But...would still like more grunt! - Page 2 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 30 Old 09-09-2019, 09:38 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
after having spent nearly 10 years with my V and countless hours reading this forum and vsri, i was always under the impression that all the mods (save the ridiculously complicated and expensive ones) yield very little in actual HP and TQ gains.

i'm a fatass and have heavy very non-aerodynamic zega panniers and top box, and i can't think of once where i wished for more grunt. then again, i gave up my speed days when i got rid of my gpz-1100

'08 DR650, '07 DL1000
"And anyways, if they don't have motorcycles in heaven, I'd rather go to hell. I'm pretty sure they will have loads of them there." (deelip, 2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 30 Old 09-10-2019, 12:17 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Mike, the SV and generally an expert on getting power out of our engine style, has had his way with my engine. We're limited by our fuel injectors because they are smaller than TL and SV injectors and can't be replaced by anything he knew of that was larger because of our ECU. I get about 100 HP at the rear wheel. Still no match for the Multistrada! High compression pistons, SV cams, the 4 degree ignition advancer and of course a PC Fuel Controller and TRE gets you on your way to a livelier bike. Roughly $2,000. One could argue that it's not worth it and I couldn't disagree. just depends on the rider.
Then there's the gearing change. My experience with an old Strom is that 17-43 is a good compromise. Works well for two-up and luggage and now too low for highway cruising alone. Just a little more push when you want it, like up mountain highways when you're loaded down.
Big B, realshelby and Gert like this.

Last edited by bobbyvstrom; 09-10-2019 at 12:32 AM. Reason: Forgot about the gearing change.
post #13 of 30 Old 09-10-2019, 12:55 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
And then there's nitrous oxide. https://www.enginemaster.com.au/nos-...motorcycle-atv

Please, can someone try this?
Big B and Gert like this.

2010 Weestrom; 2017 Kawasaki Versys-X300; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100

post #14 of 30 Old 09-10-2019, 08:49 AM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyvstrom View Post
High compression pistons, SV cams, the 4 degree ignition advancer and of course a PC Fuel Controller and TRE gets you on your way to a livelier bike. Roughly $2,000. One could argue that it's not worth it and I couldn't disagree. just depends on the rider.
Then there's the gearing change. My experience with an old Strom is that 17-43 is a good compromise.
I wonder what you would get with just the SV cams, ignition advance, TRE? The stock DL pistons/compression would allow it to run on about any fuel and save a boatload of money over installing SV pistons. With those mods, the aftermarket exhaust might make a difference.

I have ridden with Rob, lower gearing isn't going to be much help to him..........I can't keep up solo and he has Tina on the back.......
Big B and Gert like this.

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
post #15 of 30 Old 09-10-2019, 12:59 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Realshelby, I would think the changes you suggested would have a good effect. I didn't notice much with the addition of the HC pistons. I had high hopes for them (and they are EXPENSIVE) and was disappointed. I forgot about the exhaust, which I have too. And velocity stacks. The TRE is especially handy on hills, when passing without downshifting, most anytime you use lots of power in 5th and 6th. The 4 degree advancer is cheap and helps fuel mileage too. You just have to not lug it at high throttle positions or you could get pinging. I get 43-50 mpg depending on how sporty I'm feeling. So basically, I agree with your conclusions. And it's a lot less expensive that way.
Gert likes this.
post #16 of 30 Old 09-10-2019, 02:32 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Garage
Quote:
........The 4 degree advancer is cheap and helps fuel mileage too.........
Slightly off subject but Who Offers 4 Degree Advancers???

"There comes a time in the affairs of men, when we must take the bull by the tail and face the situation."
W. C. Fields
post #17 of 30 Old 09-10-2019, 04:14 PM
Stromthusiast!

IF you want more power, then as suggested, get a different bike. It'll just be easier. If you want a little more torque, drop a tooth on the countershaft so that the power it has is more immediate. Adding mufflers is mostly going to just make it louder. If you reflash the ECU, that will help with fuel delivery and throttle response, not add power.
Slow Eddie, VSrider, Gert and 3 others like this.

'03 DL1000 - "The Vee"
Mod list - Oxford heated overgrips. Garmin GPS w/Aquabox RAM mount. Mirror extenders. Givi V35 saddlebags, engine guards, and Kappa top box. Adventure Tech fork brace, wheel spacer, sidestand foot, and peg lowering kit. Gafler braided front brake & clutch lines. K&N air filter. Pyramid Fenda Extenda. GO Cruise throttle lock. Touratech folding shift lever. Rad guard. GSXR 4 piston brakes with SV Racing brackets. Yosh timing cover. SW Motech center stand and crossbar. Eastern Beaver headlight relay. 12 O'Clock Labs Speedo DRD. Werks clutch basket. Corbin seat.
post #18 of 30 Old 09-10-2019, 06:22 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy View Post
I got mine at Factory Pro (factorypro.com) They are $100.
post #19 of 30 Old 09-10-2019, 06:33 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy View Post
Quote:
I got mine at Factory Pro (factorypro.com) They are $100.
Many Thanks!!!

"There comes a time in the affairs of men, when we must take the bull by the tail and face the situation."
W. C. Fields
post #20 of 30 Old 09-10-2019, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Jackman View Post
IF you want more power, then as suggested, get a different bike. It'll just be easier. If you want a little more torque, drop a tooth on the countershaft so that the power it has is more immediate. Adding mufflers is mostly going to just make it louder. If you reflash the ECU, that will help with fuel delivery and throttle response, not add power.
As far as I know there are no Vee's that have been flashed. No data or charts to compare.

2012 DL1000 Adventure (Tinkerbell)
PC-V, TRE, CR8EIX , ECM, K&N, RDL, PR4, PC-8, EB H4, WERKS, Madstad 22", 17/43 gearing, [COLOR="Navy"]AdventureTech: Fork brace, shelf, mirror extenders, SpeedoDRD, wheel spacer, Head's-Up voltage monitor, [/COLOR]Goldwing pegs, Sonic 1.1, Wolo Bad Boy, ExTuff Helmet Hook.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode