StromTrooper banner

OEM Kappa bag latch problem

1K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  slovcan 
#1 ·
Hi folks,

Well, I've had a problem develop lately. I think it must be temperature related since it is now mostly below freezing. The latches on the original Suzuki Kappa saddlebags are not releasing. The first indication was a couple of weeks ago when I tried to put the bags back on after reinstalling the wheels. I had a hell of a time getting the latch release buttons to press far enough to hook ove the top mounts. I thought there may have been a bit of ice in them from condensation (and maybe there is). I didn't have any alcohol handy so sprayed a bit of penetrating lube in them and worked them a bit. That worked enough to get them back on the bike. But, now I can't get them off. The buttons won't press more than an 1/8th inch (3 mm) - actually, I think less, maybe 2 mm at most.

The trunk is not affected. This seems to support the ice theory since its latch is horizontal so less chance of water (condensation) sitting under the buttons preventing them from sliding far enough in (down on the bags).

Thoughts anyone?

Cheers,
Glenn

#3 ·
No, not yet. I'll give that a go. I found some alcohol here in the house - no, not Screech or Borovicka - so I'll give that a go, too.

I can't be the first one that this has happened to.............. can I?

Thanks,
Glenn

#5 ·
Yeah, they've been perfect 'til now, David. Must be like I said, frozen. When I fix it I'll let everyone know.

Cheers,
Glenn

#7 ·
Verdict - FROZEN. Temperature is currently 6*C. The latches released on both bags. I removed and turned them upside down and a significant amount of water ran out of the push button latches - streamed out, not dripped out. Now to let them dry and spray some water displacing fluid into them at the very least - maybe even try to take them apart for a look, clean, lube.

The latch assembly on the trunk wasn't affected because it lives in the horizontal position - no water can get in and stay in - not in any quantity anyway. The bags, being vertical all the time, have a "bowl" - an empty space below the latch push button - that can fill up.

Cheers,
Glenn

By the way, I LOVE this bike! When I bought it from David it was in showroom condition - better, actually. It will be a challenge to ride it and keep it that way!

#10 ·
Yeah, weird. I just blew out all the remaining moisture and sprayed some WD-40 Silicone lube in and around them and in the keyholes and exercised them. That should sort them out for now. I'll add that to the Fall to-do list from now on.

Cheers,
Glenn

#12 ·
The bikes live in the garage. The water was probably a combination of rain riding and condensation from the above/below freezing cycles of Fall weather. I consider my bikes to both be all-weather around the world bikes - with the exception of the VFR which I have sold.

If a bike can't live a sheltered life, then yes, definitely bring in the detachable stuff. Hopefully regular care of the latches will prevent this from happening again.

Cheers,
Glenn

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.