Stuff to loctite - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old 08-26-2019, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Stuff to loctite

As I have been humble bragging around the site for the last bit, I'm doing a big trip over september with lots of offroad. I'm planning to spend a night this week blue loctiting everything I can think of on the bike to avoid any bolts rattling out.

Does anyone have a list of things they loctite, or can mention some stuff I might miss?

2003 DL1000
Too much other broken stuff to list
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 08-26-2019, 04:48 PM
Stromthusiast!

Believe it or not on my last off road run the small phillips screw holding the right stock handguard worked itís way out. Actually found it between the seat and the tank. Go figure.. Now I check that all handguard securement is tight...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DesertBike likes this.
post #3 of 28 Old 08-26-2019, 09:59 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

With so many sob stories about the hazards of locktite, I'd suggest not using it and simply making sure your fasteners are tight. With 100K miles on my Wee, I'm not having things come loose or free and I don't use no stinking Locktite.
If you are hell bent on using the stuff, use the right color of 'tite' for the purpose.
Nah, find the one that hardens the best and use that everywhere!

post #4 of 28 Old 08-27-2019, 12:43 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
The only thing that has come loose on my V-Strom is the chain guard, and that is apparently quite common. Use some blue loctite there, and maybe the front guard.
Unless you have some good reason to doubt a particular area, just go over the bike twisting anything you can see by hand. Anything that is loose will become apparent. Some have reported issues with the fuel tank fasteners, but generally things falling off during a ride is unusual.
It is not a good practice to repeatedly re-tighten bolts as anything tightened correctly may then become stretched and fail.

BTW I once took a 7 day trip with friends and they invited along a friend riding a HD Sporty. Now there's a bike in need of Loctite. He had an indicator fall off and hang by the wire, problems with the headlight and instrument area bolts, the seat, and the battery box coming loose and almost dropping out. On the 3rd day I needed to duct tape a lump of truck tyre rubber that I found by the side of the road onto the 3/4" rod from which an HD rubber footrest had slid off, bouncing down the road and over a fence. We never did find it, and so I rigged up a replacement. Those HD's used a sort of handlebar grip as a footrest rubber, just like Brit bikes used to have (and 1960's Japanese bikes).
In the end he was asking them not to say anything to me about the tools quietly coming out at the end of each day.

Just go over your bike - particularly after the first day. As well as basic tools (mostly the OEM toolkit) and a Leatherman tool I also carry a puncture repair kit, a mini plug in pump, duct tape, zip ties, and tie wire. I run a Tutoro oiler which does away with the need to carry chain lube.
vanislejay likes this.

2010 Weestrom; 2017 Kawasaki Versys-X300; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100
post #5 of 28 Old 08-27-2019, 01:16 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Brokie, that HD story sounds like my '55 Ariel Huntmaster. Beautiful bike to polish but a fall apart shaker in its' own right.
post #6 of 28 Old 08-27-2019, 03:20 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

How long have you had the bike? Unless its brand-new whatever fasteners that have worked loose have already done so. I'd give the bike a quick one over and see if any fasteners are loose deal with them. Most likely if the bike has some miles on it you'll not find anything loose.

I just got back from a Pennsylvania to Quebec to Labrador to Newfoundland to Nova Scotia/New Brunswick and back home. 3,941 miles and all the fasteners that were on the bike when I left are still there and at the same tightness.

Blue Loctite is good as is Purple deindexing on the fastener size. Whatever you do, do not Loctite anything that touches Lexan like windscreen bolts. Loctite and Lexan do not agree with one another.
vanislejay likes this.
post #7 of 28 Old 08-27-2019, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

The bike has over 60,000 miles on it, and I have a good ear for rattles etc. I'm doing two of the BDRs out west and that is probably at lkeast doubling the amount of offroad this bike has ever seen. I did about 500 miles of gravel last summer and nothing fell off, so I'm probably ok. I'll just keep an eye on everything, and check it each day and before I go. I've just been watching you-tube vids and ride reports of people's bikes falling apart on the COBDR.

2003 DL1000
post #8 of 28 Old 08-27-2019, 05:01 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

The two 8mm bolts (12mm heads) holding the front fairing support to the frame are the only common ones I can think of that loosen on V-Stroms.

The chain guard, too. On my bike, the threads in the swingarm were just too chowdered, so I ended up installing a longer screw with a nylock nut on the other side.

Double-check the various fairing fasteners before you leave, and I think you'll be fine.
DesertBike likes this.

2002 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom, Dark Metallic Space Blue
1983 Suzuki GS850G, Cosmic Blue
2005 KLR685, Aztec Red - Turd II.2, the ReReTurdening
post #9 of 28 Old 08-27-2019, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwringer View Post
The two 8mm bolts (12mm heads) holding the front fairing support to the frame are the only common ones I can think of that loosen on V-Stroms.

The chain guard, too. On my bike, the threads in the swingarm were just too chowdered, so I ended up installing a longer screw with a nylock nut on the other side.

Double-check the various fairing fasteners before you leave, and I think you'll be fine.
Oh yeah, my chain guard was repaired a couple times and then eventually fell off and got chewed up so I just left it off. No worries on that ever again, just dirty pants and inner fender when I use a non sticky lube.

2003 DL1000

Last edited by vanislejay; 08-27-2019 at 05:32 PM.
post #10 of 28 Old 08-28-2019, 12:50 AM
$tromtrooper

Only things to come loose on mine in over 200000kms is the chain guard and the bar weights. Nothing fell off.

Don't worry too much about it.

DL1000K6 Two wheels good; four wheels bad.
DRZ400SK17
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode