StromTrooper banner

Chudder vibration?

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Big B 
#1 ·
Hey folks. Just bought this 2006 Vee and am trying to get a feel for what's considered normal and what's not. I've had a 2008 wee for a few years and found the engine to be very smooth. This Vee on the other hand, besides having a clear case of clutch chudder (which I am going to fix with the Werks basket when I get the time), it also has some pretty good vibration throughout the rpm range, especially at high rpm. I thought it was tire balance, but it's not. It's engine...when I pull the clutch in at speed, it stops. So, what I'm wondering is, can the clutch problem cause high rpm vibration? I was talking to Terry at Werks about it and he suggested the possibility that it's the stator magnets but I'm getting good voltage output. I haven't actually looked at them yet. The third option is that it's normal. Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Bob

#2 ·
For the record, there are two types of vibration that a worn clutch basket can have. Chudder, the vibrations under acceleration from 2500-4000 rpm, is caused by the inner plate the clutch basket springs push against being loose. These clutch baskets also wear the main bearing into an egg shape. This causes the clutch basket to orbit the transmission shaft off center and putting the assembly out of balance. That can cause a higher rpm vibration.

Migrated rotor magnets put the rotor out of balance. It doesn't need all of them out of place to make that happen. Voltage output may seem normal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.