Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Langley, BC, Canada
205 000 KMS today. And then...
So, the old Vee turned over 205 thousand clicks on the way home from work this afternoon, in a monsoon rain.
It is also election day in Canada, and every SOB was trying to get to the ballot box at the same time as me. What should have been a 40-minute ride ended up double that. It took me a good 25 minutes sitting in the downpour just to get onto the freeway. Then there was the very new and shiny Dodge Ram that decided to head for the ditch only a few minutes from my destination. Bad day for him. That few minutes ended up in another 25 minutes in the rain watching the the fire trucks set up their perimeter.
And then it started.
The idiot style volt meter I installed on the bike eons ago turned from green to amber to red. And stayed there. I shut off my heated gear (which was hardly even on) and revved up the engine, but no change. Solid red. Discharge situation.
Luckily, things began moving and I was able to get home in a matter of minutes.
Ditched the bike, hopped in the truck, and performed my civic duty.
After returning home I began to investigate. 12.6V at rest. 14.5V at 4000 RPM. This is normal.
Then things changed. 12.4 and decreasing at revs. Down, down, down. Back into the red zone.
Shut it down. Fire it back up. Things are normal again. Can't get it to discharge.
Start monkeying with wiring connections under the seat, fuse box okay, check battery terminals (battery is not "new" and could be suspect), and discover that the heated grips are not working. This is new. They were working in the morning. Check fuses with meter - all good.
Then the grips begin heating. Then not. Something bad in that circuit. OEM grips. I did have to fix broken wires in the clutch side grip at one point many years ago. Problem could be in there.
But also, in the past couple of days, I have noticed a hint of a "metallic" sound that makes me think of the magneto. I have to check that too. I replaced the stator and reaffixed loose magnets back in 2016, about 38 000 kms ago. I fear the JB Weld may have let go, as it seems to have for some others.
The one question I have at the moment is if one can check the magnets by removing the generator plug. I'm thinking I could just stick a wire in there and drag it around the magneto and feel if anything is amiss. I'm pretty sure you can't get a visual on the magnets through that hole. I really don't want to pull the entire cover off just to find the magnets are okay.
Okay. Done venting.
The Vee has brand new shoes (Dunlops). She can't die this way but she's old, and if she's munched a magnet, that might just be the end.
And now V-Tom is going to pass me in kilometerage. I was hoping to hold him off for a few more weeks until winter holds him at bay...
The DRZ is my mount for the rest of the week. Further investigation continues this weekend.
DL1000K6 Two wheels good; four wheels bad.