Intermittent miss/stall issue - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 09-03-2019, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Intermittent miss/stall issue

Hello, new for forum here but really been enjoying my Vstrom.
It's a 2011 1000 Vstrom with 30,000 Km which has ran perfect since I bought it at 6000km. On a longer road trip it did something very weird, and I'm not sure what to look at and am hoping for some tips. Here are the details:

-stopped to top up fuel, idling perfect waiting for pump (1300 rpm).
-filled tank and then restarted it, stalled immediately.
-kept stalling, needed to keep revs at 3000 to keep it running
-took it briefly on the highway to see if that would "clear it out". Seemed ok on highway rpms.
-idled then but with a lot of missing and some stalls for the next 10 minutes
-stopped it for a couple minutes looked under seat at power commander and restarted it
-restarted ran 100% perfect - continued to run perfect for 500km
-noticed on 2-3 other occasions over the next 1000km at an idle some very minor missing
-last day on road (600 km) it never missed a beat - perfect again. Everything normal.

Any ideas what that could be, or what I could check?
I did put new iridium plugs/air filter in about 1000km before issue.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-04-2019, 04:18 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

It sounds like dirty / contaminated fuel. I would suggest that you do a fuel flow test (https://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php/topic,3981.0.html) and if OK, to check the fuel for any water / contamination, by leaving the pumped fuel stand for a few minutes. Any water or dirt in the fuel will separate and show up, however slight, so have a careful look.
post #3 of 9 Old 09-05-2019, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Thanks for the tip, and the link to the test.

I did the quick test and it put out a higher volume than specified, and fuel looked very clean. I also pulled the pump out of tank and inspected the prefilter/sump area. All of that looked very clean as well. It could have been water working its way through and there isn't any left, but seemed odd how quickly it went from constant stalling to idling perfect by a restart.

Any other ideas?

post #4 of 9 Old 09-05-2019, 04:51 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Sometimes the injectors may get a bit of dirt, enough to mess with their spray patten. Other than that, the front plug drainage is known to block and when riding is damp or rainy weather the front plug shorts out, https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl1000-...g-vee-bad.html.
post #5 of 9 Old 09-05-2019, 02:03 PM
$tromtrooper

If you got some bad fuel(w/water), it is heavier than gas and goes right to the bottom of the tank. The pump is in the lowest part of the tank, so its picked up right away. Most is probably gone now.
Drain the tank and replace the fuel or put in a additive like Heet. All should be fine then.
Did you get the gas a major station or a small independent. Mojor stations have a faster turnover and less problems

DL-1000 L8
DL-650 K5 red(122K)
09 DRZ400
The thrill of living should never be traded
for the safety of existence.
Member of the 100,000 mile club.
post #6 of 9 Old 09-06-2019, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

It definitely could have been water in the fuel. Was a reasonably busy station but who knows. I did drain the tank and clean the sump. Good to know everything is clean regardless so glad I did that regardless.

I did find a post of someone describing very close to the same issues that happened a couple times a year that they eventually figured out was a TPS so I ordered one just in case. Not sure if that makes sense but if it does show up again I'll have something else to try.

Intermittent problems seem to be my nemesis on other vehicles, hopefully this is not an ongoing one. Thanks for replying, I really appreciate the help.
post #7 of 9 Old 09-07-2019, 03:45 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

For a look at a few pix of the internals of a TPS, https://www.sportbikes.net/forums/fz...ml#post2105110, see posts #366 - #368. If you have the spare time, the complete thread also makes interesting reading.
post #8 of 9 Old 11-11-2019, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Just a follow up for others. I changed out the speed throttle position sensor. No issues since then (3000 km). Not conclusive, but at one point while adjusting the new sensor the motor behaved exactly the same way as I had experienced on the road - so I believe this was it, hoping it doesn't come back. And wow, that angle is very tricky to get set just right!
post #9 of 9 Old 11-13-2019, 12:51 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by North35 View Post
Just a follow up for others. I changed out the speed throttle position sensor. No issues since then (3000 km). Not conclusive, but at one point while adjusting the new sensor the motor behaved exactly the same way as I had experienced on the road - so I believe this was it, hoping it doesn't come back. And wow, that angle is very tricky to get set just right!
This is more like what I was thinking. I couldn't see one tank of poor fuel causing intermittent issues for 2000 kms.

Anything can happen in Formula 1 and usually does! - Murray Walker

Here - 2002 V-Strom DL1000, 1999 Triumph Trophy 900, 2003 Maxima SE 6-Speed, 1997 Silverado K2500 - 454
Slovakia - 2004 Rover 75 CDT Tourer w/ Tuning Box
Past - 1977 Honda 400/4 Supersport, 1982 Honda CB900 Custom, 1984 Honda V65 Sabre (TWICE), 1996 Kawi GPz1100, 1990 Honda VFR750F
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode