Possible charge issues - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 11-14-2019, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Possible charge issues

Right guys after thoughts and feedback please, my 2003 k2,went out Sunday 100 mile ride,stopping after 40miles for a brew,another 60 miles stopped at coast, after 1 hr,jumped back on bike seemed to turn over bit slower, had it optimate overnight then showing fully charged stood bike at work Monday night for 11 hours,came out,switched on turned over wouldn't fire,had to bump start it,back on optimate, tuesday and Wednesday night the same,thursday night 9hr shift it started, multimeter read 13.43 volts,straight off the charger,checked after stood at work had dropped to 12.88 volts, started it up,with lights on revved to 4k rpm multimeter was reading 14volts,can't work this out help please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 11-14-2019, 10:49 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Time for a new battery. Alternatively you have a power draw somewhere, but that seems unlikely.

You should fit a voltmeter to your bike. Mine shows a stable 13.9 volts with the engine running. Keep in mind that your model is notorious for having stator issues https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl1000-...-pictures.html, but probably not in this case.
From what you say your battery is failing to hold its charge.
DesertBike likes this.

2010 Weestrom; 2017 Kawasaki Versys-X300; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100
post #3 of 22 Old 11-14-2019, 11:53 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockie View Post
Time for a new battery. Alternatively you have a power draw somewhere, but that seems unlikely.

You should fit a voltmeter to your bike. Mine shows a stable 13.9 volts with the engine running. Keep in mind that your model is notorious for having stator issues https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl1000-...-pictures.html, but probably not in this case.
From what you say your battery is failing to hold its charge.
I vote battery. That said, when did the stator issues start on the Vee - 2003 or 2004?

Cheers,
Glenn

Anything can happen in Formula 1 and usually does! - Murray Walker

Here - 2002 V-Strom DL1000, 1999 Triumph Trophy 900, 2003 Maxima SE 6-Speed, 1997 Silverado K2500 - 454
Slovakia - 2004 Rover 75 CDT Tourer w/ Tuning Box
Past - 1977 Honda 400/4 Supersport, 1982 Honda CB900 Custom, 1984 Honda V65 Sabre (TWICE), 1996 Kawi GPz1100, 1990 Honda VFR750F

post #4 of 22 Old 11-15-2019, 12:15 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

If you take a reading at the start of your ride, at the end for your ride and after you have parked the bike for a few hours you will know more.

If you have a charging problem it is more likely the voltage will be lower at the end of your ride than the start.

If you only get 14v at 4000rpm and considerably less at lower RPM's I would suspect you have a charging problem.

It becomes hard because a bad battery can give you a bad result when testing.

If the voltage drops while parked your battery is stuffed, a full battery is 12.8v if it falls much below that while just sitting overnight your battery is stuffed.

A good overnight test is turn on your headlight for a few minutes and burn off any extra voltage above 12.8v then let it sit. (the burn off is important)

If it maintains 12.8-12.7 overnight the battery should be OK if it continues to fall with no load look for a new battery.
blaustrom, Gert, Brockie and 1 others like this.

Some of the 19 rides in my shed
2014 V2, Snoopy
2009 Wee, Pumbaa the pig
WR450F, The Blue Postie Bike
YZ250N smoker with rego, Stinky.
Yamaha MT09 (FZ09), The Scud missile.
Club Lead not Club Med.
He with the most toys wins.
Out of my depth in a puddle.
Live life on the edge you will see more that way.
Ridding a motorcycle keeps things in balance.
At the end of each trail and at the end of each day history is made.
post #5 of 22 Old 11-15-2019, 09:12 AM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Install a voltmeter on the bike! This is the most important thing you can do on these bikes to keep you from getting stranded. Especially as they get older.

While this can be a battery, the fact that the battery charges up and seems to hold voltage for a while might mean other problems.

Stators can seem fine when cold but when they get hot they show a fault. Rotor magnets can move together and lower output of the stator. This also causes issues with the stator that can shorten its life.

If this were my bike, I would pull the magneto cover and inspect the magnets and stator. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!
Big B, Gert and DesertBike like this.

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
post #6 of 22 Old 11-15-2019, 10:23 AM
Stromthusiast!

Mick,

Lots of good advice, so far, that'll keep you busy. The tests you can do on the stator and rectifier are pretty simple. Lots written up on this forum of how to do the tests. Some done with bike running, some with engine off. One test that is best done by an autoparts store (like AutoZone or Advance) is to have the battery load tested. They'll tell you quickly if the battery is worth keeping. If it is dead when you take it there, Advance will even charge it free before testing. And if you do decide to open up the side case to take a look at your magneto/stator magnets, go ahead and do the JBWeld modification even if they have not moved. Get ahead of that potential issue if you can. And by all means, do install a voltmeter on your dash. It won't cure any future charging issues, but it will alert you to potential problem so you can nip 'em in the bud.

Keep us posted on your activities and the results.
Gert and DesertBike like this.
post #7 of 22 Old 11-16-2019, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

So far had conversation with previous owner/mechanic who guided me through text conversation on how to use multimeter to check battery and check for a drain, at same time had another conversation with a bike mechanic from where I work and also contact local bike dealer who ordered me the Suzuki recommended battery.Got a call 2hrs later to say battery had been delivered into shop,fitted new battery late last night ,bike started,connected optimate overnight, disconnected charger this morning, started,left off of the charger all day, will start later when I get home.Also new battery is bigger in size,mechanic from work checked after I sent him pictures of both batteries together and he also researched and said correct battery,the battery that was fitted was not suitable for big v-twin so touch wood the issue is hopefully now resolved. Will update you all later and thankyou all for the advice.
post #8 of 22 Old 11-16-2019, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Battery on left is what was fitted when I picked the bike up,battery on the right is the one the motorbike shop ordered me in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191116_135612_1573912589477.jpg (615.7 KB, 8 views)
post #9 of 22 Old 11-16-2019, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Update on issue, got home after being out all day, bike not been on charger for about 9hrs turned igniton on fired straight off the button,turned off and done again started straight away, hopefully this has sorted issue, if ok I will reconnect the alarm next weekend,real test is bike being stood for 12hrs a day next week whilst at work .
post #10 of 22 Old 11-16-2019, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Install a voltmeter.......you will thank us.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode