Front suspension clunk/wander! - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 08-26-2019, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Front suspension clunk/wander!

So today I really started to notice that my bike wanders or weaves down the road and if I let go of the handle bars they shake.

So I started to check stuff and the steering head bearings seems in excellent shape, the front wheel bearing is also tight and smooth.

When I hold the front brake and shove the forks down they clunk, see this video. The camera makes it sound way louder and worse than it sounds from the driver seat.

Also the front nose dives hard when I brake and feels extremely soft, I come from naked sport bikes so maybe this adventure bike suspension is supposed to be softer but its SOFT. Pre-load is one notch from all the way tight I believe if the screw heads on top of the forks are all the way down/in for tighter pre-load.

Do I have a broken spring or something?

Also the front tire is slightly weather cracked in the grooves and the tread is uneven, where ever there is a tread groove the outside part is lower than the inside, I tried to take a pic to show it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190826_161858.jpg (231.7 KB, 11 views)

2007 Kawasaki KLR650 (Sold)
2007 Yamaha FZ6 (Sold)
2006 Yamaha FZ1 (Sold)
2003 Honda 919 (Sold)
2012 Suzuki V-Strom 1000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-26-2019, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
So I talked with a local suspension shop and he said that while its not impossible it is much more likely that its either the caliper or floating rotors.

2007 Yamaha FZ6 (Sold)
2006 Yamaha FZ1 (Sold)
2003 Honda 919 (Sold)
2012 Suzuki V-Strom 1000
post #3 of 11 Old 08-26-2019, 10:32 PM
Stromthusiast!

What causes the hard nose dive? I have the same thing. Rode for years, but this bike (new to me) is putting me through my paces!

post #4 of 11 Old 08-26-2019, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by She-Strom View Post
What causes the hard nose dive? I have the same thing. Rode for years, but this bike (new to me) is putting me through my paces!
Basically I am 260 lbs and the bike is sprung for a much much lighter rider, combine that with oil that is probably 30k old. It just needs to be sprung for me and some fresh oil.
richlandrick and Hard miles like this.

2007 Yamaha FZ6 (Sold)
2006 Yamaha FZ1 (Sold)
2003 Honda 919 (Sold)
2012 Suzuki V-Strom 1000
post #5 of 11 Old 08-26-2019, 10:52 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

I would first check the head baring. It's likely loos or worn out. Most of them are loose and then they tend to make noise rocking within the play they have. Google head baring stromtrooper and you will find plenty threads about it.

…....
Blau1 2004 DL650-sold
Blau2 2014 DL1000A
post #6 of 11 Old 08-26-2019, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaustrom View Post
I would first check the head baring. It's likely loos or worn out. Most of them are loose and then they tend to make noise rocking within the play they have. Google head baring stromtrooper and you will find plenty threads about it.
Mine is tight, no play or notchiness

2007 Yamaha FZ6 (Sold)
2006 Yamaha FZ1 (Sold)
2003 Honda 919 (Sold)
2012 Suzuki V-Strom 1000
post #7 of 11 Old 08-27-2019, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delasangre View Post
Mine is tight, no play or notchiness
How do you KNOW it is tight, did you actually check it internally? Mine wasn't notchy or loose feeling either, yet when I actually checked them the lower main bearing locking collar was finger loose. My weave/wobble got better after I tightened mine, but it was most certainly still there. I installed tapered roller bearings, now I cannot induce a wobble/weave no matter how hard I try or how I am loaded up. So no.....you do not know they are good, this is a pretty popular upgrade on these bikes as well.

Replace your tires first and foremost as they do weird things, and yes the suspension only has .65kg springs and is extremely undersprung, plus your fork oil is likely trashed as well.
blaustrom likes this.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #8 of 11 Old 08-27-2019, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B View Post
How do you KNOW it is tight, did you actually check it internally? Mine wasn't notchy or loose feeling either, yet when I actually checked them the lower main bearing locking collar was finger loose. My weave/wobble got better after I tightened mine, but it was most certainly still there. I installed tapered roller bearings, now I cannot induce a wobble/weave no matter how hard I try or how I am loaded up. So no.....you do not know they are good, this is a pretty popular upgrade on these bikes as well.

Replace your tires first and foremost as they do weird things, and yes the suspension only has .65kg springs and is extremely undersprung, plus your fork oil is likely trashed as well.
Correction: I cannot feel any play or slop in them by hand. I suppose this doesn't mean for sure they are good. I'm going to be doing wheel bearings so I might as well do the taper bearings too.
post #9 of 11 Old 08-27-2019, 01:09 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delasangre View Post
Correction: I cannot feel any play or slop in them by hand. I suppose this doesn't mean for sure they are good. I'm going to be doing wheel bearings so I might as well do the taper bearings too.
Its a very worthwhile "upgrade", not so easy to do....but the rewards and benefits are worth it IMHO.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #10 of 11 Old 08-27-2019, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B View Post
Its a very worthwhile "upgrade", not so easy to do....but the rewards and benefits are worth it IMHO.
Planning to do front and rear wheel bearings and the head bearings, as well as the clutch basket and maybe even the rear sprocket spacer mod if it needs it.
Big B likes this.

2007 Yamaha FZ6 (Sold)
2006 Yamaha FZ1 (Sold)
2003 Honda 919 (Sold)
2012 Suzuki V-Strom 1000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode