Dl1000 front/rear signals same? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 09-12-2019, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Garage
Dl1000 front/rear signals same?

Previous owner put a set of little tucked in carbon fiber looking turn signals on the front of bike. I think they look goofy and had planned to buy some stock ones. However after I replaced the cargo rack today with the stock piece, and put the right sized bolts into the givi rack mounts my panniers are very close to the rear signals. So, if front and rear are same I would just swap them and paint the carbonish fiber looking ones black.

Chuck P
2004 DL1000
2003 FZ1
www.oldjeep.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-14-2019, 05:43 AM
Stromthusiast!

The part numbers are different, https://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oemp...torcycle/parts. There is nothing preventing you from trying to mount the rear turn signal stalks on the front. If memory serves (but open to correction), there is a small drain hole on the underside of the lenses, which one has to take note of.
DesertBike and oldjeep like this.
post #3 of 13 Old 09-14-2019, 09:36 AM
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Like many manufacturer's Suzuki gets a lot of their components from China. Turn signals, levers, perches, switch gear, on and on. In many obviously you can find knock offs, but in some cases it is the actual part without the ridicules mark up. I have found that to be true for turn signals, pegs, and levers.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...114078c9BFBexz
Gert and oldjeep like this.

Last edited by richlandrick; 09-14-2019 at 09:43 AM.

post #4 of 13 Old 09-14-2019, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by richlandrick View Post
Like many manufacturer's Suzuki gets a lot of their components from China. Turn signals, levers, perches, switch gear, on and on. In many obviously you can find knock offs, but in some cases it is the actual part without the ridicules mark up. I have found that to be true for turn signals, pegs, and levers.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...114078c9BFBexz
I ordered a couple of those off ebay. For $12 I guess it is worth seeing if they fit - don't doubt that they are either exactly the same or really good copies. For the rears I think I'll leave them for the moment, I suspect that I may be able to section 1/4" or so out of the stalks to suck them in just a little. Sounds like a good - I'm bored winter project.

Chuck P
2004 DL1000
2003 FZ1
www.oldjeep.com
post #5 of 13 Old 09-14-2019, 02:08 PM
Stromthusiast!

I don't know about your bike (never had one) but other bikes I have had the only difference between the front and the rear was the length of the wires.

That did require them to have different part numbers.
Gert and DesertBike like this.

Some of the 19 rides in my shed
2014 V2, Snoopy
2009 Wee, Pumbaa the pig
WR450F, The Blue Postie Bike
YZ250N smoker with rego, Stinky.
Yamaha MT09 (FZ09), The Scud missile.
Club Lead not Club Med.
He with the most toys wins.
Out of my depth in a puddle.
Live life on the edge you will see more that way.
Ridding a motorcycle keeps things in balance.
At the end of each trail and at the end of each day history is made.
post #6 of 13 Old 09-18-2019, 11:29 AM
Stromthusiast!

I have a set of Chinese cheapie copies from fleaBay. Externally they look great, but the connectors are incorrect (not a big deal, but not plug and play).

My main gripe is that the bulbs are not replaceable. The lens and housing are glued together. So that's pretty lame.

Then again, turn signal bulbs only see intermittent use so the bulbs should essentially last forever unless physically damaged. I may get bored this winter and install them, but until then I'll just try not to look at my janky beat-up stock signals propped up with duct tape. They work fine, and they have, uh, "character", anyway.
DesertBike and oldjeep like this.

2002 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom, Dark Metallic Space Blue
1983 Suzuki GS850G, Cosmic Blue
2005 KLR685, Aztec Red - Turd II.2, the ReReTurdening
post #7 of 13 Old 09-18-2019, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwringer View Post
I have a set of Chinese cheapie copies from fleaBay. Externally they look great, but the connectors are incorrect (not a big deal, but not plug and play).

My main gripe is that the bulbs are not replaceable. The lens and housing are glued together. So that's pretty lame.

Then again, turn signal bulbs only see intermittent use so the bulbs should essentially last forever unless physically damaged. I may get bored this winter and install them, but until then I'll just try not to look at my janky beat-up stock signals propped up with duct tape. They work fine, and they have, uh, "character", anyway.
The ones I bought appear to have screw off lenses, guess I'll find out when they get off the slow boat from china. Connectors are no issue, previous owner seems to have cut them off when he installed the carbonfiberish things.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (132.4 KB, 2 views)
Gert likes this.

Chuck P
2004 DL1000
2003 FZ1
www.oldjeep.com
post #8 of 13 Old 09-18-2019, 02:32 PM
Onboard Mass Damper

Garage
I did a partial replacement of my 2007 DL1000's turn signals recently. I can't view the link right now, but I'm guessing what you'll get are the same "Savage"-branded signals I bought off eBay. From the photo, it looks that way.

The Savage signals are similar to the Suzuki originals, but there are many differences. Some big, some small.

Overall, they're not as good as the Suzuki ones, and it quickly becomes obvious why they're inexpensive. The fit is poor, and the plastic is brittle, but the price is hard to beat.

Suzuki signal stalks are shaped to match the bodywork, left and right, front and rear. That's why they have 4 different part numbers.

The aftermarket signal bases are all flat. They won't sit correctly on on the bodywork without modification.

The Savage signals do not come with retaining clips, such as those found inside the Suzuki signal shells. These clips are pieces of sheetmetal that secure the shells on their stalks. The Savage signals rely entirely on the screw that holds the lens, and the internal wiring, to keep the shell from falling off the stalk.

The Suzuki lenses have a notch that sits at the bottom of the lozenge shape, at the lowest point of the shell. I suspect this is to aid drainage, or at least prevent trapping air (which could cause condensation). That's why there are different part numbers for left and right lenses.

The aftermarket signals have connectors that won't plug in to the factory harness, and a third wire. That third wire is probably intended for running light use. It almost seems as if whoever designed the atermarket signals has never seen a Vstrom up close.

Owing to the above, I mixed and matched parts, rather than install the Savage turn signals whole. I had 2 broken shells and one scraped up lens. Suzuki stalks were fine. I replaced the broken parts with the corresponding bits from the Savage signals, and kept the factory wiring.

If I drop the bike again, the Savage shells will probably shatter like the cheap plastic they are. However, they're so cheap to replace that I don't worry about it.
Gert and oldjeep like this.

2007 Vee with too many farkles
post #9 of 13 Old 09-18-2019, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertBike View Post
I did a partial replacement of my 2007 DL1000's turn signals recently. I can't view the link right now, but I'm guessing what you'll get are the same "Savage"-branded signals I bought off eBay. From the photo, it looks that way.

The Savage signals are similar to the Suzuki originals, but there are many differences. Some big, some small.

Overall, they're not as good as the Suzuki ones, and it quickly becomes obvious why they're inexpensive. The fit is poor, and the plastic is brittle, but the price is hard to beat.

Suzuki signal stalks are shaped to match the bodywork, left and right, front and rear. That's why they have 4 different part numbers.

The aftermarket signal bases are all flat. They won't sit correctly on on the bodywork without modification.

The Savage signals do not come with retaining clips, such as those found inside the Suzuki signal shells. These clips are pieces of sheetmetal that secure the shells on their stalks. The Savage signals rely entirely on the screw that holds the lens, and the internal wiring, to keep the shell from falling off the stalk.

The Suzuki lenses have a notch that sits at the bottom of the lozenge shape, at the lowest point of the shell. I suspect this is to aid drainage, or at least prevent trapping air (which could cause condensation). That's why there are different part numbers for left and right lenses.

The aftermarket signals have connectors that won't plug in to the factory harness, and a third wire. That third wire is probably intended for running light use. It almost seems as if whoever designed the atermarket signals has never seen a Vstrom up close.

Owing to the above, I mixed and matched parts, rather than install the Savage turn signals whole. I had 2 broken shells and one scraped up lens. Suzuki stalks were fine. I replaced the broken parts with the corresponding bits from the Savage signals, and kept the factory wiring.

If I drop the bike again, the Savage shells will probably shatter like the cheap plastic they are. However, they're so cheap to replace that I don't worry about it.
Good to know. Unfortunately I don't have the originals and the ones on the bike are generic stud mount things. I guess I'll see what I have to do to them when they show up - and if they suck I'll send them down the road and pony up the $50 a piece for new Suzuki ones.
DesertBike likes this.

Chuck P
2004 DL1000
2003 FZ1
www.oldjeep.com
post #10 of 13 Old 09-18-2019, 02:42 PM
Onboard Mass Damper

Garage
Depending on how pretty you want it to be, I think you could make some kind of spacers to get the aftermarket signal stalks to fit. Or carve/grind/reshape the stalk bases appropriately.

I still have the Savage stalks from when I did my work. I'll look at them later and see if any ideas occur to me.

2007 Vee with too many farkles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode