salvage? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 08-25-2019, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

salvage?

Heya people, I have an option to trade my 1999 jeep grand cherokee that is low miles but not well maintained ie-some broken plastic tires, one window needs help,broken headlights, grill, tail light , windshield, needs tires and shocks, etc, but great driveline 96k, qd 4.7 and runs and shifts perfectly ,,, for a 2002 v-strom with a salvage title. Talked with the owner and he said the forks were bent but nothing else was damaged, replaced the tubes (bent right at tube), low miles and clutch upgrade, straight across, what should I look for? Any tips on where to see other head/triple tree damage? He seems to know what he's talking about in repairing it. catching a lot of no's coming from my local bike forum, any v-strom specific concerns?

anyhow, thanks

jm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 08-25-2019, 05:16 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

I don't know how it is where you live but around here a salvage title really, really, really reduces the value of a motor vehicle.

I'd keep the Jeep.
prepper likes this.
post #3 of 18 Old 08-25-2019, 06:55 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBranson View Post
I don't know how it is where you live but around here a salvage title really, really, really reduces the value of a motor vehicle.

I'd keep the Jeep.
A 2002 vstrom is worth under 2k. I wouldn't worry about a salvage title reducing it much.
John V Strom, Jr. and prepper like this.

Chuck P
2004 DL1000
2003 FZ1
www.oldjeep.com

post #4 of 18 Old 08-25-2019, 07:09 PM
Stromthusiast!

Like RLBranson said, resale takes a hit with anything branded as salvage. To the OP, you didn't state where you are, so given Jeep is involved, I assume the Americas. How much do you think you could get by selling the Jeep outright? You could compare that to what a non-salvage Strom sells for. With hunting season coming up in the US (not sure how it would apply to other countries), you could probably get a little more for it as a dear lease truck. Does the bike have any extras included? Crash bars, luggage, etc? Is it currently being ridden on a fairly frequent basis? I would also look at when it was totaled. Just pulling numbers out of the air here, but if it was wrecked as say a 15 year old bike valued at only $2k, then it would not take much to declare the bike as a loss. If, however, it was totaled when it was fairly new and still had a substantial value to it, then I would look at more than just the forks being damaged. Any chance of getting the insurance report on the damages? The bike may very well be fine with nothing to worry about. I would just keep in mind that it's a 17 YO bike with a salvage title, so you may have to almost give it away when you decide to sell later on.
prepper likes this.
post #5 of 18 Old 08-25-2019, 09:50 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

i got a salvage from a fellow member and spent a bit more for new fork tubes. I got to DMV and have it in my name but need more paper work to get it on the road.
Salvage means the INS Co wrote it off. It doesn't mean that the bike is trash.
Yah, a lot of folks put a bad connotation on a salvage and it isn't going to bring high bucks unless heavily customized and a award winner.
Heck my original Wee survived a big time wipe out and has just passed 100K miles. How much is a rattle can paint job 100K mile Wee worth? A heck of a lot more than folks would offer...to me.
Actually your Cherokee sounds like something my wife's uncle had back East on the family property. Couldn't pass state sAFETY test so it hauls logs on the plot. It should have been buried a long time ago.
OydnaR and prepper like this.
post #6 of 18 Old 08-26-2019, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by notacop View Post
i got a salvage from a fellow member and spent a bit more for new fork tubes. I got to DMV and have it in my name but need more paper work to get it on the road.
Salvage means the INS Co wrote it off. It doesn't mean that the bike is trash.
Yah, a lot of folks put a bad connotation on a salvage and it isn't going to bring high bucks unless heavily customized and a award winner.
Heck my original Wee survived a big time wipe out and has just passed 100K miles. How much is a rattle can paint job 100K mile Wee worth? A heck of a lot more than folks would offer...to me.
Actually your Cherokee sounds like something my wife's uncle had back East on the family property. Couldn't pass state sAFETY test so it hauls logs on the plot. It should have been buried a long time ago.
heya notacop, it's a good platform, just a bunch of little fix-me's,,, the nice thing about the wee is the 16k miles it has. But now that makes me think it mustve been salvages earlier in its life ,,,hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houstrom46* View Post
Like RLBranson said, resale takes a hit with anything branded as salvage. To the OP, you didn't state where you are, so given Jeep is involved, I assume the Americas. How much do you think you could get by selling the Jeep outright? You could compare that to what a non-salvage Strom sells for. With hunting season coming up in the US (not sure how it would apply to other countries), you could probably get a little more for it as a dear lease truck. Does the bike have any extras included? Crash bars, luggage, etc? Is it currently being ridden on a fairly frequent basis? I would also look at when it was totaled. Just pulling numbers out of the air here, but if it was wrecked as say a 15 year old bike valued at only $2k, then it would not take much to declare the bike as a loss. If, however, it was totaled when it was fairly new and still had a substantial value to it, then I would look at more than just the forks being damaged. Any chance of getting the insurance report on the damages? The bike may very well be fine with nothing to worry about. I would just keep in mind that it's a 17 YO bike with a salvage title, so you may have to almost give it away when you decide to sell later on.
Houstrom, the bike was bought within the last 2-3 years and "re-built" with new tubes, original rims etc, looks to be original paint, no other damage. But the low milage (16k) makes me think it must've been salvaged earlier in its life. Yeah, I'm in CO and I need to get rid of the jeep now, could prob get more with some patience. but you know,,,
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjeep View Post
A 2002 vstrom is worth under 2k. I wouldn't worry about a salvage title reducing it much.
my thinking oldjeep, its value to me in this case is from something I cant use to something I can,,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBranson View Post

I'd keep the Jeep.
RL, thanks for the reply, not much value there to be affected,,,

thanks all, for the needed clarity,,, i think, clear as mud!lol,,,,

jm
post #7 of 18 Old 08-27-2019, 12:16 AM
$tromtrooper

An '02 is worth next to nothing, salvage or not.

All that matters is do you want it.

Low mileage makes it kind-of-sort-of newish but not resaleable, esp as a salvage. If you don't plan to sell it, it doesn't matter. Probably all the seals are dried out from lack of use. Might need some cash thrown at it.
Big B, Larry33319, Motor7 and 2 others like this.

DL1000K6 Two wheels good; four wheels bad.
DRZ400SK17
post #8 of 18 Old 08-27-2019, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Were it any model year 650 it would be a no brainer, but a first gen 1000........nope nada never.
Motor7 and prepper like this.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #9 of 18 Old 08-27-2019, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B View Post
Were it any model year 650 it would be a no brainer, but a first gen 1000........nope nada never.

Why? Can you please elaborate,,, thanks
post #10 of 18 Old 08-27-2019, 10:13 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by notacop View Post
HA!! I had a '98 Cherokee 4.0 5spd. with estimate of $3k to pass inspection, it is now playing tractor on a buddy's woodlot

To the OP, which do you want to have more, they are both turds
notacop, Coach23101 and prepper like this.

IBA#9560
Copyright (c) 2019

Last edited by OydnaR; 08-27-2019 at 10:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode