Fantastic idea and mod for the DL1000
First let me say I when I was out for a ride today I found my clutch lever took quite a bit more effort than I remember. I was wonder if I was getting weaker in my old age (56)? After searching this great forum, I came across this mod and remember see it before but deciding against it because I didn't want the "extra" play at the beginning of the lever stroke. Then I read in another thread that while the aftermarket levers made things better, the actual force to engage the clutch was the same. So I decided to go ahead with this mod figuring if I didn't like it I could just order another new pushrod piece and try after-market levers.
I went on the cautious side and only removed 2mm. Most importantly, I cleaned up the entire lever assembly removing old grease, polishing with Scotchbrite and steel wool all the pivoting surfaces. After putting everything back together with plenty of fresh waterproof grease and I took the bike out around the house for a few blocks. It felt like a new clutch. I felt no looseness at all. There is a spring in the lever adjusting knob that I believe helps keep the slack from shortening the pushrod to a minimum. The clutch engagement point is closer to the bars so it will take some getting used to but the effort was decreased by at least 30-40% or so it seems. From beginning to end the job took me about 30 mins and I'm not pro mechanic by any stretch of the imagination. Thanks so much for the information. I would suggest this mod to anyone wanting to improve and ease the clutch pressure.