My Bike Was Getting 15 mpg - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000 from 2002-2012 DL1000 from 2002-2012 (K2-L2)

2Likes
  • 2 Post By Rides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 08-09-2019, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
My Bike Was Getting 15 mpg

I re-homed a very abused 2002 V Strom which seemed to run fine but was low on power and had incredibly horrendous cutch chudder.
The bike was spitting gas out the tailpipes and and was obviously running ultra rich but started, idled and ran okay, just very soft on power and ran cold. The plugs curiously looked the perfect shade and in decent condition.
I started by going through all of the electrical connections from the sensors and all of the wiring harness connections in general. The bike having been left out in Florida had badly oxidized connections, every one including all of the various grounding blocks.
I Emory papered and de oxidized as best as possible and used liberal amounts of silicon grease. Next I replaced the tps, did a throttle body sync, and replaced the plugs. The bike was now getting over 20 mpg and still spitting gas out the tailpipes so I figured I probably had a stuck open injector and ordered new o rings, filter baskets and seals as well as an $25 ultrasonic cleaner and injector tester from Amazon.
An ultrasonic cleaner is a necessary item I now believe for any owner with an injected bike who does their own wrenching. Continuously pulsing the injectors in the cleaner they puked a white milky substance for 15 solid minutes. It was amazing and mesmerizing to watch, the material came out in white, milky strings like the swirls inside a marble. After reinstall the bike runs like gangbusters and with a Yosh box tune of 2% rich idle I can lug at 2500 and the motor is as smooth as silk! My mileage seems to be in the 30s now but I have a 43 on the back and I always ride it I like I stole it, canít help it!
The injectors are the same brand as used on mercury outboards so filter baskets are cheap and easy to find, Iíll post a link when I find it. Since I cleaned my injectors I have lent my cleaner to a friend whose bike was running a little lean as per plugs, he was blown away by how much crap came out of all of his injectors.
This is my first injected bike in over forty years of being a bike owner and now I know if I ever buy another, which is likely, Iíll clean the injectors first thing.
notacop and Gert like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-10-2019, 12:19 AM
Stromthusiast!

Not sure of the cause of the injector clogging. My 04 Wee is still getting decent, 50's, mpg at 100 k miles.
But the info on the injectors being common with another use is interesting and perhaps a source of lower cost replacements.
post #3 of 4 Old 08-10-2019, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
If you look at water in gas it starts to form a white jelly, I think this is a hydrate substance that can fully crystallize and harden inside injectors, at least thatís my theory.

post #4 of 4 Old 08-10-2019, 08:02 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
also, the ethanol in gas turns whitish when mixed with water

'08 DR650, '07 DL1000
"And anyways, if they don't have motorcycles in heaven, I'd rather go to hell. I'm pretty sure they will have loads of them there." (deelip, 2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode