COBDR and IDBDR in September - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

 7Likes
  • 1 Post By vanislejay
  • 1 Post By vanislejay
  • 1 Post By vanislejay
  • 4 Post By vanislejay
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 08-21-2019, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!
 
vanislejay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 670
COBDR and IDBDR in September

Has anyone here done the COBDR and IDBDR on a Vee? I'm planning to do the majority of them both in September. What besides my spirit am I going to break when I do this?

For offroad upgrades I have a solid skidplate, crashbars, tough handguards, a raised fender, raising links, fork gaiters, and a 16T front sprocket. I'm not scared to drop it offroad, I've done that before.

I feel like I am prepared, just wanted to check in if anyone has done these routes on a Vee before.
prepper likes this.

2003 DL1000
Too much other broken stuff to list
vanislejay is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 08-21-2019, 01:34 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!
 
WildDoktor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: NorCal
Posts: 382
Garage
Please check your rotor magnets and jbweld them, if you haven't already. Check your suspension; if it's stock and lowered, I'd assume you're going to be bottoming out a *lot* unless you don't weigh much. And of utmost importance: make sure your chain is in tip-top shape and stays that way! I know a guy who's chain broke on a mildly gnarly hill climb due to lack of appropriate chain maintenance...and has a bent output shaft to show for it. Full motor teardown necessary to fix it!

I'm super excited for you and can't wait to hear your ride reports! Are you planning on posting your adventures somewhere?

Full disclosure: I've never done any of the BDR, let alone on a Vee, but have been wondering lately if it's possible, so take my suggestions with a grain of salt. :-)

2004 V-Strom 1000 (currently broken - parts received - repairs in progress - snag hit - repairs on pause - unsnagged - repairs in progress)
Two Brothers with P1 tips, PCIII USB, SuperBrace Fork Brace, K&N filters, ROX bar risers, Kappa top and side cases, MadStad, Givi tall windshield, Givi engine guards, Sargent Seat, 12 volt air compressor, 530 Conversion, 17/44, SpeedoDRD, Rudolph Nose and Antlers
WildDoktor is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 08-21-2019, 01:48 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Bremerton, Washington
Posts: 1,428
I've ridden the South half of the Washington BDR and later found that I had ridden some of the Colorado BDR route all on good dirt bikes at 70 years old+-. My son was on a Wee and did fine, much faster than the old guy. The Colorado BDR is much more challenging in places. Large broken rock and like that. Very uncomfortable and awkward to ride on. Steep drop-offs along many of the roads. If you are strong enough and have good stamina and off-road skills, I think you can do it. Some of the roads are just dirt roads, ending in steep drops between huge rocks where you can break ribs. (ask me how I know) Use good dirt tires.
bobbyvstrom is offline  
 
post #4 of 8 Old 08-21-2019, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!
 
vanislejay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildDoktor View Post
Please check your rotor magnets and jbweld them, if you haven't already. Check your suspension; if it's stock and lowered, I'd assume you're going to be bottoming out a *lot* unless you don't weigh much. And of utmost importance: make sure your chain is in tip-top shape and stays that way! I know a guy who's chain broke on a mildly gnarly hill climb due to lack of appropriate chain maintenance...and has a bent output shaft to show for it. Full motor teardown necessary to fix it!

I'm super excited for you and can't wait to hear your ride reports! Are you planning on posting your adventures somewhere?

Full disclosure: I've never done any of the BDR, let alone on a Vee, but have been wondering lately if it's possible, so take my suggestions with a grain of salt. :-)
Did you read the OP wrong? I have raising links, it's about 1.5" higher than stock.

I have done big trips before, rotor magnets are in good shape as of my trip up north last summer, and I have a voltmeter to keep an eye on them.

The chain is in good shape, only has about 1,000 miles on it, I changed it and sprockets a month ago.

I always want to write ride reports but I rarely actually make the time for them. Maybe this will be the year, I'll maybe reporpose this thread if I do. I am going out for a month, looping from Montreal to those BDRs and back.

2003 DL1000
Too much other broken stuff to list
vanislejay is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 08-21-2019, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!
 
vanislejay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyvstrom View Post
I've ridden the South half of the Washington BDR and later found that I had ridden some of the Colorado BDR route all on good dirt bikes at 70 years old+-. My son was on a Wee and did fine, much faster than the old guy. The Colorado BDR is much more challenging in places. Large broken rock and like that. Very uncomfortable and awkward to ride on. Steep drop-offs along many of the roads. If you are strong enough and have good stamina and off-road skills, I think you can do it. Some of the roads are just dirt roads, ending in steep drops between huge rocks where you can break ribs. (ask me how I know) Use good dirt tires.
I just put on a new 50/50 on the rear and my front 50/50 is in good shape. I will be ATGATT with offroad gear. I don't have a ton of offroad experience on a bike, but I have taken an offroad course, practised a bit on some local trails, and done about 1000km on really bad gravel, certainly not as much preparation as I would have liked. My slow speed skills are good, and I'm good at picking lines, so hopefully the other skills I need will improve through the experience. I don't think I would ever feel prepared for this really, but that's how you get better.
bobbyvstrom likes this.

2003 DL1000
Too much other broken stuff to list
vanislejay is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 08-21-2019, 04:25 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!
 
WildDoktor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: NorCal
Posts: 382
Garage
Yep, sorry; I missed "raising links" in the OP! A month long trip qualifies as "epic" in my book; I hope you can manage an update now and then...that'd be a cool read!

2004 V-Strom 1000 (currently broken - parts received - repairs in progress - snag hit - repairs on pause - unsnagged - repairs in progress)
Two Brothers with P1 tips, PCIII USB, SuperBrace Fork Brace, K&N filters, ROX bar risers, Kappa top and side cases, MadStad, Givi tall windshield, Givi engine guards, Sargent Seat, 12 volt air compressor, 530 Conversion, 17/44, SpeedoDRD, Rudolph Nose and Antlers
WildDoktor is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 08-21-2019, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!
 
vanislejay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildDoktor View Post
Yep, sorry; I missed "raising links" in the OP! A month long trip qualifies as "epic" in my book; I hope you can manage an update now and then...that'd be a cool read!
My longest motorcycle trip before this was two weeks from Victoria to Montreal via the Yukon. This one is essentially that but in a loop so twice the riding. It certainly qualifies as epic for me!
WildDoktor likes this.

2003 DL1000
Too much other broken stuff to list
vanislejay is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 10-01-2019, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!
 
vanislejay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 670
I'm back and almost nothing broke! The trip was a total blast, I'm going to try to write a ride report for y'all over the next couple weeks.
Gert, WildDoktor, slovcan and 1 others like this.

2003 DL1000
Too much other broken stuff to list
vanislejay is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome