StromTrooper banner

Beamtech H4 LED headlights

9K views 34 replies 16 participants last post by  nickeyj 
#1 ·
Installed these a couple of weeks ago. They are head and shoulders better than the stock headlights if anyone is looking for some LED headlights. They have no fan, just humongous cooling fins. One of the lights was throwing it's low beam higher than the high beam and I thought I'd gotten a bad unit, but I rotated it 180 degrees and it works really well now. Amazon for 38.99. I'm not affiliated, just excited to be able to see again and thought I'd share.

Bob

#4 ·
I'll see your pricey LED's and raise you the $20.29 I paid from Banggood for LEDs with fans.
35W 6500K. Sku 497542-11373702 in case someone wants to order these.
Had them for a year now
I was surprised the rubber boot fit over them as easily as it did.
Let there be light!
I saved the box the LED's came in and am carrying around the original H4's in the trunk in case I had a failure.

#10 ·
Banggood won't show anything when searching for that SKU. Can you give another clue as to what ones you bought?

Cheers,
Glenn

#6 ·
divebobber, any chance you can post a pic of the beam pattern at night?

i recently installed beamtechs in my wife's corolla and they are pretty decent

#12 ·
I'll try to remember. I don't have a pic of the stock bulb's patterns, color, or brightness so nothing to compare it with but, if I remember, I'll do it tonight. I have poor night vision and all I can say is that these lights make me feel like I've got my old eyes back.

#7 ·
I'm glad you like them. There is a lot to be said for brighter lights. And I think they are probably a good up grade choice for many people, but this companies advertising is exactly why I will not carry LED headlight replacements.

You simply can not produce 8,000 lumen withe 25 watts. In a light with a back reflector the very best most modern LEDs make just hair more than 10 lumen per watt. The average Chinese made LED makes about half that, about 5 and 7 lumen per watt. Some of teh best LEDs made in Taiwan arr just shy of 10 lumen per watt.

Doesn't mean they are not a good thing to put on your bike, but those claims are just ridicules and rampant in the LED head light bulb world.

#11 ·
Ok, box in hand...there is C E RoHS and a bunch of symbols.
The label on top has a bar code with the sku4972542-11373702,
0327-8335-10688 Y-S-05-16
Also numbers POA1346064
The box also had lamp specs.
The fading heat printed receipt says 1100372 sku 497542
Hope that helps. But I've had them for a year and goodness knows how long Banggood has things in stock. I'd imagine they have an ever rotating supply of goods.
Kinda like Costco, buy it when you see it cus it won't be there tomorrow!

#13 ·
Switched to Beamtechs last December. I do have pics of the beam pattern at night. High/low, and even with stock H4 on one side, Beamtech LED on the other.

You have to take the lumen claims with the proverbial grain of salt. All I can say for sure is that my Beamtechs use far less power than the stock H4s, while providing more and more-useful light.

I really only bought them to save power for heated gear. The improved lighting was a nice side effect. I was just hoping the light pattern would not be worse than stock.

The lack of moving parts in the Beamtechs was a selling point. Never wanted LEDs that needed a cooling fan.

#16 ·
Here are some photos showing the difference in lighting against my garage door - closest I could come to a standardized test environment.

Low beam photos. I have hi-beam examples too if anyone's interested.

Stock halogens:

Beamtech LEDs:

Beam cutoff is a bit sloppy with the LEDs, but the improved brightness and greatly reduced power consumption are worth it.

#17 · (Edited)
I went out and took some pics of my beams last night. One in the backyard is blurry but you can see the coverage. The first one is high beam about 50' from a door. Second one is high beam 10' away. The third, blurry one, is low beam at 50 yards in my backyard. The fourth is high beam at 50 yards. The fifth one is low beam in my neighborhood. I'll send one of my high beam in the neighborhood in another post since I'm at my limit for this post.

Bob

Attachments

#18 ·
Here are a few more. The high beam in the neighborhood also has a couple of LED running lights that I added, but they illuminate more of the close up area than way down the road. There are also a couple more low beam shots against the garage door.

Attachments

#19 ·
I dumped the Beamtech offering for Hikari 9600s. For the same price, I have a sharper beam pattern with far better output and greater reliability (Beamtech started flickering at seven months.)

Reactions: DesertBike
#20 ·
Can you provide a link to this product? I looked in ebay but there were many different products.

Thanks,

#27 ·
Tried the Hikaris tonight in my Dodge truck.

Well, I finally got the Hikaris installed in my Dodge and I have to say, I like the Beamtechs in my Vee better. The Beamtechs actually put out quite a bit more light and it is better concentrated light. that MAY be a function of the lenses. I also don't like that the Hikaris can rotate within the housing. The instructions (Pidgin English) say to rotate them to the "six O'clock position, but there's nothing that will keep vibration from rotating them OUT of the six O'clock position.

Bob

#23 ·
i plan to avoid LEDs with fans, as most of what i've read about those lamps is that the fans fail which leads to bulb failure

#24 ·
I installed them on my DL650, they worked good. I used the Cyclops bulbs and they were working when I sold it. My VFRX has enclosed buckets with little room for the extra wiring and box. I have my Baja Design off road LED lamps wired through a Skene relay that triggers 100% with my high beams. I may try to install a high end LED H7 bulb in my high beam since it will only get intermittent use. I will leave the low beam halogen due to the reflector shape, it just scatters led light everywhere but where you want it. I also want en eye blistering high beam bulb, anyone knows a source for 50+ watt H7 LED bulbs?

#25 ·
Like DesertBike, I have had my Beamtech H4’s in since about last December. Run mine through the EB relay I had installed several years ago. Work great and so far, knock on wood, no problems.

#28 ·
The online advertising is slick but the English isn't and what a lark about "duralumin"...

"...the material of radiator is duralumin special for aerospace."

Duralumin, an aged aluminum alloy, was developed in 1903 the same year the Wright Brothers flew Kitty Hawk for 12 seconds. Imagine how long they would have flown with "Duralumin"!

Attachments

#29 ·
That's probably just poor translation. According to Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duralumin

"duralumin" today usually refers to a 2000-series alloy.

Whether that makes it the right material for the purpose is another discussion. I worked briefly in the aircraft seating industry, and I seem to recall mostly 6000- and 7000-series aluminum alloys being used. Those were chosen for their toughness and strength more than anything. You want an aircraft seat to be light and strong, to flex, bend, or even become ductile under shock loads, rather than shatter. Heat dissipation is not a consideration.

#34 ·
Here is the new Cyclops H7 LED @ 5700K and 4800 lumens. I only ordered one to see if it would fit in the enclosed buckets of the X, it fits in the high beam lower bucket, barely. That assures it will fit in the low beam bucket twice the size. I'm not sure I am going to install it in the low beam, it's just too bright and I am concerned about distracting other drivers. 90% of my riding is urban so I'm on the fence. In the high beam pic, the tree line behind the houses is about 300m from the bike. The thing shines forever in the X's round high beam reflector. The H4 for the V Strom is also new, I had the previous gen H$ lights in my Strom and they were awesome, these can only be better. They are expensive but with LED lights you usually get what you pay for and I would have to say these are probably the best available right now. Photo 1 is OEM halogen low beam, 2 is OEM halogen low beam and cyclops high beam.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.