K3 Dl1000 shift linkage circlip and washer size? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 08-22-2019, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

K3 Dl1000 shift linkage circlip and washer size?

Recently went to Colorado and had a lot of fun. The problem is something knocked off my shift lever- luckily no major damage, just the circlip popped off. It was just unnerving the first time it happened, just after coming over the summit of Ophir Pass on the babyheads going down into Telluride. I went to down shift- and there was nothing there

I visited many hardware stores and used standard size circlips (1/2) but they would not last long. Ended up going back to bailing wire.

Now I want to get the right size circlip- can someone know the correct size?

Also, it looks like there is a plastic bushing or something inside the shift lever- is that replaceable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DesertBike likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-22-2019, 02:49 PM
Farkle Purchasing System

Garage
Size of circlip isn't listed in the parts diagrams, but both the circlip and washer are the same part number for your 2003 Vee and my 2007 Vee. I can measure my circlip later and post dimensions. It's probably a standard metric circlip size.

The shift lever bushing is either bronze or brass. Not sure it can really be replaced, it's more or less built into the lever. Maybe with the right press you could get it out, but it would be a whole lot easier just to get a new lever. Is your bushing damaged?

2007 Vee with too many farkles and 50k+ (s)miles

Last edited by DesertBike; 08-22-2019 at 02:59 PM.
post #3 of 13 Old 08-22-2019, 02:58 PM
Farkle Purchasing System

Garage
FWIW the washer (part number 09160-12011) is described as WASHER (12.5X20X1), which I'm sure are metric dimensions (mm). With any luck it's not some weird one-off part, maybe you can find something at a hardware store that will work.
WanderWill likes this.

post #4 of 13 Old 08-22-2019, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

@DesertBike - it looks like it is only 25%-50% there on the inside, not covering the whole interior. We used parts from a Pepsi bottle to make a temporary plastic bushing. Which fell out a few hours later the next time the shift lever came off.

post #5 of 13 Old 08-22-2019, 03:18 PM
Farkle Purchasing System

Garage
That's so weird that the circlip fell off though, without also wrecking your shift lever.

It's possible the bushing is very worn, given the age of the bike. How many miles?

post #6 of 13 Old 08-22-2019, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

82,000 miles.

Might be time for a new shift lever- and one with a pivoting shift stud.

DesertBike likes this.
post #7 of 13 Old 08-22-2019, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertBike View Post
That's so weird that the circlip fell off though, without also wrecking your shift lever.

It's possible the bushing is very worn, given the age of the bike. How many miles?

But yes, I am so excited it did fall off without damaging anything!

There was also that time I had the slow speed low side in the mud early in the trip... but that was after the circlip came off the first time.

post #8 of 13 Old 08-22-2019, 04:26 PM
Farkle Purchasing System

Garage
At 83k miles, the original pivot bushing was probably just worn. Apparently, worn to the point that there was lots of slop. Enough slop to make the lever push off the circlip, I guess.

But hey, at least you didn't get a bent lever or linkage rod.

Now that I think about it, you may be able to replace or repair the shifter's pivot bushing. If the wear is even enough, meaning the hole is still circular and pretty much centered, just larger, I bet you could push in a slightly smaller bushing. Then drill or file out the difference.

Given that the lever is otherwise intact, it would be a real shame to have to replace it entirely.

post #9 of 13 Old 08-22-2019, 04:54 PM
Farkle Purchasing System

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderWill View Post
82,000 miles.

Might be time for a new shift lever- and one with a pivoting shift stud.

The good news about the OEM shifter peg is that it will break off without Pretzel-ing the rest of the shift lever, or, worse, damaging your transmission. The linkage rod is also "sacrificial" in this sense.

I found that out the hard way, on a dirt road about a year ago.

I repaired my shifter peg by hollowing out the peg, threading the inside using a screw (it's aluminum after all), then bolting the peg back to the lever body. Used that for a few weeks while I waited for a replacement OEM lever.

I probably could have kept riding with the repaired lever, but it seemed prudent to have a shifter peg that had not already been broken once.

Vstroma sells a shift lever for the DL650 (DL650 - Folding Foot Shift Lever) with a foldling peg. However, I don't think it would fit a DL1000, at least not without some modification. The vendor may know.

Another option: Tusk does make a folding shifter peg thingy: https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...lacement-tip-p

Obviously, some re-shaping of the factory shift lever would be required for that to work, but given that it's made of aluminum shouldn't be too tough.

I kinda want to buy one & try fitting it to my old, spare shift lever, given that I already broke off the original peg.
WanderWill likes this.

Last edited by DesertBike; 08-22-2019 at 05:04 PM.
post #10 of 13 Old 08-22-2019, 07:27 PM
Farkle Purchasing System

Garage
btw that Circlip has these dimensions (to nearest 0.5mm):

outer diameter = 15 mm
inner diameter = 11.5 mm
distance between eyes = 6 mm

Hope that helps.

Mine is a bit mangled - might go get a replacement tomorrow, if so can verify size.
WanderWill likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode