StromTrooper banner

COBDR and IDBDR in September

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  vanislejay 
#1 ·
Has anyone here done the COBDR and IDBDR on a Vee? I'm planning to do the majority of them both in September. What besides my spirit am I going to break when I do this?

For offroad upgrades I have a solid skidplate, crashbars, tough handguards, a raised fender, raising links, fork gaiters, and a 16T front sprocket. I'm not scared to drop it offroad, I've done that before.

I feel like I am prepared, just wanted to check in if anyone has done these routes on a Vee before.

Reactions: prepper
#2 ·
Please check your rotor magnets and jbweld them, if you haven't already. Check your suspension; if it's stock and lowered, I'd assume you're going to be bottoming out a *lot* unless you don't weigh much. And of utmost importance: make sure your chain is in tip-top shape and stays that way! I know a guy who's chain broke on a mildly gnarly hill climb due to lack of appropriate chain maintenance...and has a bent output shaft to show for it. Full motor teardown necessary to fix it!

I'm super excited for you and can't wait to hear your ride reports! Are you planning on posting your adventures somewhere?

Full disclosure: I've never done any of the BDR, let alone on a Vee, but have been wondering lately if it's possible, so take my suggestions with a grain of salt. :)

#4 ·
Did you read the OP wrong? I have raising links, it's about 1.5" higher than stock.

I have done big trips before, rotor magnets are in good shape as of my trip up north last summer, and I have a voltmeter to keep an eye on them.

The chain is in good shape, only has about 1,000 miles on it, I changed it and sprockets a month ago.

I always want to write ride reports but I rarely actually make the time for them. Maybe this will be the year, I'll maybe reporpose this thread if I do. I am going out for a month, looping from Montreal to those BDRs and back.

#3 ·
I've ridden the South half of the Washington BDR and later found that I had ridden some of the Colorado BDR route all on good dirt bikes at 70 years old+-. My son was on a Wee and did fine, much faster than the old guy. The Colorado BDR is much more challenging in places. Large broken rock and like that. Very uncomfortable and awkward to ride on. Steep drop-offs along many of the roads. If you are strong enough and have good stamina and off-road skills, I think you can do it. Some of the roads are just dirt roads, ending in steep drops between huge rocks where you can break ribs. (ask me how I know) Use good dirt tires.

#5 ·
I just put on a new 50/50 on the rear and my front 50/50 is in good shape. I will be ATGATT with offroad gear. I don't have a ton of offroad experience on a bike, but I have taken an offroad course, practised a bit on some local trails, and done about 1000km on really bad gravel, certainly not as much preparation as I would have liked. My slow speed skills are good, and I'm good at picking lines, so hopefully the other skills I need will improve through the experience. I don't think I would ever feel prepared for this really, but that's how you get better.

Reactions: bobbyvstrom
#6 ·
Yep, sorry; I missed "raising links" in the OP! A month long trip qualifies as "epic" in my book; I hope you can manage an update now and then...that'd be a cool read!

#7 ·
My longest motorcycle trip before this was two weeks from Victoria to Montreal via the Yukon. This one is essentially that but in a loop so twice the riding. It certainly qualifies as epic for me!

Reactions: WildDoktor
#8 ·
I'm back and almost nothing broke! The trip was a total blast, I'm going to try to write a ride report for y'all over the next couple weeks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.