Inconsistent idle - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 09-21-2019, 03:50 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Inconsistent idle

A few weeks ago I noticed that my idle rpm's were going up and down a bit. The bike ran ok, but when going home from a trip the engine was not working properly under 4000rpm.

My first thought was that the TPS was acting up, so I put it in dealer mode and the C00 line would jump up around 3000rpm.

I also found out that the breather filter in the airbox was almost gone.

Cleaned out the airbox, put in a new air filter and still waiting for the breather filter.

Changed the TPS, sync'd the throttle body's, but the idle was still inconsistent. It starts when the engine is hot, 3 temperature bars.

The wierd thing is when I unplug the vacuum tube from the air pressure sensor the idle rpm's are then consistent and dead steady.

There are no vacuum leaks, new vacuum hose and caps.
There is nothing blocking the vacuum tube either (checked it).

Not getting a C13 error code.

The secondary throttle plates have been out for 10 years.
It looks like that for some reason the STA motor starts moving up and down trying to compensate for something and in the process also moves the primary throttle plates.

The idle speed has been inconsistent in the past as well when the engine gets hot, like driving through heavy traffic in a hot day.

https://youtu.be/8Ghsw54QwY4

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

Don't ask...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 09-21-2019, 04:37 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

It could be something as simple as a fuel contamination. A fuel flow test should help rule out a fuel problem, https://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php/topic,3981.0.html. Perhaps there is more advice in either https://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.ph...c,16395.0.html and https://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php/topic,4764.0.html. Let us know if you find the cause of the erratic idle.
Rides likes this.
post #3 of 21 Old 09-22-2019, 04:34 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Another report with similar symptoms as in your post, https://www.v-strom.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=36834.0

post #4 of 21 Old 09-22-2019, 06:31 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Did the external filter modifications a long time ago, the inline filter has less then 20000km.

We don't have ethanol in the fuel here (yet), and ran 2 full tanks in the same day from different pumps since this started.

No secondary plates in the throttle body, also removed a long time ago.

Did a TEKA fuel adjustment in June this year. The bike has never run better.

TRE fitted and have a gear/temp/voltmeter display made by a guy on the Croatian V-Strom forum. Voltage is fine.

Standard exhaust.

Even though I don't have the secondaries in, and since the fuel tank and panels are off the bike, will check if it needs to be adjusted because the STP sensor moves the STV actuator. (Just guessing here)

The thing that puzzles me is that idle (on a hot bike) returns to normal when the vacuum tube is disconnected from the air pressure sensor.

Don't ask...
post #5 of 21 Old 09-22-2019, 07:04 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

post #6 of 21 Old 09-22-2019, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert View Post
Yes it has the canister. It's between the throttle body vacuum and air pressure sensor. I put a new hose and checked the canister. It's not clogged, no cracks on it. Hose is all the way on all connections.
Don't know it's purpose, could find any info about it.

Don't ask...
post #7 of 21 Old 09-22-2019, 08:21 PM
Stromthusiast!

The STPS may have a dead or worn spot on it's wiper causing the STP actuator to hunt. There are two air pressure sensors in the FI system. The one you are removing vacuum from (IAP) and an ambient sensor(AP) located under the seat. My hunch is that removing vacuum from the IAP sensor is sending both sensors to ambient and fooling the ECU into shutting off power to the STP actuator. Just my two cents.

Paul

2005 DL 1000
2008 ST 1300
post #8 of 21 Old 09-23-2019, 10:14 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilo Haole View Post
The STPS may have a dead or worn spot on it's wiper causing the STP actuator to hunt. There are two air pressure sensors in the FI system. The one you are removing vacuum from (IAP) and an ambient sensor(AP) located under the seat. My hunch is that removing vacuum from the IAP sensor is sending both sensors to ambient and fooling the ECU into shutting off power to the STP actuator. Just my two cents.
The STPS was generally where my mind was going as well. The secondary throttle position sensor is no better quality than the primary, so it wears out prematurely too.

Also, OP really needs to tell us what year DL1000 we're discussing here. There are some differences in the 1st gen DL1000 electronics that may or may not make a difference.

2002 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom, Dark Metallic Space Blue
1983 Suzuki GS850G, Cosmic Blue
2005 KLR685, Aztec Red - Turd II.2, the ReReTurdening
post #9 of 21 Old 09-23-2019, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

I have a KLV 1000, 2004 model.

Today I took the IAP sensor off a friend's 2004 DL1000 that works fine, and put it in mine. No difference, so it's not the IAP.

I checked the resistance on the secondary TPS. It was just a bit off then the values in the service manual. I adjusted it, no change.

Don't ask...

Last edited by jeeves; 09-23-2019 at 05:51 PM.
post #10 of 21 Old 09-23-2019, 09:42 PM
Stromthusiast!

OK here is another theory to ponder. When the secondary actuator causes the primary throttle plate to open, The TPS is moving and the IAP sensor is detecting the change in vacuum. The ECS will receive these sensor inputs and increase injector flow. When you remove the vacuum line the IAP can no longer tell the ECU what is happening in the intake. Does the secondary actuator stop moving when you pull the vacuum line? One of the inputs to the STP system is gear position. Could there be a possibility that your add on gear position indicator is causing interference with the ECU signal?

Paul

2005 DL 1000
2008 ST 1300
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode