2004 vstrom, just purchased - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

3Likes
  • 2 Post By WildDoktor
  • 1 Post By DXDL

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 08-15-2019, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

2004 vstrom, just purchased

Hi all

I just got an 04 Vstrom 1000, I am 6'3 and 230 and it fits me great, that was the main reason I got it. I have a Katana 600 as a my first bike and I was cramped.

The Katana having a more aggressive seating position was something I got used to, so now sitting upright I feel less confident, I am sure this is just an issue of getting used to it. But in general is one position considered more controlled or agile than the other for regular riding?

I notice my clutch is tall, meaning compared to the Katana I have to let is out more to have 1st gear engage, is this typical with these bikes?

Anyway I am excited and happy to join the community!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-16-2019, 05:26 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Welcome to the Forum. In reply to your clutch engagement setting, there is a small wheel on the clutch lever to allow for adjustment. If that does not work for you, have a look at https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl1000-...lever-mod.html. There are a few pix of the clutch lever and the adjustment wheel.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-16-2019, 10:37 AM
$tromtrooper

Welcome to the team!

Two wheelz for realz!
'18 DL1000XT

post #4 of 8 Old 08-16-2019, 01:03 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Welcome!
I think youíll find that after you get used to the somewhat top heavy nature of the bike that it is one of the most sweet handling agile and confidence inspiring big bikes out there.
At least that is my experience, but Iím coming from 40 years of riding outdated vintage bikes ( 1977 BMW, 1985 Honda VFR, 1985 Yamaha Seca 650) and have always subscribed to the ďriding slow bikes fastĒ philosophy.
Iím continually amazed at how sweet my bike handles and can probably never go back to riding a vintage bike daily, although I do seriously regret selling the Yamaha which was an amazing bike and every bit as fun as the Strom in its own way.
Also Iíve found tire choice is a huge factor, Iíve had some sets of tires that just did not turn in or feel right on bikes and greatly impacted my confidence. Tire profile and rubber compound make significant readily felt changes in the handling of any bike.
Iíve been running Shinkos on my bikes for quite some time and love them. The Shinko 805s on my bike now feel great and I couldnít be happier at how the bike handles with them.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-16-2019, 01:51 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Garage
Welcome! Since you're a tall guy, check the forks and the rear "dog bones". The seam where the fork cap meets the fork tube should be even with the top of the triple tree clamps. I can't recall at the moment the stock length of the rear shock linkage, but do a search to find that number and then measure yours. Longer linkage = lowered bike, and that's *not* what you want! These two things will effect handling and confidence, so check them sooner than later!

2004 V-Strom 1000 (currently broken - parts received - repairs in progress - snag hit - repairs on pause - unsnagged - repairs in progress)
Two Brothers with P1 tips, PCIII USB, SuperBrace Fork Brace, K&N filters, ROX bar risers, Kappa top and side cases, MadStad, Givi tall windshield, Givi engine guards, Sargent Seat, 12 volt air compressor, 530 Conversion, 17/44, SpeedoDRD, Rudolph Nose and Antlers
post #6 of 8 Old 08-16-2019, 01:55 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Garage
And for grins, here's my cut-n-paste advice for folks thinking of buying this vintage of 1000 strom. Still applies now that you've purchased, but...now you're committed! :-)

Things to check before buying...if you don't understand what some of these are, do a search here...they've been talked about a lot. :-)

1. Rotor magnets. If the PO hasn't specifically said he's done the jb weld fix, you'll have to do it. Good indication is if the ad says "new battery"; moved magnets mean the stator doesn't produce enough voltage, so the battery doesn't get charged fully. Also, if a voltmeter on the battery with the bike running at 5k rpm doesn't read between 14v-14.9v, then the bike has electrical issues that a new battery probably won't fix.
2. Stator. As above; if the voltage is low, it's also likely that you need a new stator.
3. Regulator / Rectifier. As above, if voltage is high, you may need a new r/r.
4. Chain and sprockets. Bad chain will cost you a motor. Don't ask why I know!
5. Lowering / raising links. If the bike is too short or too tall, changing the dogbones may be in your future.
6. Deceleration popping. Fix could be anything from an air filter cleaning to re-mapping the aftermarket power commander.
7. Suspension. If it's all original, it probably all needs to be replaced!
8. Bad steering head bearings - lift the front tire off the ground and gently swing the handle bars past center a few times; if there seems to be a "detent" in the middle, you need new bearings.
9. Brakes. They're probably due for a flush. Just sayin'.
10. Clutch. If it chatters, it's due for a replacement basket.
11. Farkles - crash bars, skid plate, and luggage. Even if you don't think you need them, it's easier to sell them than to find and buy them!
Gert and Rides like this.

2004 V-Strom 1000 (currently broken - parts received - repairs in progress - snag hit - repairs on pause - unsnagged - repairs in progress)
Two Brothers with P1 tips, PCIII USB, SuperBrace Fork Brace, K&N filters, ROX bar risers, Kappa top and side cases, MadStad, Givi tall windshield, Givi engine guards, Sargent Seat, 12 volt air compressor, 530 Conversion, 17/44, SpeedoDRD, Rudolph Nose and Antlers
post #7 of 8 Old 08-16-2019, 07:54 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

I did the clutch lever mod yesterday with my dremel. I got the length down to 1.37" Makes a huge difference in location of clutch engagement and let off. About half way for mine now instead of at the very top.
Gert likes this.

2008 DL1000
42,800 miles
Saddleman seat, upgraded stator, Shinko 705's, Chain Alignment Spacer, SpeedoDRD Healer, Tusk ATV High handlebar, Zumo 395LM GPS,
LED Headlight bulbs Kit 50W 6500k Fanless, Tusk Folding Shift Lever Black/Silver, Wide Black Aluminium Foot Pegs, Foot peg lowering kit, GL1800 foot pegs
Givi engine guards, clutch lever push rod mod, accessory fuse panel under seat, up and back risers.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-17-2019, 04:13 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

@Rides , you may want to follow up on a foot peg lowing kit, https://www.adventuretech.biz/footpe...ering-kit.html.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode