StromTrooper banner

Coolant

3K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  gdrew 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I just got my 2012 V a few weeks ago. After 600 ish miles under my belt and 30k on the bike I'm planning to do the Werks Clutch basket shortly. I was curious what coolant everyone runs? Does normal antifreeze work in a bike or do I need something special?

#2 · (Edited)
Use a silicate free coolant. I use Honda type 2 in my bikes. It is pricey. I'm sure someone will have an alternative. If you buy coolant that is not 50/50 premixed, be sure to use distilled water when mixing it yourself. Tap water can contain minerals that you don't need in your cooling system.

#4 ·
Yup. Normal stuff.

Believe it or not, motorcycle engines are not made from Ming metal and unicorn foreskins. They're made from the exact same stuff and the antifreeze faces the exact same temperatures and conditions as every four-wheeled vehicle.

To be specific, I usually use Prestone Extended life. It's in the yellow bottle in premixed and mix-it-yerdamself flavors. Cheap-ish, available absolutely everywhere, and meets all the "silicate-free" and "other stuff-free" specs. The one downside is that it's a pale yellow, so you have to find a flashlight and squint for an extra half second to see the stuff in the reservoir.

Or if you hate money, you could cough up $45 for a few quarts of the Official Suzuki greenish blue juice. It's a cool color, anyway.

Drain and refill every two years or so, and you're golden.

#5 ·
To my mind the main thing is if you don't know what is in there you need to rinse out your system well before putting in what ever you decide on. Mixing different types of coolant can cause a gel to form in your engine. Some additives in one brand can degrade corrosion control when mixed with another brand and corrosion can be accelerated. I bought my bike new and it had Suzuki 5 year coolant in it. After 5 years I drained, filled with distilled water, ran it for 10 minutes and drained it out. Refilled with Suzuki 5 year coolant. It was cheaper than name brand motor cycle oil. And lasts a lot longer than oil.

#6 ·
Honda Juice too. (That's a pun, as well). I priced it at local Honda car dealerships - it ranged from 29.95 down to 19.95, and the last was the closest dealer to my house. So, call around before you buy.

Anti freeze has corrosion inhibitors in it and they only last so long, A-F is not permanent. Honda says to change it every two years (as well as brake fluid), Suzi has their 5 year version. Do NOT think the stuff lasts forever. We won't discuss how I know this.

#7 · (Edited)
I use Honda green silicate free for cars. Left over from my Honda car days. Full strength...cause I got math skills :nerd::wink2:and can do the 50:50 thing.

In my cars, which are all Toyotas now, I use yota red.

I do not waste my time doing 2 year change outs. I test my antifreeze with a pH meter :nerd: and replace it when the pH starts to drop. No flush, I just dump what comes out with a hot engine drain and refill 50:50. Antifreeze does not wear out, the anti-corrosion additives slowly get used up and the pH drops. pH is what keeps your coolant system from starting a galvanic reaction and eating the aluminum. You can also do a volt meter test :nerd: to check coolant (see you tube). I find this method just as accurate.

I go 4 years minimum now and longer in things like my ATV that get less use.

#10 ·
Toyota red/pink for me. I like the colour contrast with the expansion tank...easy to check the level.

I drained the coolant of unknown age on my 2008 and my sons 2006 when we purchased them a few years ago and flushed them 3 times with distilled water bringing them up to temperature each time until the fan kicked in, prior to changing over to the Toyota fluid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.