New Rear Sprocket changed Speedo - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

1Likes
  • 1 Post By DXDL

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 08-15-2019, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

New Rear Sprocket changed Speedo

I just went from a stock 42 tooth rear sprocket to a 44 tooth. Of course I knew that would change a few things. I actually like the difference in performance as I now don't have to be doing 80mph to utilize O/D and in town slower speed cornering is much smoother. But until I actually figure out how fast I'm going it will be harder to pass the PO PO patrol sitting with his radar out! I was in a fast flow of traffic and looked down at almost 100mph on the speedo!!! This seemed a little more extreme than I thought it would be. Anyone else have any experience with this and anything else I should worry about that is not the same as before? Thanks much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-15-2019, 07:39 PM
Stromthusiast!

I went with a 16/45 gear setup which I knew would throw off my speedo. As most will tell you, your speed is about 8% off from the factory. I installed the SpeedoDRD healer and i set it with my GPS. Very easy to set up.

Link: http://shop.12oclocklabs.com/index.p...&product_id=59
WildDoktor likes this.

2008 DL1000
42,800 miles
Saddleman seat, upgraded stator, Shinko 705's, Chain Alignment Spacer, SpeedoDRD Healer, ATV High handlebar, Zumo 395LM GPS,
LED Headlight bulbs Kit 50W 6500k Fanless, Tusk Folding Shift Lever Black/Silver, Wide Black Aluminium Foot Pegs, Foot peg lowering kit,
Givi engine guards, clutch lever push rod mod, accessory fuse panel under seat, up and back risers.
post #3 of 4 Old 08-15-2019, 07:42 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DXDL View Post
I went with a 16/45 gear setup which I knew would throw off my speedo. As most will tell you, your speed is about 8% off from the factory. I installed the SpeedoDRD healer and i set it with my GPS. Very easy to set up.

+1 on this!

Here's my writeup on my install.

2004 V-Strom 1000 (currently broken - parts received - repairs in progress - snag hit - repairs on pause - unsnagged - repairs in progress)
Two Brothers with P1 tips, PCIII USB, SuperBrace Fork Brace, K&N filters, ROX bar risers, Kappa top and side cases, MadStad, Givi tall windshield, Givi engine guards, Sargent Seat, 12 volt air compressor, 530 Conversion, 17/44, SpeedoDRD, Rudolph Nose and Antlers

post #4 of 4 Old 08-15-2019, 08:46 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DXDL View Post

This 'fixed' the speedometer reading for my 45T rear sprocket. Mine was reading 10 mph high at an actual 65 mph.

"There comes a time in the affairs of men, when we must take the bull by the tail and face the situation."
W. C. Fields
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode