Misfire at 2600rpm - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

3Likes
  • 1 Post By PeteW
  • 2 Post By bobbyvstrom

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 09-04-2019, 06:41 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Misfire at 2600rpm

Hi folks
Right......bought my second Vstrom 1000 w months ago and done 400km over 2 trips due to a misfire. The rest the time it’s been at the local Suzuki shop on behalf of the Honda dealer I bought it off in Auckland which is 120km away from me.
I bought a used 2011 from Honda With 48000km. From the first ride I took it had a small intermittent misfire at 2500-2600rpm in 3rd gear which is 50 kph and the same at 70kph in 4th. It’s on one cylinder only when the throttle is held dead still to keep that speed that it starts to miss. It is a distinctive sharp miss and as it happens one can distinctly hear a “click” or a “ticking” sound like the cam or lifter or valve gets a kick due to the misfire. The bike’s cold starts perfectly, idles mint at 1300rpm(was 1000 but Suzuki in Town that looked at it on behalf of the Honda shop I bought it from)raised it saying it was too low).
The first ride I took it was back firming through the inlet with loud popping back through the intake and this was sorted by balancing the throttle bodies of which one was almost blown off.
The bike runs really well in every other rpm range other than steady at 2500/2600 rpm. Suzuki couldn’t get it to do the misfire at first but taking it back a second time it was then felt but no one including Honda In the city can get it sorted.
I bought it on the 29/6 and did 2 short trips(320km) since buying it and the rest of the time it’s been between Suzuki and Honda. On the One trip I was at 80 and started to pass a few cars when one cylinder completely broke down for 2/3 secs as I was in the opposite lane.......that was interesting to say the least.
I still don’t have it back and am so disappointed as this is the second DL1000 I have owned and know them well and love them.
But the misfire, which I am certain is electrical, is still there. Not sure if the ecu is faulty as the later models had a recalled from 2013 onwards.

Any wizards out there with any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-04-2019, 08:13 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Clean out the plug drain holes on the sides of the jugs, compressed air is good for that. Push all the plug caps back on.

Doubt it's an ECU problem, coil, bad plug boot, water collected in one spark plug well. (Which is why above).
Gert likes this.
post #3 of 8 Old 09-05-2019, 04:22 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Has the TPS been ruled out? A search of this site will provide the best gen1 Vee rpm setting for the TPS.

post #4 of 8 Old 09-10-2019, 05:43 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Any one think this could be the ECU?
post #5 of 8 Old 09-10-2019, 06:08 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Nope. Not at fixed rpm .

O.K. it COULD be running really lean through that rev. range but that's not needs a new ECU territory, would just need a dealer to remap it slightly.
post #6 of 8 Old 09-10-2019, 07:28 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
My bike was like this till I went 2.5% rich on the idle with the Yosh box.
post #7 of 8 Old 09-10-2019, 01:17 PM
Stromthusiast!

The gen 1 Vees tend to run lean at low RPM and above idle. Mine made me crazy because I couldn't cruise smoothly at 3000 to 3600 RPM on back roads. Getting the ECU flashed, as another Trooper suggested, is the remedy for that, or getting a PCFC installed and tuned to your bike. It can be smooth as a baby's bottom after that, if the mixture is just too lean.
If you are riding along at around 2,500 and give it some throttle, will it pick up smoothly? If so, it's likely mixture.
Gert and Rides like this.
post #8 of 8 Old 09-12-2019, 06:33 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Air leaks?

Odd for one cylinder to do it. I assume you/they have checked for air leaks on the intake of that cylinder. At low revs and light power loads the injectors aren't flowing much fuel. A slightly-dirty injector might cause a misfire. So some injector cleaner might be a good idea, just to rule that out. Possibly you have carbon buildup in that cylinder, making it more octane sensitive. Does the sparkplug look unusual?

Frankly, I rarely run my engine below 3000 RPM except when starting out. These are not 'cruiser' engines with massive displacement. Let it rev a bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode