This is the story of my fuel pump.
So this should work for all the "K" bikes. K2 through K9 I believe. I don't know anything about the "L" series as I don't have one. As I'm going through the bike fixing this and flushing that, I found out that the fuel pump was thoroughly stuck due to sitting. I called Suzuki, and the price they gave me was just unreal! $660.00 for a fuel pump assembly!
Not having that kind of money for this project I tore the pump assembly down until I had the bare pump sitting in my hand, and guess what! It has a Mitsubishi logo stamped right into the top. Much googling insued. Turns out this is the same fuel pump that is used in the same years Mitsubishi Lancer. I strutted on down to Napa with my old fuel pump and told them to look for a 2005 Mitsubishi Lancer. They came back with a Napa Branded pump, part number B-0069-E.
Now doing a side by side comparison these pumps are very similar, but not exact. They are, however, close enough.
So the Napa pump has a little nubbin on the bottom that needs to be cut off. It's very tough plastic. A decent sized pair of sidecutters will do, but I broke the tip off a small pair of Exelite cutters! :doh:
Now that I have my good pump and I've done the nubbin-ectomy it's time to get power to it. The Napa pump has the + and - pins in opposite places than the Mitsu pump. It also has a shroud around it for some unknown connector. I simply Dremel-ed off the shroud and soldered straight to the pins.
Now the pick-up filter or filter sock or whatever you want to call it. The stock suzuki one doesn't fit. Mine was extremely crusty anyways.
I bought a generic one from Napa that fits this pump. It's meant for a car, so it's way too big for us.
So I cut it in half! The white plastic is there to help it keep it's shape, but we are cramming it into a tiny space so just take that out too.
I clamped it into some needle nose vice-grips and used my soldering iron to melt the cut end shut. Worked great.
Now there's a rubber cushion and a plastic clip that holds the bottom of the pump. This doesn't fit the larger outlet of the napa pump. So out comes the cutters again!
Ok, time for re-assembly!
New O-rings because the old ones swelled so bad they wouldn't fit anymore.
Pump and housing and filter sock shoved into place.
Finished off with a zip tie to prevent the wires from fouling the float.
All done. I know it looks rusty, but whatever is left has survived a rust converter and a tiny wire wheel on a dremel. It can stay...
That silver can looking thing right under the float bracket is your fuel pressure regulator. If that goes bad I'm not sure what could be done. The late John Of Char over at Vstrom.info measured the fuel pressure at 43 PSI. I will probably measure mine asap to make sure my regulator is OK. I soaked it in rust converter and sprayed it out with WD-40 after.
All said and done I paid a little over 90 bucks for the new pump, sock and the external filter. That's a FAR CRY from the $660 that suzukli wanted! Also, Suzuki America didn't have the pump. It would have come from Japan and taken weeks.