Need help with throttle cables - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

3Likes
  • 1 Post By WildDoktor
  • 2 Post By Burttj03

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 08-13-2019, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Need help with throttle cables

Long story short, had to take off the throttle body assembly on my 2006 Vee, which required removing the throttle cables from the throttle body assembly. The disassembly went great! However, now that I’m trying to reassemble everything, I can’t seem to get the throttle cables figured out...

I checked the manual and many threads to find a solution, but haven’t had any luck. I have the proper cables in the proper “slots” on the throttle body assembly, and they are seated to what I believe to be correct, but when I try to turn the throttle it is very difficult, and then it won’t return on its own at all! I have tried tightening and loosing both the throttle return cable and the throttle pull cable, but I can’t seem to find a spot in either cable adjuster that makes a significant difference of resolves the issue! I have not touched the minor adjusters up near the throttle itself, and I didn’t touch them when I removed the throttle cables.

I have checked to make sure that the cables aren’t binding anywhere, and that the cables were not kinked. So, I have no idea what the issue is.

So, can anyone help me figure this out?

PS: In the picture you can see the throttle body assembly is taken out the cylinder boots. This is just for ease of access and adjustment
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_1565723647508.jpg (316.9 KB, 4 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-13-2019, 04:42 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Maybe you actually have the cables reversed in that picture? (I see you have tape on them, so maybe not.)

Post up a picture or two of where the cables go around the "drum".

If nobody comments before I get home later tonight, I'll post up a couple pictures of mine...I just took the TBs off but have left the cables attached, so they're in their stock positions.
RLBranson likes this.

2004 V-Strom 1000 (currently broken - parts received - repairs in progress - snag hit - repairs on pause - unsnagged - repairs in progress)
Two Brothers with P1 tips, PCIII USB, SuperBrace Fork Brace, K&N filters, ROX bar risers, Kappa top and side cases, MadStad, Givi tall windshield, Givi engine guards, Sargent Seat, 12 volt air compressor, 530 Conversion, 17/44, SpeedoDRD, Rudolph Nose and Antlers
post #3 of 6 Old 08-13-2019, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Well I looked at the manual and made sure the correct throttle cables were in each spot, and when I had them off I pulled the throttle in and out and saw the action of each cable to make sure that I had the right cables in each spot. So I’m really dumbfounded as to what the issue might be! Maybe I’m overlooking something?

Here are some more pics:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_1565732536635.jpg (338.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg image_1565732588261.jpg (348.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg image_1565732661416.jpg (348.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg image_1565732879747.jpg (317.9 KB, 1 views)

post #4 of 6 Old 08-13-2019, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
The issue has been solved! I spent hours trying to find this problem and fix it. I call my dad and he comes over: in 30 seconds he grabs ahold of both cables, tells me to twist the throttle back and forth, and “click” all of a sudden there’s more slack and the throttle is turning the way it should be—hah!! We’re guessing that one or both of the cables must have been bound somewhere inside of the casing where I couldn’t see, and when he pulled them while I twisted they must have broken free.

Just another example proving you never stop needing your dad’s help!

For good measure, I took apart my throttle and cleaned everything/lubed it all, and now it snaps right back in place even better than before. Now just a few slight tweaks in free play adjustment and I should be good to go!

Thanks for your input and help!

Take care ,

Tanner
Gert and WildDoktor like this.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-13-2019, 10:39 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
buy dad a few beers if you haven't already.

'08 DR650, '07 DL1000
"And anyways, if they don't have motorcycles in heaven, I'd rather go to hell. I'm pretty sure they will have loads of them there." (deelip, 2016)
post #6 of 6 Old 08-14-2019, 02:31 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by teevee View Post
buy dad a few beers if you haven't already.
Haha, we enjoyed a few! 😉
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode