StromTrooper banner

Why?

3K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  Webfors 
#1 ·
Every time I ride this bike I love it more. I am not sure why. This DL1000 makes more clicks and pops and whistles and whizzes than any other bike I have ridden, yet? Each ride gets better and better. Damn you, Suzuki! LOL

#3 ·
I know what you mean. Just had my bike at the shop for new tires and the mechanic - a racer that runs a shop so he can race - commented the bike made a strange sound under moderate acceleration and I should try to isolate it. I rode the bike home and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary for me. Then I hit my gravel road - which is in its washboard phase - and thought the bike was coming apart. I got home and went around the bike and there are all sorts of panels that rattle about, plus the GIVI bags. It's just gonna be a noisy bike, but I do love the thing for some reason.

Oh, and my new Mitas E07+'s? They feel massively more secure riding on the gravel road to my house and they feel smooth as a road tire and well planted on pavement. I have no vibration issue at any speed so far. Ok, with tires that are good on everything you ride on, you know there has to be a downside and its noise! The tires scream like a raped ape. The front howls under braking and they both sing at highway speed. Ah well, I guess its the price you pay. I'll just make earplugs part of the routine and they'll help with all the other noises as well. lol Maybe with some wear they will quite down a tad. Fingers crossed.

#6 ·
My 2002 Vee is in that weird stage of life where it works really, really, REALLY well, stone reliable, perfectly set up for me, incredibly useful and capable, comfortable, sporty, huge cargo capacity, but it looks kinda crappy and scratched, has a lot of miles, and is worth just about diddly/squat.

Guess I might as well just keep riding it. ;)

The one thing that will get me to upgrade to a newer bike soon is ABS. It's a must-have.

#8 ·
Looking for a possible replacement for my 06 V and Lean sensitive ABS really has my attention .Problem is I've just gone through the midlife repairs on the V ( Stator , TPS ETC ) and it's running great . Must come up with a good argument for replacement over the winter .

#13 ·
Brockie, The bike came with Heidenau K60's I guess? They were a little past their prime and hardened up. (it was in storage for three years I was told) so they were a bit squirelly on the road. I switched to Continental Trail Attacks, just because I spend more time on road than off. But even the knobbies were not fun in the gravel.

#15 ·
What dirt experience do you have? I'm going to suggest that the Vee is even more top heavy and inappropriate in gravel and on soft surfaces than the 650 and needs a fair amount of experience and confidence to manage. Allowing the bike to move about a little beneath you is part of that. Even worn Heidenau K60's should give you an advantage.

It is possible to accomplish amazing things with a V-Strom, but that's not for everyone. At its heart the standard V-Strom is a tarted up touring bike tenuously linked to the "adventure" label. I suggest that you start on known "easy" unsealed roads and work up as your experience and confidence grows.

#18 ·
The 1000 is a strange beast... I don't have a lot of experience with her yet, but I am addicted to the power and brakes. I have full confidence when pushing it.

She ain't no 650, that's for sure. That bike was buttery smooth.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.