Looking for a DL 1000 Fuel pump - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

3Likes
  • 1 Post By BackPacker
  • 1 Post By Yarz1
  • 1 Post By blaustrom

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 08-10-2019, 03:21 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Looking for a DL 1000 Fuel pump

I dont know if anyonr can help me bit im looking for a Suzuki VStrom DL 1000 fuel pump. I need the complete unit and will import if i have to. Im from South Africa.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-10-2019, 03:58 AM
Stromthusiast!

Can't you do a fuel filter bypass on your existing fuel pump, http://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php/topic,6105.0.html? Another alternative is to research installing an after market fuel pump. HiFlo make an after market fuel pump for the V-Strom. There are a few posts wrt after market fuel pumps, on this site plus on the VSRI site, https://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php?
post #3 of 8 Old 08-10-2019, 04:05 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Hi Gert. Baie dankie maar daai link gee nie genoeg informasie nie. Ry jy ook n VStrom?

post #4 of 8 Old 08-10-2019, 06:30 AM
Stromthusiast!

I'll give you the summary of that link.

The Suzuki fuel pump has an integrated high pressure filter. This filter is needed to filter out the finest particles that could otherwise clog your injectors. Do NOT confuse this with the mesh "strainer" which is on the outside/bottom of the pump, and is only intended for course particles that could clog the pump.

Once the filter fills up, it restricts the flow of fuel and should be replaced. There is a fuel flow test that you can perform to see if this is the case. However, once you've confirmed it's the filter, there's not a lot you can do as the filter is integral to the pump. You can only replace the complete pump, which is costly.

Some clever people on VSRI have come up with the "external fuel filter mod". This consists of two parts. First, it requires you to drill a hole in a strategic location in the pump, which allows the fuel to bypass the clogged internal filter. So the pump can now pump freely, but the output of the pump is unfiltered. Second, you splice in an external (automotive) fuel filter in the fuel line from the pump to the injectors. This then replaces the function of the internal filter.

The drill-the-hole-in-the-pump bit is relatively easy. There are plenty pictures in the thread listed earlier to see where the hole goes. However, some people have problems viewing the pictures in the thread so a few days ago I copied them over to here: https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-d...ypass-mod.html

The splice-in-an-automotive-filter is a bit more involved. The original fuel line is plastic and can't be cut to insert a fuel filter. So instead you need to buy a length of new FI-grade fuel hose, splice the filter in line (use proper FI-grade clamps), attach two connectors and use that assembly to replace the existing line. Sounds like a lot of work, but you'll likely find that taking the plastic and the tank off and putting it back on is the majority of the work.

In the thread listed above the suggestion is to carefully snip the original fuel line off the connectors so that you can re-use the connectors and O-rings. However, in a later post (reply #311) somebody found that a particular Dorman connector (#800-081) works just fine. However, I don't know if you can obtain those in ZA within a reasonable timeframe, so you might have to reuse the existing connectors. The rest of the components (a length of FI grade fuel line, an in-line filter and four FI grade hose clamps) should be obtainable virtually anywhere from any auto parts store.
Gert likes this.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-10-2019, 07:37 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Thanks so much. I will do that. They charging me $1000.

post #6 of 8 Old 08-11-2019, 04:17 AM
Stromthusiast!

Jlab, In reply to your query whether I ride a V-Strom, yes I do. I own two gen1 DL650.
If I recall correctly, the K4-K6 Wee fuel pump is the same as used on the early model Vee. It is strongly recommended that you confirm for yourself whether the part numbers are the same for your ride. A typical site to look up the part numbers is https://www.mrcycles.com/oemparts/c/...torcycle/parts.
To add to BackPacker's fuel pump bypass summary, if you should do the bypass, ensure that you make use of high pressure hose clamps and NOT the cheap garden hose clamp.
post #7 of 8 Old 08-11-2019, 09:19 AM
Stromthusiast!

Jlab, if you decide to do the fuel filter mod, don't overthink it like I did. And, in addition to using pressure rated fuel injection fuel line and specific FI clamps (per Gert's comments), I would also suggest your new in-line filter be rated for a fuel injection system. The VStrom fuel injection system has something like 41-43 psi in the line. A carb system typically has 6-10 psi. So a fuel injection in-line filter would be a better option. Here is a thread of mine when I was considering the mod. I over thought everything and sorta got paralyzed at the point of drilling the hole before I just did it. In this thread I posted some info on the fuel filters that I researched. Hope it is helpful https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl1000-...ilter-mod.html
Gert likes this.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-11-2019, 10:55 AM
Stromthusiast!

Here is another recent refresher of the bypass including info about the filter to use:
https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-d...ypass-mod.html
Gert likes this.

Blau1 2004 DL650-sold
Blau2 2014 DL1000A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode