Why? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 08-28-2019, 04:55 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Why?

Every time I ride this bike I love it more. I am not sure why. This DL1000 makes more clicks and pops and whistles and whizzes than any other bike I have ridden, yet? Each ride gets better and better. Damn you, Suzuki! LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 08-28-2019, 07:50 AM
$tromtrooper

Garage
Stockholm syndrome?

Chuck P
2004 DL1000
2003 FZ1
www.oldjeep.com
post #3 of 18 Old 08-28-2019, 09:10 AM
Stromthusiast!

I know what you mean. Just had my bike at the shop for new tires and the mechanic - a racer that runs a shop so he can race - commented the bike made a strange sound under moderate acceleration and I should try to isolate it. I rode the bike home and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary for me. Then I hit my gravel road - which is in its washboard phase - and thought the bike was coming apart. I got home and went around the bike and there are all sorts of panels that rattle about, plus the GIVI bags. It's just gonna be a noisy bike, but I do love the thing for some reason.

Oh, and my new Mitas E07+'s? They feel massively more secure riding on the gravel road to my house and they feel smooth as a road tire and well planted on pavement. I have no vibration issue at any speed so far. Ok, with tires that are good on everything you ride on, you know there has to be a downside and its noise! The tires scream like a raped ape. The front howls under braking and they both sing at highway speed. Ah well, I guess its the price you pay. I'll just make earplugs part of the routine and they'll help with all the other noises as well. lol Maybe with some wear they will quite down a tad. Fingers crossed.
Dan Wall likes this.

post #4 of 18 Old 08-28-2019, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Hopefully you'll still feel that way when the "typical 1000 issues" start to occur......I am rooting for ya though.
Webfors and Dan Wall like this.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #5 of 18 Old 08-28-2019, 05:16 PM
Stromthusiast!

I've had my '06 1000 for 11 years or so now. Still love it. I just sat on a bunch of bikes at a good size dealership yesterday and still love my Strom. I check out the new bikes all the time and for one reason or many, they don't make the cut.
Gert, Webfors, Rides and 1 others like this.
post #6 of 18 Old 08-28-2019, 05:28 PM
Stromthusiast!

My 2002 Vee is in that weird stage of life where it works really, really, REALLY well, stone reliable, perfectly set up for me, incredibly useful and capable, comfortable, sporty, huge cargo capacity, but it looks kinda crappy and scratched, has a lot of miles, and is worth just about diddly/squat.

Guess I might as well just keep riding it.

The one thing that will get me to upgrade to a newer bike soon is ABS. It's a must-have.
Big B, bobbyvstrom, Gert and 6 others like this.

2002 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom, Dark Metallic Space Blue
1983 Suzuki GS850G, Cosmic Blue
2005 KLR685, Aztec Red - Turd II.2, the ReReTurdening
post #7 of 18 Old 08-29-2019, 01:40 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
A while back I added a Kawasaki Versys to my garage. My first bike with ABS. The only thing is that I have never activated it so far. I guess that 50 years of riding without ABS must be the reason. Never mind - one day I may need it.
RLBranson and Dan Wall like this.

2010 Weestrom; 2017 Kawasaki Versys-X300; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100
post #8 of 18 Old 08-29-2019, 08:34 AM
Stromthusiast!

Looking for a possible replacement for my 06 V and Lean sensitive ABS really has my attention .Problem is I've just gone through the midlife repairs on the V ( Stator , TPS ETC ) and it's running great . Must come up with a good argument for replacement over the winter .
post #9 of 18 Old 09-01-2019, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I never, really feel comfortable on gravel. I love plain old dirt, but gravel? Not so much.
post #10 of 18 Old 09-01-2019, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Wall View Post
I never, really feel comfortable on gravel. I love plain old dirt, but gravel? Not so much.
Tyres, tyres, tyres. Try some 50/50 tyres like the Mitas E-07's I have on my DL650. Far superior to my OEM Trailwings which were unstable on gravel - always slipping sideways and feeling insecure.
You won't believe the difference.
Big B, bwringer, Gert and 2 others like this.

2010 Weestrom; 2017 Kawasaki Versys-X300; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode