glad you appreciated the mod! While it technically won't change the actual clutch lever pressure needed to actuate the clutch, the fact that your fingers get a much better hold on the lever sure gives it a LOT better feel.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode